Hood painting...thoughts?

mmarraccini325

Established Member
Ok before I ask I know all the remarks about owning a mystic and how much of a PITA it is to get touch ups and what not but hear me out. I bought and own a 96 Mystic, just always loved the color combo. So I have been starting to build it and one thing I am now realizing is the innability to get a cowl hood. I figure it would be insane expensive and probably wouldn't match the rest of the paint scheme, but I think it would look great. Anyone know or care to venture a guess as to what it would cost to have it painted? Not the price of the hood, just the paint and someone really good at painting cars. Just wanted to know if I ever decide to go that route. Thanks guys.

redrocket16

Established Member
^^not for mystic paint.. Depends on if you want just the outside painted or if you wanted the underside as well. Probably around 1k for the outside only and 1800-2k for both would be my best guess after getting some mystic paint quotes.

Zemedici

Established Member
$300-$400 from a legit shop..$100 from neighbor

he's wanting mystic paint there bud.

Not sure if Ford still does the entire "shipping an agent" to paint it nonsense, I know paint shops cannot buy Mystic paint, they have to make it.

I bet it would be quite an endeavor, $2000 and upwards.

mmarraccini325

Established Member
Thank you everyone. Well that about sums up my thoughts on painting the hood. I think I would rather turbo or charge, and put that $2K + to good use. Thanks for the time guys.

Chirp5957

Established Member
The pearl for mystic paint is like 1200/pint..so if you can find someone with it it will be cheaper, but if a shop had to order it prepare to be bent over

gq916

Established Member
^^not for mystic paint.. Depends on if you want just the outside painted or if you wanted the underside as well. Probably around 1k for the outside only and 1800-2k for both would be my best guess after getting some mystic paint quotes.

why the hell would you want the underside painted? hhahaha 1k for outside and 2k for both sides hahaha man are u kidding me? its mystic paint not jesus juice..

definitely not worth paying 1k for just the hood if it really is that much..unless your hella rich

teksidCOBRA

Established Member
the fenders will also have to be scuffed, blended, and re-cleared...so you'll be looking at more labor, and material...

redrocket16

Established Member
why the hell would you want the underside painted? hhahaha 1k for outside and 2k for both sides hahaha man are u kidding me? its mystic paint not jesus juice..

definitely not worth paying 1k for just the hood if it really is that much..unless your hella rich

You haven't priced mystic paint then. The car basically needs to be painted black first which is the specific base/primer for the mystic to be put on top of it. The paint is 400-500 a pint btw when you can find it.

As far as painting under the hood why would you not if youre getting a cowl hood? Smooth the bottom side of it if needed and paint it the same color vs the ratty blanket. It's like not painting door jams and the trunk, just looks like you couldn't afford the work needed and went cheap. I learned my first go around if its worth doing once, its worth doing right and usually more expensive with that route.

Users who are viewing this thread