Hood Mod Update

KingKobra

Established Member
So, it's been like a month or so since some peeps have cut the hood blankets and opened the flaps...

How about an update for us scare-dee-cats :chicken: as to any noticeable problems/successes, such as excessive heat causing paint discoloration near the 'scoops' or tape not sticking, or that it's all good and highly recommended.

Thanks! :beer:

anteros511

Established Member
It's been a few weeks for me and no problems so far! I just haven't found the right stuff to adhere to the cut edges. But otherwise it's been through major heat last week, heavy rain, and excessive hosing (by me) and all is good. I have the flaps unclipped so they are just hanging down open into the engine compartment. What I plan on doing is keeping them open in the summer and clipped-up (closed) during the winter. I like the idea of the ability of opening-closing on demand.

Last edited:

KingKobra

Established Member
Richie,

The clamping down in the winter, up in the summer is a great idea!!! I wonder if SVT (secretly) planned that knowing that it could be functional. I mean, why else would they put hinges on something that's partially blocked? Why not put fixed plastic, if they wanted to keep them half shut? :idea:

Those flaps cannot move due to the hood blanket so if they didn't think that we'd cut and free those up, what else were they thinking? :idea:

I personally think that the hood blanket exists (partially) to soak up water, to act as a sort of sponge, further cooling the hood, as evaporation does decrease the temperature of a surface. :idea:

Mowgli

Established Member
Problem is, the top of the blanket is reflective foil/metal. You can't see this until you take the blanket off. So water anything on it is bad.

I doubt they planned for it to act as a sponge. More likely the blanket came from a sub-vendor (not the hood maker) and they didn't bother with changing it.

anteros511

Established Member
Originally posted by KingKobra
Richie,

The clamping down in the winter, up in the summer is a great idea!!! I wonder if SVT (secretly) planned that knowing that it could be functional. I mean, why else would they put hinges on something that's partially blocked? Why not put fixed plastic, if they wanted to keep them half shut? :idea:

Yeah actually I'm real happy with my idea, it's sorta in between what everyone else is doing.

04Mystic

Supercharged what?
Established Member
Does anyone know of any fiber glass hoods via cowl hoods etc. for the 03 Cobra ? Thanks:shrug: :read:

Cobra'03

Established Member
I have had no problems whatsoever.

Let me remind you all what I did:

1) I did the Postban but just siliconed the flap back against the hood
2) After I cut the blanket, I applied 3M "77" spray adhesive to all the edges - this keeps them from fraying.
3) Resprayed the blanket with satin black
4) Took 2" and 1" Air conditioning foam insulation and framed it around the blanket cut out pattern - sprayed it black - glued it on with the same 3M spray adhesive - I extended it a bit past the blanket so any water drips off the foam, not the blanket.
5) I do nto drive in torrents of rain or winter storms, but when I wash the car, I have to large yellow (Sponge Bob my wife calls them) sponges that I place on the vent openings - they do a good job of deflecting, absorbing the water from the hose.

What is the issue around water on the foil? I do not see any problem with that at all. :shrug:

KingKobra

Established Member
Mowgli,

ahhhh, yea, I do remember seeing some shiny stuff through the vents on the top...

When I rinse off the car... water runs right down into and over the flaps and around them and onto the hood blanket, and other parts, so why have flaps?

Honestly, I feel a bit duped cuz they said "funcitonal hood scoops" and although they do transmit heat, they don't 'seem' as effective as without the flaps.

If SVT didn't want us to open it up, why make flaps with hinges? I'm still curious... but somehow don't think they will have an answer if I call them. :)

Maybe I will call and ask anyway.

Cobra'03

Established Member
You have to take a big picture view. Ford sells these cars all over the United States and Canada. They have to consider all the driving conditions - freezing rain, snowstorms, windstorms, desert sandstorms, comet attacks, asteroid belts, etc.
Water pouring down on belts, sudden cold snap, ice forms on belts, car won't start or belts shatter, cold water blows back on hot engine parts and causes fracture, etc. They had to balance the efficacy of the vents versus the lawyers and bean counters. We are lucky we have them at all.

Since my car is for nice days only, it is not an issue.

KingKobra

Established Member
Cobra03,

Well said! So you feel that Richmond/Northern VA is most likely an area that doens't need to worry too much about these low temps?

I'm very tempted to at least pull the flaps and put them in when the weather is cold or wet, but have them out otherwise, if it's going to result in better flow of hot air from the engine compartment.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
So, it's been like a month or so since some peeps have cut the hood blankets and opened the flaps...

How about an update for us scare-dee-cats :chicken: as to any noticeable problems/successes, such as excessive heat causing paint discoloration near the 'scoops' or tape not sticking, or that it's all good and highly recommended.

Thanks! :beer:

No problems with it so far. I have been in a couple t-storms diving home and got the blanket good and soaked (hard not to), seen some water drops ride the plume of engine bay air straight up and then whoosh back into the windshield. I see mirage at some stoplights coming up through them.

No paint discoloration at all. No bubbles at all.

Just increased air flow (sometimes raindrop flow) and tha is about it.

Do the string test with the unmodded blanket and flaps in place, you will see nothing moves from underhood air.

Cut the blanket and open the flaps, different story.

fd9a5dac.jpg

Gotta go, my Sam Adams Summer Ale is getting shallow, time to re-up:beer: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Cobra03,

Well said! So you feel that Richmond/Northern VA is most likely an area that doens't need to worry too much about these low temps?

I'm very tempted to at least pull the flaps and put them in when the weather is cold or wet, but have them out otherwise, if it's going to result in better flow of hot air from the engine compartment.

Well, I did not quite say that, but last winter we got zero snow or ice storms here in central Virginia. I do not know if the flaps can come and go that easily, but you certainly could use a length of velcro on each and fold the flaps back - I just siliconed mine. I do not any problems in this climate but again, the only water my car sees is bath time.

[sky]03cobra

Established Member
no probems here. Since I have an open air box, i need all that trapped heat out of the engine compartment.Works great!
Sky

Users who are viewing this thread