Home Generators

bigmoose

Established Member
I'm looking for some thoughts and feedback on home standby generators as i'm considering getting one.

I've determined i need 10-12k unit to power my entire house with some headroom. I have natural gas so i plan to go that route. I want a whole house transfer switch as not to deal with individual circuits.

So far I've looked at the Generac Guardian 7033:
http://www.generac.com/all-products.../guardian-series/11kw-7033-whole-house-switch

And the Kohler 12RESVL:
http://www.kohlergenerators.com/home-generators/products/12RESVL

I have a licensed electrician and pipe fitter in the family, so this will be a "self" install. On paper is seems the kohler is a better engine and has better controls as they advertise 1% voltage regulation. The kohler also includes remote monitoring with a decent app, the generac one is optional.

My parents have a generac and have not had a problem. There are also a few generac ones in my neighborhood and they were all humming away during our last outage.

Thoughts?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Most major brands are good. Generac is more popular mainly due to being first to the market.
However, 2 things on these, I prefer the aluminum coated shell on the generac over the steal coated Kohler.
Go overkill....Always. Even if all gas 11KW is not much.
And them saying 12K will run a 5 ton A/C unit is pushing the limits IMO.
For a couple hundred more you can probably go up to a 16KW

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I have a whole house Generac and love it. I've had it for 4 years with no issues whatsoever. I live in the woods off a back that's off a back road so when we lose power it is at least 6 hours. It tests itself once a week so I know it is ready. One thing to consider is in an emergency if you need parts or service which one has a bigger dealer network?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Get the biggest engine you can. Also, if you find a model that runs 1800rpm instead of 3600rpm it will be much quieter. You also probably won't get as much power from NG as you would LP.

bigmoose

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback so far. My AC system is a 2.5 ton LG mini split that draws about 2000-2500 watts when running, it's pretty efficient (23 SEER).

I have a smart zwave meter clamped to my mains in the panel and can view on demand power usage. The max I've seen is 9kw but that was when my electric dryer was running. I plan to switch this to NG soon. When the dryer is not running I've never seen over 5kw. My stove is NG and all my lights are LED. At night with my lights, tv, and NG boiler running I'm using like 1500w.

SID, why do you prefer the aluminum case? Is it quieter?

It's gonna be NG all the way regardless. With the cost and availability of NG in the Northeast LP can't compete.

Last edited:

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback so far. My AC system is a 2.5 ton LG mini split that draws about 2000-2500 watts when running, it's pretty efficient (23 SEER).

I have a smart zwave meter clamped to my mains in the panel and can view on demand power usage. The max I've seen is 9kw but that was when my electric dryer was running. I plan to switch this to NG soon. When the dryer is not running I've never seen over 5kw. My stove is NG and all my lights are LED. At night with my lights, tv, and NG boiler running I'm using like 1500w.

SID, why do you prefer the aluminum case? Is it quieter?

It's gonna be NG all the way regardless. With the cost and availability of NG in the Northeast LP can't compete.
Aluminum doesn't rust. Another advantage with Genrac is it UL listed to be installed with 24 inches of your house. They are all fairly quite. The other brands need a minimum of 5 feet from your house.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Aluminum doesn't rust. Another advantage with Genrac is it UL listed to be installed with 24 inches of your house. They are all fairly quite. The other brands need a minimum of 5 feet from your house.

You still need to be 5 feet from any opening as per code.

OP when we did the load calcs I was right on the line between 11kw and 14kw. The difference being the 14kw's engine used almost twice the fuel (500cc vs 1000cc). Well with the Zombie Apocalypse and all, coupled with my twin 500 gallon tanks. I figured I could bug in a lot longer with the 11kw. As long as I don't run the A/C and the clothes dryer along with everything else in the house at the same time.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
We have an about 20 year old generac that has a GM 4.3 V-6. Sucker is loud, but I sure dont mind, as when its making its racket, it sure beats the alternative. Whole house (minus AC and ovens if I recall). Our case is steel, and it does rust. Aluminum would be nice.

bigmoose

Established Member
I believe they are down to 18" now. Kohler switched from composite to steel to match this distance as well. However I think that's from a non combustible surface. My house is sided with wood shingles, so I think I might need more.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We have an about 20 year old generac that has a GM 4.3 V-6. Sucker is loud, but I sure dont mind, as when its making its racket, it sure beats the alternative. Whole house (minus AC and ovens if I recall). Our case is steel, and it does rust. Aluminum would be nice.

My neighbor has one with a 2.3 Ford in it.

newbie1276

Established Member
I do this for a living. And am a certified dealer for Kohler , Cummins/Onan, Generac, Briggs and Stratton and Winco
The pecking order goes
Onan
Kohler
Generac
Briggs and Stratton
I have installed just shy of 100 kohler units in 2017
They all have NFPA 18inch setback
So they can all be 18 inches from the house. No need to dig a trench anymore
I have a Kohler 20resd and it has been worry free for 2 years.
Kohler also provides oncue monitoring for free. Email notifications of any problems and when it is running.
Onan is the quietest and they also have power command portal monitoring at no charge but that comes with a premium price for the quiet and the Cummins name.
I make a ton of money on generac warranty so that speaks for it self and they along with Briggs and Stratton charge monthly for monitoring.
Stay away from the models labeled RESL, RESVL
They are watered down big box store versions.
In the early years the L stood for Lowe's
3600 RPM is going to be air cooled
1800 RPM is going to be water-cooled which is quiter but more money.
One of the biggest mistakes my customers make is they only want certain circuits to be powered and once it is done they regret not doing the whole house and don't forget the garage doors it sucks to have power but can't get out of the house to go fetch beer. Most of the time it is only a few hundred dollars difference
Feel free to PM me for any questions.

bigmoose

Established Member
I do this for a living. And am a certified dealer for Kohler , Cummins/Onan, Generac, Briggs and Stratton and Winco
The pecking order goes
Onan
Kohler
Generac
Briggs and Stratton
I have installed just shy of 100 kohler units in 2017
They all have NFPA 18inch setback
So they can all be 18 inches from the house. No need to dig a trench anymore
I have a Kohler 20resd and it has been worry free for 2 years.
Kohler also provides oncue monitoring for free. Email notifications of any problems and when it is running.
Onan is the quietest and they also have power command portal monitoring at no charge but that comes with a premium price for the quiet and the Cummins name.
I make a ton of money on generac warranty so that speaks for it self and they along with Briggs and Stratton charge monthly for monitoring.
Stay away from the models labeled RESL, RESVL
They are watered down big box store versions.
In the early years the L stood for Lowe's
3600 RPM is going to be air cooled
1800 RPM is going to be water-cooled which is quiter but more money.
One of the biggest mistakes my customers make is they only want certain circuits to be powered and once it is done they regret not doing the whole house and don't forget the garage doors it sucks to have power but can't get out of the house to go fetch beer. Most of the time it is only a few hundred dollars difference
Feel free to PM me for any questions.

Great info! Thanks.

I'm looking at Cummings/onan and their 12k unit looks to be priced on par with the generac and cheaper Kohler units.

I do see a 12RES from Kohler that's several hundred more than the 12RESV/L but don't see the difference in specs.

It also looks like all the units in the 10-12k range are 3600RPM air cooled units. I think the larger units that are liquid cooled are overkill for my needs.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Id rather it be a Ford, but it is what it is. Its the only GM product we own (and will be the only).

Ford powered generator you say? How about one with a 6.8L V10?

s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

newbie1276

Established Member
Nice vintage 2007Cummins with the fuel guzzling V10
Generac uses them engines in alot ofc their units.
I have never seen something empty a propane test tank so fast.
However they are beasts and run great.
And you need to be a rocket scientist to operate all the options those power command controllers can do

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Nice vintage 2007Cummins with the fuel guzzling V10
Generac uses them engines in alot ofc their units.
I have never seen something empty a propane test tank so fast.
However they are beasts and run great.
And you need to be a rocket scientist to operate all the options those power command controllers can do

Just be glad it wasn't this version:

hydrogen_engine.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread