'Holy grail' 1967 Chevrolet Corvette L88 worth millions up for auction tomorrow @ Mecum Glendale, AZ

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My favorite Corvette is the '67 L88 (in yellow) so when I saw tonight on Fox News that Mecum was going to auction it tomorrow in Glendale, it got my attention. This is going to be one heck of an auction to watch. The Glendale Mecum Auction will air at 2:00 PM tomorrow (Saturday) on NBCSN. Fortunately it's on YouTube-TV! Yes!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Too bad Indiana Jones isn’t looking for a new car, because the "Holy Grail" of Corvettes is coming up for auction.

l88-4.jpg

A one of a kind 1967 Chevrolet Corvette L88 is scheduled to cross the block at the Mecum Auctions event in Glendale, Ariz., on March 20.

l88-3.jpg

The Sunfire Yellow coupe is one of 20 1967 Corvettes specified with the L88 option package, which essentially turned them into competition cars.

l88-1.jpg

The L88’s were powered by a race-developed 427 cubic-inch V8 that was officially rated at 430 hp, but could reportedly crank out 560 hp on racing fuel, which was a monstrous amount of power for the time.

The cars were also equipped with high performance suspensions, brakes, "rock crusher" close-ratio 4-speed transmissions and Positraction rear axles.

l88-2.jpg

The fully-restored car coming to Mecum is the only known example with factory Sunflower Yellow paint and, more important, the only one with its original numbers-matching engine, which could make it the most-valuable Corvette in the world.

One of the other L88s coupes was auctioned for $3.85 million in 2014 while a convertible went for $3,424,000 in 2013, the two highest prices ever paid at auction for a Corvette.

ajaf1656

Established Member
Damn, that's cool. I always liked the 1967 427 Tri-Power in Marlboro Maroon.
If I had money to burn, I'd get the Superformance Grand Sport so I wouldn't feel bad wailing on a piece of history.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Not a fan of yellow. Ironic that my new to me Fox Body is a factory Mimosa Yellow car lolol

But, seeing how rare the above mentioned Corvette is its going to be wild during bidding. I wonder who's got more **** you money laying around?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
So bad ass. This one will go big for sure

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
This seems to be the year to get top dollar for a car, and this will be no exception.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Have to run some errands today, but told my wife we have to be home by 2:00. I'm recording it, but for some reason watching a recording loses some of the tension and excitement. LOL.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
There is a c3 l88 on bat right now. You can buy both for a complete set. Last one I saw went for 500k IIRC.

ajaf1656

Established Member
Can someone who's able to watch post the result of the auction? I'm in a hotel that doesn't get the channel.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I guess I won't see this auction until tomorrow. YouTube-TV isn't broadcasting any of today's auction beyond 4:00pm. :( I'm hoping tomorrow's segment will be highlights of the rest of today's auctions since it says 'March 20'.

roadracer247

Established Member
Another (IMO overpriced) collectors car that'll spend it's whole life parked behind a rope. Never to be enjoyed. I'm probably just being grumpy, but I just don't get excited anymore by high dollar cars that just sit in collections.

ajaf1656

Established Member
It's only a few lots away and I'm actually streaming it live on regular youtube right now.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
There is one that could probably break these L88 records if it ever came up for auction

1969-chevrolet-corvette-zl1-front-side-yellow-tcb-640x451.jpg

The 1969 ZL-1 there might of been 3 made that went out the door this is probably the most famous. There might be a Fathom Green and a Monza Red also produced . There is also stories and a few documented cases of another 4 test mules that GM made and used during 1969 to 72.

But with a $4718 option cost to a ZL-1 and a base price for a coupe in 1969 at $4,781 no wonder only a hand full was ever made. Seen that estimates have put the cost of the above Daytona Yellow ZL-1 north of almost $6 million

Users who are viewing this thread