Home DIY Projects

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
Since it's April and pretty close to summer time. Wondering if anyone is tackling any DIY Home projects. Anything from making a firepit, new patio, sidewalk, deck, or like me trying to bring life back to the old ass deck on my back porch. Have a little extra money and wanting to fix up my backyard. Would like to see if anyone else has caught the bug to do some landscaping, or anything else. Any good websites on building a sidewalk. Will post pics of the before and after pressure wash of this scum filled deck after I get back from the dentist.

Rat Bastard

RELEASE THE KITTIES!!!!
Established Member
I am currently remodeling the one bathroom in my house. I have ripped out the old plaster walls, installed a new tub and I am laying ceramic tile. Just started installing the tile around the shower this past weekend. I have never worked with ceramic tile and I found some good websites using Google.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
Been refinishing my basement since November (only work on it on the weekends). Gutted the old nasy ass paneling, drop ceiling, wet bar. Framed up the perimeter, insulated, built a couple walls, replaced the old galvenized piping with copper. Almost to the point to where I can start mudding now. Just have to finish drywalling the duct work. Sigh.....then it is on to my sons room to build him a loft then on to my daughters room which is now the computer room...shit never stops.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
lets see, where to start. We will start by painting the living room and guest bedroom, both with 20ft high vaulted ceilings:eek: Then to the master bath where we will be ripping out the old tub for a garden style jacuzzie tube and tileing the walls with marble to match the sink. Then we will move to the kitchen where we will be enclosing the first half of the screened in porch and taking out the wall that seperates the kitchen and porch to enlarged the kitchen and build more cabinets and counter tops. We will then be going to the open part of the porch and will build a cover for it. We then will focus on the garage where we are building stairs to above the ceiling to create a large work area for me and my stuff. Last we will focus on the back yard where we are taking down the chain link fence and replacing it with a solid 6ft high privacy wood fence.

I think that will take up most of the summer. Who knows what else the wife will want to do......:shrug:

theraapster

Established Member
Ripper said:
Since it's April and pretty close to summer time. Wondering if anyone is tackling any DIY Home projects. Anything from making a firepit, new patio, sidewalk, deck, or like me trying to bring life back to the old ass deck on my back porch. Have a little extra money and wanting to fix up my backyard. Would like to see if anyone else has caught the bug to do some landscaping, or anything else. Any good websites on building a sidewalk. Will post pics of the before and after pressure wash of this scum filled deck after I get back from the dentist.

Depending on how much extra money you have laying around you may want to look into just refinishing your deck with a plastic composite. We did that at my parents' house last year and it is so nice. You don't have to worry about slivers or staining ever again. It is pretty expensive though, but I think it was worth it.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I put an 800 square foot addition on my last house. This house, I installed hardwood floors, ceramic tiles with listello border and a partition wall in my three car garage.

Ride Along

i has an avatar!
Established Member
Building on to the garage this summer, since my boyfriend's Cobra has bullied my car out of the garage space that we have.

RGrossman

Established Member
Staining my newly built deck. Staining the railing (MAJOR PITA) makes me wish I had spent the extra 2k on the composite decking.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Heh, yeah. Lets see...

I need to finish painting the kitchen and install chair rail.

Knocking out one wall and putting in a fire place in the family room.

Installing hardwood floors throughout most of the downstairs and up the steps to the landing between the bedrooms.

Stripping and re-staining the deck(Just built and stained it last fall, don't use Oylmpic stain, it SUCKS).

Finishing off our current 1 car garage into a room

Building a detached two car garage

putting in a brick patio at the base of the deck

putting up a small section of fence at the front of the yard, and doing alot of landscaping.

I think that's about it....lol.

92z28

Established Member
My Dad and I are planning on redoing our 6 car garage (yes 6 cars), putting up a better fence for the dogs, and remodeling 3 rooms in our house.

Jgruggs

Established Member
Acid stained the back patio concrete (a cola color) then cut grooves to look like grout around tiles and also cut grooves around the edge to give it a border. Acid stained the border black. Pressured washed the whole project and after 24 hrs drying put down 3 coats of clear concrete sealer. Sealer dried to the touch in an hour , walked on in 2 hrs, moved patio furniture back on the next day. Looks like tile, wife thinks I'm some kinda hero....scored mucho points

Jgruggs

Established Member
Acid stained the back patio concrete (a cola color) then cut grooves to look like grout around tiles and also cut grooves around the edge to give it a border. Acid stained the border black. Pressured washed the whole project and after 24 hrs drying put down 3 coats of clear concrete sealer. Sealer dried to the touch in an hour , walked on in 2 hrs, moved patio furniture back on the next day. Looks like tile, wife thinks I'm some kinda hero....scored mucho points

Allanon

SVT Druid
Established Member
Well other than finishing up my 12 car garage and painting my 45' vaulted dormer ceilings, I don't have much going on. But I do need to wash the Ferrari, after I finish up the Lambo:bored: Seriously though, I finished the basement last summer (1600 sq ft), so I am just going to enjoy it this year. Detached garage for the Cobra and ATV coming next year.

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
I got a whole heap of stuff that's half finished...

Why is it half finished?? Cause I keep opening my big mouth in front of friends and relatives and end up building sh1t at their homes and not mine :bash:

In the last 2 months I've rebuilt and extended a laundry, rebuilt a back wall (incl support beams and brickwork) for a sliding door and window, painted out a 2 bedroom unit, ripped out an old kitchen, designed, built and installed a new one, and rebuilt a rotten floor...

Now, on to my place - maybe: half finished reno with 6inch hardwood floors (laid but not sanded), reconfigure the whole upper floor (walls in but need plaster and cornice), replace all windows with timber over 2 levels (installed but no architrave), 3 new bathrooms (all the stuff is in my shed), 650 square foot balcony over 2 levels (frame is up but no decking on), new kitchen / dining room (external walls bricked in but no concrete slab or frame), oh and finish clearing the dirt from the 20,000 square feet of back yard I ripped up to level out.:cryying:

Any of you guys free to come for a working holiday to Oz :)

Users who are viewing this thread