Home theater receivers

oilwell1415

Established Member
I need to replace my Denon receiver and was wanting some thought on what to replace it with. I've been very happy with it, and have been looking at other Denon units (specifically the AVR1912) to replace it. My only real complaints have been that the remote is not user friendly and operation was not initially intuitive.

Here are the requirements that it MUST have:
1. Multi zone capability
2. Multiple HDMI inputs
3. HDMI output
4. Configurable for multiple subs
5. iPod ready

Any suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $1000 just because the rest of my system won't do a really high priced unit justice.

ff500

Established Member
I've got a Denon reciever for our basement family room and a Pioneer Elite reciever for our other family room, the Elite has everything and more of what you are looking for. I paid just under a $1000 for the Elite on sale at Best Buy.

Coiled03

Established Member
You should be able to get a Denon that meets your criteria if you want to stick with the same brand. I'd also look into H/K, and Marantz if it were me. I don't have any specific models to recommend (too lazy to look them up right now), but I know all three of these brands have receivers that meet your criteria and price point because I was just looking in to something similar not long agol.

oilwell1415

Established Member
I looked at Elite, but their reviews aren't very good and the least expensive unit they have at Best Buy (my only local purchasing option) is $1600.

I know there are many companies that sell a product that will suit my needs. What I'm looking for is input about which ones work the best and are the most user friendly. The Denon was my first experience with surround, so I want to know what kind of experience I can expect from other brands.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
We got this Onkyo HT S5300 from Amazon at the beginning of the year when we upgraded to an HDTV at the beginning of the year and it appears to have everything you're talking about except for the multiple subs ( I'm not sure about that b/c we don't use it that way ).

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5300-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQRG/ref=sr_1_9?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1305307115&sr=1-9]Amazon.com: Onkyo HT-S5300 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver and Speaker Package with iPod Dock (Black): Home Audio & Theater[/ame]

Not sure if your looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 system but this one has 5.1 w/ dual zone or 7.1 in one zone. We have a Dish Network HD-DVR, PS3, PS2 and Wii hooked up and the sound is fantastic. One of the things I really like about this system is that it has HDMI pass through so you aren't forced to turn on the whole system if you just want to watch tv.

Coiled03

Established Member
I looked at Elite, but their reviews aren't very good and the least expensive unit they have at Best Buy (my only local purchasing option) is $1600.

I know there are many companies that sell a product that will suit my needs. What I'm looking for is input about which ones work the best and are the most user friendly. The Denon was my first experience with surround, so I want to know what kind of experience I can expect from other brands.

Gotcha. Best brand for you price range, IMHO, is Marantz, hands down. Quality components, and user friendly.

oldmodman

Established Member
Don't forget to take a look at Yamaha's web site.

They make a great product.

Are you looking for THX, 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 or?

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Don't forget to take a look at Yamaha's web site.

They make a great product.

+1

I'm currently using the Yamaha RX-V3800 A/V receiver in a 7.1 configuration.
Fantastic sound, reliable as hell and plenty of power. :rockon:
h022RXV3800-fp.jpg

oilwell1415

Established Member
The house is currently setup for 5.1. My current receiver has an option for 7.1, but the extra channels are configured to run the subs built into the left and right speakers.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
The house is currently setup for 5.1. My current receiver has an option for 7.1, but the extra channels are configured to run the subs built into the left and right speakers.

huh?

your mains should have internal amps to run the subs in each of them. they should be plugged into an electrical outlet.

if you are using the extra channels for them then what you are doing is bi-amping the towers....really isnt necessary for a surround sound. it is nice for some stereo music listening though. you can just use the "pure direct" mode on most receiver to accomplish nearly the same thing

Last edited:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I have a mid level onkyo which I love but its still nothing compared to my parents yamaha.. I have shopped alot and I have found nothing nicer than yamaha for the money... check out vanns.com they have incredible sales and free shipping.. their prices smoke best buy

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

65fastback2+2

Established Member
check out vanns.com they have incredible sales and free shipping.. their prices smoke best buy

lol wat?

Denon AVR-1912 7.1 channel networking home theater receiver (AVR 1912) at Vanns.com

vs.

Denon - 875W 7.1-Ch. 3D Pass Through A/V Home Theater Receiver - AVR1912

hmmm lol

online will only "smoke best buy" if its typically a mediocre manufacturer that doesnt care about their image but only their units sold.

if someone online has it SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. check the manufacturers website. they are probably not an approved reseller and therefore you have ZERO warranty on the product.

Mike H

I Took My Own Avatar Pic
Established Member
Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I recently needed to upgrade my old Denon AVR too. After some research and shopping around I settled on a Pioneer VSX1020K. Very happy with it for the price.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
I recently needed to upgrade my old Denon AVR too. After some research and shopping around I settled on a Pioneer VSX1020K. Very happy with it for the price.

pioneer elite's used to be awesome receivers. theyve cheaped out on their audio processors in the last couple of years to "save money"...so Id call em just "meh" now.

denon and marantz are the way to go.

i know someone mentioned yamaha before....their aventage line is pretty decent though when tested they are showing massive wattage drops. rated at like 110w and dropping to 80w when tested. eek.

oilwell1415

Established Member
huh?

your mains should have internal amps to run the subs in each of them. they should be plugged into an electrical outlet.

if you are using the extra channels for them then what you are doing is bi-amping the towers....really isnt necessary for a surround sound. it is nice for some stereo music listening though. you can just use the "pure direct" mode on most receiver to accomplish nearly the same thing

They are plugged into the wall. The receiver can be set up for the extra channels to do several things including surround, a third zone, or subs. When set up for subs it doesn't amp the outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread