Home HVAC Help

GT500Noob

Established Member
Its only recently gotten cold enough here in GA to need heat. When i turn on my heat, only some of my vents are blowing warm/hot air. The few others are blowing out cool, ambient temp. air. I've checked to make sure the pilot is lit, and it is. I'm stumped on what it could be.

I figure I'd ask on here before i called someone out. I'm always weary about someone feeding me a spoon of BS and sticking a huge bill on me.

Any help would be much appreciated

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Sounds like you have some holes or branches disconnected in your distribution system.
Check out your system and if need be get the correct tape for the material.

The next thing that pops in my head is your fan is blowing enough air. Do you have a separate heat system from your AC?

Last edited:

GT500Noob

Established Member
Sounds like you have some holes or branches disconnected in your distribution system.
Check out your system and if need be get the correct tape for the material.

The next thing that pops in my head is your fan is blowing enough air. Do you have a separate heat system from your AC?

I'll check all the lines in the attic and make sure there rent are issues with those.

not sure if its a seperate or single system.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Do you own the home?

Duh! I'm sure it's separate, just remembered the pilot light comment in the OP.
The ductwork is the easiest thing for a layman to check out.
The fan would likely require a volt tester.

oldmodman

Established Member
Georgia huh?

I bet possums or raccoons got into the ductwork and chewed it up.

If you get heat out of some of the vents and not others it is either damaged or disconnected ducting or a diverter valve isn't operating properly.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Not sure what kind of heating system you have but if you have zone valves you should check them too.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Are the vents blowing warm air all closer to the heat source, or are they mixed?

GT500Noob

Established Member
i only have 1 zone for the entire house. i noticed that they did start blowing warm, but only after the system had been running for a while. i guess I'll have to try and make my way to each vent via the attic. blown insulation covering all the rafters should make it interesting.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
I'm a licensed Master here in Maryland. We need more info on what kind of operating system you have, furnace, boiler with hot water coils in the duct? Have you checked all the ducts, supply and return. You might have a hole in the return sucking in cold attic air. Thoroughly inspect your ducting system, make sure there are no holes and get back as soon as you have done this.

GT500Noob

Established Member
I'm a licensed Master here in Maryland. We need more info on what kind of operating system you have, furnace, boiler with hot water coils in the duct? Have you checked all the ducts, supply and return. You might have a hole in the return sucking in cold attic air. Thoroughly inspect your ducting system, make sure there are no holes and get back as soon as you have done this.

I went up in the attic, and I check as much of the duct work as I could before it goes between the walls. Everything seems to in order. My furnace runs off Natural gas.

I shut down the system waited for all the fans to turn off. Set the thermostat to 80 and switched it to heat. I watched the furance kick on, 3 blue jets of flames. Checked the vents, and voila they are blow hot air.

Here's the weird part, as I'm sitting in my computer room (directly under the furnace in the attic). It sounds like the system has a hiccup every so often. Those are the best words I could use to describe it.

Would the temp. setting on the thermostat effect at what temp the air comes out the vents?

I appreciate all the help so far guys.

YJSONLY

Established Member
I went up in the attic, and I check as much of the duct work as I could before it goes between the walls. Everything seems to in order. My furnace runs off Natural gas.

I shut down the system waited for all the fans to turn off. Set the thermostat to 80 and switched it to heat. I watched the furance kick on, 3 blue jets of flames. Checked the vents, and voila they are blow hot air.

Here's the weird part, as I'm sitting in my computer room (directly under the furnace in the attic). It sounds like the system has a hiccup every so often. Those are the best words I could use to describe it.

Would the temp. setting on the thermostat effect at what temp the air comes out the vents? NO

I appreciate all the help so far guys.
Describe hiccup....

Users who are viewing this thread