Home Security Thread

Marc

Established Member
So, I am downsizing my bills due to my pending retirement from the military next year (hence my Direct TV vs. Dish thread a couple days ago).

Now it was on to my Home Security System. I am currently with ADT and paying the bare minimum (bare minimum service as well). I had a guy from VIVINT stop by and gave me a helluva sales pitch. $2000 worth of equipment installed for $99.00 and $56 a month for their mid-line equipment install. What I didn't like was the 42 month contract. So, I told him stop by tomorrow (which is today) after I do some research on the web. He was pretty adament about getting me to sign the contract right away but I didn't and sent him on his way.

Did some rearch and they are not BBB accredited and have thousands of complaints filed against them with "one pending Gov't action"--whatever that means.

Called ADT and asked what they charged for the same stuff as VIVINT but they were just as expensive with a $300 install fee. Asked them what can you do to help me out? They sent me to the "Loyalty Department" who lowered my bill from $40 to $25 effective immediately. :banana:

So, what home security systems are you using and are you happy? Has anyone heard of VIVINT?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
I'm with ADT i paid $99 down and got a $100 gift card back in the mail lol. $51 a month and it's saved my house from burning down a few months ago, that smoke alarm woke us up house filled with smoke. ADT has been good to us, only need it to work once to know its a great investment.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
They are installing 2gig units, which are for retro fit situations where house is not wired. Its all about how fast they can install them and move on to next account. They want the yearly monitoring that's why so expensive per month and almost a 4 year contract. They are looking to build up the account base and then sell out to a larger company. Not to mention probably charge out the butt for service calls.

Glad to see you got yours lowered through ADT but doesn't leave a bad taste that your were paying 40 a month and now charging you 25? Why not give you that from the start.

I can save you 5 more a month if you switch to my company. :poke: A little more if pay for year up front.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I went with a local security company. Superb service before, during and after the sale. I just didn't want to deal with a big company like ADT. I pay $40.00 a month for monitoring. Which I guess is pretty much standard. Nice that Drew got his reduced to $25.00. I may have to talk to my rep. :)

tistan

Established Member
I have a friend that sells home security and monitoring. People pay him $30 a month, he pays the call monitoring $4 of that $30, and he pockets the rest. The only home security I would do is buy an alarm system that makes loud noise when someone sets it off. I am not really sure why everyone thinks they need to pay extra money for monitoring. It's not like the monitor is going to come save your life. They are going to call the police, and when the police get around to it, they will come make a report. Meanwhile the thieves will have already pawned all of your shit and your still paying $30 a month for a service to call the police for you.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
In addition to my ADT system, dogs, and multiple firearms I have a driveway sensor. It's not the motion type, its a small hose you run across your driveway that when driven over signals an alarm inside the hose. Main reason I bought it was we could never hear if anyone pulled in the driveway. Mail man, ups, friends, etc. It works great, made by Dakota Alert. My neighborhood has never had any crime though. Only about 10 homes and there is no through streets. Most people don't even lock their doors. Only reason I have ADT is the wife.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
How much is the security of you and your family worth?? 300 bucks to install seems fair to me and well worth it imo.. BUT I'm not one to talk as I have a USP .45 in my nightstand..

I will say that when I was younger I mean like k-5th grade I always had nightmares about people breaking in etc.. I lived my with my and sister with no guy in the house as my parents were divorced.. My mom got a ADT setup with stuff on the windows and motion sensors just for me. I don't know what she paid or how much it was per month, but coming from a kid in that grade group it helped me sleep better..

If for whatever reason my son didn't feel safe in the house anymore regardless of me living there or not, I'd spend what I had to help him sleep better at night :beer: That's my .02

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
They are going to call the police, and when the police get around to it, they will come make a report. Meanwhile the thieves will have already pawned all of your shit and your still paying $30 a month for a service to call the police for you.

Yep. Where I live, the "neighbors" would have no idea if my house was getting broken into. The police are who-knows-how-far away. The only person that's going to take care of people breaking in is me or my wife. No need to pay some service a monthly fee when they only thing they can do is call the cops which is useless. :shrug:

Our main door is a sliding glass door so I don't even bother locking it. If someone wants in, they're going to get in, and I'd prefer they just use the door rather than bust the glass out of it.

Marc

Established Member
They are installing 2gig units, which are for retro fit situations where house is not wired. Its all about how fast they can install them and move on to next account. They want the yearly monitoring that's why so expensive per month and almost a 4 year contract. They are looking to build up the account base and then sell out to a larger company. Not to mention probably charge out the butt for service calls.

Glad to see you got yours lowered through ADT but doesn't leave a bad taste that your were paying 40 a month and now charging you 25? Why not give you that from the start.

I can save you 5 more a month if you switch to my company. :poke: A little more if pay for year up front.

I found out a lot of companies you "initially" sign up with are more expensive...internet, cable, cell phone service, home security, etc...). When your contract is up, their "Loyalty" department will typically work with you to lower your bill a little bit to keep you onboard from switching to another company.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
For those with home security systems, check with your homeowners insurance. I'm not 100%, but I believe if you have a home security system, it may be possible to lower the insurance on your home.

Users who are viewing this thread