Hood Vent Modification?

xxkazp3rxx

Established Member
my vents are open.. I live in Florida where it rains constantly.. and I have had no issues except water marks on my Steeda CAI sheild.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I've had the blanket off for 3 yrs. No paint issue from the heat. Painted the underside last spring and it really cleaned up nicely. Hood vents flaps are cut and no problems with water getting to the k&n air filter.
DCP_2693.jpg

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
After doing a pretty good job on my original Hood Blanket on my 2003 10th Anniversary, I decided to try do an even cleaner job on my 2004 Mystichrome by 3M ScotchGarding the Hood Blanket first to try to add some Water Proofing/Stain Resistance and then Paint it for even more protection.

Only time will tell how effective this is going to be at keeping the Hood Blanket in good condition.

Here are the pics for anyone who wants to do a clean Hood Blanket Mod.

Mark the back side of the Hood Blanket following the creases and rounding the corners as much as possible.

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

Using a Fine Hacksaw Blade cut in the lines you marked from the back side of the Hood Blanket.

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

These are what the cut pieces should look like.

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG

These are what the holes should look like.

IMG_1989.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

Using a regular Stapler, go around the edges of the openings to help keep them from deteriorating over time.

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

Get a large can of 3M ScotchGard from AutoZone or similar store.

IMG_1994.JPG

Hang the Hood Blanket on something and spray it with 2-3 light coats of 3M ScotchGard. Allow some time in between coats for the 3M ScotchGard to dry.

IMG_1995.JPG

Get a large can of Black Vinyl/Fabric Paint from AutoZone or similar store.

IMG_1996.JPG

Hang the Hood Blanket on something and spray it with 2-3 light coats of Black Vinyl/Fabric Paint. Allow some time in between coats for the Black Vinyl/Fabric Paint to dry.

IMG_1997.JPG

Get some pieces of Rubber Edging and carefully install it on the edges of the cut holes. Crimp the Rubber Edging with some pliers all around the opening.

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

This is the finished product.

IMG_2000.JPG

IMG_2001.JPG

Last edited:
BLK03SVT10th, are you driving your car in the rain or letting it sit outside in the rain? I was wondering if you gave your hood blanket this treatment because you're driving the car in the rain with the new cutouts in the vent area of the blanket.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
BLK03SVT10th, are you driving your car in the rain or letting it sit outside in the rain? I was wondering if you gave your hood blanket this treatment because you're driving the car in the rain with the new cutouts in the vent area of the blanket.

I drive my car anywhere, anytime. Also water goes in the vents when you wash it.

BLK03SVT10TH said:
I drive my car anywhere, anytime. Also water goes in the vents when you wash it.

You've convinced me not to fear this mod. You're writeup on the hood blanket is outstanding. I'm going to get the BilletFlow vents and I'm going to follow your instructions.

antiv6

Established Member
just did this mod, uderside of hood was painted no clear though, there were lots of rubbed of peint marks from the blanket moving around so i left it on and cut it, i also took off the flaps, great mod need to get the rubber molding stuff still to go around the edges

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Took mine off and it was unpainted..so I had it painted. Really glad I did it since I know the heat escapes better now.-Shane
IMG_1017.gif

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
i pulled my blanket and dremeled out the plastic covers to the hood vents.. it's perfect and guess what!? my 2002 prod. run car was painted under the blanket!! yea for me. :thumbsup:

MorpheusGPR

Established Member
I took my hood blanket off as well. Mine is not painted underneath but I may get a carbon fiber hood anyways.

I also cut the gray plastic away from the hood vents so its a straight shot out for the heat to exit now.

vtsteevo

Established Member
fstsnk1 said:
this is gonna sound kinda funny but my hood looks semi-painted underneath, like somebody changed their mind LMFAO...blanket stayed

Mine is the same way :fm: but I am still taking it off...

Obi1Cobi

Established Member
Ive had my blanket off since sept 02. no problems w paint, no prob with the sc pulley, no problems with the k&n.

Fastphil

Bagged.
Established Member
I'm gonna be taking a look under my hood blanket when I get home to see if it's painted under there or not. You've convinced me that if the paint is good, the blanket needs to be removed. While I'm here, what color hood vents would look best on a Redfire car?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I did my hood mod nearly three years ago and feel it's an effective way to assist in extracting hot air from the engine compartment.

1) Remove blanket
2) Remove plastic vent covers
3) Put blanket back on, but only secure with 2 to 3 hold down pins
4) Lower the hood and through the top of the hood, take a pen and mark the desired outline of the opening through the vent opening.
5) Remove blanket again and using a razor, cut out the opening to the desired size. Try to round the corners as much as possible.
6) Hang the blanket by the ground strap and paint the entire face of the blanket with a high quality flat black paint or the color of your choice
7) Using Flextrim from a boat supply store, begin installing on the new hood blanket opening. When you get to the last run, carefully figure how long to leave the tail of the Flextrim and cut so that it fits snuggly to the opposite end.
8) Repeat for other hood vent opening.
9) Reinstall blanket onto underside of hood.

Great pics, great write-up...I did it this weekend...thanks

Users who are viewing this thread