Hood Shakes Very Bad Above 80mph! WTH?

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
Ok, I've had my car up above 100mph quite a few times. Well Saturday night I was coming home and wanted to stretch the GT's legs a little.

I downshift to 4th and open her up. All of a sudden, the back of the hood (closest to me) starts shaking and tapping like CRAZY! I thought the hood latch came loose? Nope. Maybe the bolts? Nope! The tires are balanced. The alignment is good. The rubber adjusters up front have been adjusted every which way.

So uh, any info? I'm loosing it here!!

Thanks!

TylerM35

Established Member
Ok, I've had my car up above 100mph quite a few times. Well Saturday night I was coming home and wanted to stretch the GT's legs a little.

I downshift to 4th and open her up. All of a sudden, the back of the hood (closest to me) starts shaking and tapping like CRAZY! I thought the hood latch came loose? Nope. Maybe the bolts? Nope! The tires are balanced. The alignment is good. The rubber adjusters up front have been adjusted every which way.

So uh, any info? I'm loosing it here!!

Thanks!

My cobra has done that a couple times, doesn't do it anymore not sure what was up. But when I went down to Kentucky where the speed limit was 70 I was cruising 80-85 and my hood would get shaky going down hills and what not. It really sketched me out

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
weird my 13 used to do that! when i removed the hoodliner and started letting the hood close by letting it drop down vs pushing it closed, it stopped.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
shit i passed a semi doing 80 (he was heading the opposite way) on a 2 lane road and i though my hood was going to ****ing explode lol. mine seems to kinda float when im doing 70 and up. real light hood and its easy for air to get up under it. make sure the bolts are secure.

when you hit 80 the hood starts to shutter and at 88mph....well you know the rest.

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Check the stops not really sure what else to call them, at the nose of the car. My centers were lower than the outers and when I raised them both a full turn and left the outers alone my hood stopped having a slight shake. There are four total I only adjusted the center two and made sure that the outers kept my body lines close.

Tony_GT_14

Established Member
I decided to take it to 120mph and see what happens.........THE WHOLE FRONT END SHUDDERS BAD!

I'm starting to think this has something to do with the Steeda Springs.

I'm getting so pissed. I spent the cash! On the car, on good parts, on good professional installs. Now, my $36K car rides like a piece of shit. I would have been better off building a beat up Foxbody!!!

DAMMIT!!!:fm:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Sounds like some of the work that was done is causing a vibration problem and the hood shaking is just a symptom of it. Have that 'good professional install' rechecked.

Ratchet

Established Member
Sounds like some of the work that was done is causing a vibration problem and the hood shaking is just a symptom of it. Have that 'good professional install' rechecked.

This. Something isn't right there. I have had many "good professional installs" be the cause of many bad things...lol:beer:

Torchy

Established Member
OP don't feel too bad. My hood did this on the highway yesterday. Didn't do it constantly but did it when it was windy. Happened a few times while going 75-80. I have stock suspension and have never removed my hood.

Users who are viewing this thread