Hood Mod

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
For those of you that have done the hood mod, what kind of tape have you used to seal the edges off? Where did you get it? Is it high temp rated?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
For those of you that have done the hood mod, what kind of tape have you used to seal the edges off? Where did you get it? Is it high temp rated?

I think the better material would be to use the fiberglass resin and soak the border with it. My tape started coming off in the corners on day two (still on though). Just find the original post and read about the guy with the resin idea.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
sounds like a plan. I currently have my hoodliner off. I am somewhat of a fiberglass pro. I worked for a company called "Fiber-Tech" and we use to do a lot of boat repairs using fiberglass and other bonding materials. It's been a few years, but mixing the resin and the hardening agent isn't too tough :)

Cat Breath

Established Member
I cut mine carefully with the hoodliner on. It's extra work with no gain to remove it IMO. I used fiber glass resin around the newly cut hole to help keep it from degrading on its own. Was very messy and the dang liner filling puffed up to a good 1/2 inch in some spots that I cut. Used paper clips all around the hole to get it compressed for the resin. Also did not leave the lower flaps of the vents on but just cut them off.

Cobra'03

Established Member
When I added the A/C foam to the edges of the blanket to seal against the hood, I used 3M "77" spray adhesive to hold the foam, and it also meshed the blanket fabric threads enough so no separation is occuring.

I will tell you one other thing - if the S/C protector rubs against the hood blanket, some nasty stuff gets on it - no solvent would easily remove it, and I had to scrape it off with a small stick of wood. I added some A/C aluminum tape to the hood blanket at the point where it rubs.

donaisenbrey

Established Member
STOP, STOP, STOP, Trying to fix a Ford problem. I plan to get a replacement blanket each time it gets damaged by water. That way they will come out with a TSB or recall....................Don

Cobra'03

Established Member
Well, I see your point, but good luck - Ford may replace it once or twice, but is is arguably a cosmetic issue, not a mechanical issue. My Subaru Outback has a functional hood scoop (for a Turbo in Japan - here, it ducts air across the brake reservoir and booster). And it has all sorts of water stains.

And there is no assurance that if 10,000 of us requested the replacements, it would do one bit of good. Hell, Ford would just as likely close off the scoops altogether, save perhaps for a tiny drain hole. The blankets cost about $60, so figure production cost is about $12. So even if every one of us asked for a new one, that would come to what - $120,000? Redesigning the hood would cost substantially more.

I think the beauty of this Forum is that if we see a problem, we cobble up a fix - if we see an opportunity for an improvement, we do it and share it. Hell, I would guess that between Postban and I and others on this one alone we probably have 100 hours of sweat equity. I say kudos to all and more the better.

silvercoffin

Established Member
two concerns about mod

SVT says the liner is there to prevent water from going into engine bay.

My main concern is all the heat that will now be going over the hood. Paint damage over time????

TcM-668

For what it's worth ... the 00 Rs don't have a hood liner, the vents are non-functional (requires cutting the hood) and some of us are having problems with the paint bubbling on the hood.

the suspected culprit is either bad prep at the factory, or high under hood tempratures.

Wish we had a better fix than to break out the jig-saw and start hacking...

good luck.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I used some uv cure fiberglass resin to seal the edges of my hood blanket. Smooth it over the edge and put it in the sun, Five minutes later, fully cured, apply black spray paint good to go

Users who are viewing this thread