Hoping to track the car next Friday

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
So I just found out that I have a chance to go to Roebling Road Raceway next Friday. I'm having surgery Thursday morning so the odds are against me but I'd like to be prepared if the planets line up in my favor. I really want to do this.
I have a 2014 with track pack and performance pack, lowering springs, and some rear end suspension changes Van helped me with. Power, brakes, and tires are stock. I see I probably should do a brake fluid flush and I think I can get that done. Any other advice? If I can't get anything done in the couple days I have, should I skip it and be ready for the next one?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
If you are PHYSICALLY sharp and feel good, go for it. If this is your first track event you aren't going to be running the car that hard and it will be a fun experience getting used to the environment.

Tom

eagle eye

Established Member
HPDE's are a blast and are very challenging.
The only changes I did to my car was a brake fluid flush with Brembo LCF600 plus. I spoke to Van and thats what he recommended. The guy knows his stuff so I felt comfortable with that. I never ran the car at the track with the stock fluid so I can't do a comparison between the two.

The 5.8 S/C engine generates a lot of heat and if the ambient temps hover around 90 or above, you will be glad you have the track pak. The engine oil temps will run to hot for sustained laps.

One other thing you may want to consider is track insurance. You never know what will happen. I had a guy break a crankshaft in front of me laying down some oil. I was able to avoid the slick but the guy behind did not. He had his hands full.

One other thing, if they have fuel at the track, great. You'll need it.

Enjoy

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
One other thing, if they have fuel at the track, great. You'll need it.

Enjoy

But if it's anything like the fuel available at some tracks around here it will only be super expensive race gas. Just wanted to add to the mental preparation. lol

SINISTRR

Established Member
As mentioned earlier, make sure you are physically ready. Track days are a blast but your body does take a beating with the G's you may experience. Be sure to drink lots of water as well, especially if the weather is warm.

Bring a torque wrench as well for your lug nuts. I watched a guy lose his front wheel going around a corner because he didn't check his nuts.

I've done 4 track days with the stock brake fluid and I didn't experience any fade or braking issues. That being said, I will be changing the fluid to a higher quality for the next track day.

Oh, and be prepared to watch your tires get pooched!! I ran the Eagle F1's on the track and they are AWESOME on the track when warm. That being said, they wear out quickly.

If you don't already have a GoPro, go out and get one!! You want to have evidence to show your buddies that you tracked that beast!!

Have fun and let us know how it goes!!

MJN

Established Member
As mentioned earlier, make sure you are physically ready. Track days are a blast but your body does take a beating with the G's you may experience. Be sure to drink lots of water as well, especially if the weather is warm.

Bring a torque wrench as well for your lug nuts. I watched a guy lose his front wheel going around a corner because he didn't check his nuts.

I've done 4 track days with the stock brake fluid and I didn't experience any fade or braking issues. That being said, I will be changing the fluid to a higher quality for the next track day.

Oh, and be prepared to watch your tires get pooched!! I ran the Eagle F1's on the track and they are AWESOME on the track when warm. That being said, they wear out quickly.

If you don't already have a GoPro, go out and get one!! You want to have evidence to show your buddies that you tracked that beast!!

Have fun and let us know how it goes!!

I agree with all of this. Having my first track day, the first thing I was surprised about was how sore I was the next day, it was great lol.

I ran my 12 with stock tires, brake fluid and all and had no problems. I think being my first time I was no where near the limits of anything. Also like mentioned you will notice tire wear.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Thanks for the replies. If I get the chance to go I will go stock and learn what's up and just get a feel for the car and the track. I can then get better prepared and push the envelope a little harder next month without rushing and missing something.
I do have a gopro, I will look into mounting options for the car.

SINISTRR

Established Member
I do have a gopro, I will look into mounting options for the car.

All you need is the suction cup. Each time you go out, mount the GoPro somewhere different. I have the glass roof so the first session I had it hanging from the ceiling so I had the view out the front window as well as capturing me as well.

Then next session I'd mount it to the front bumper for a road view. Then I'd have it on the driver door down low to capture the front wheel and road. Then I'd have it on the rear bumper to capture the road from behind and of course capture the exhaust sound.

Play around with different positions and be sure to make sure it's on their tight. The suction cup works well.

And if it rains, make sure you have the waterproof case.

Regarding the rain, the F1's work very well in the rain on the track. Keep the nannies on sport mode as the car can and will get away from you in the rain.

Between sessions, pop the hood to help with cool down. :fm:

Van@RevanRacing

So I just found out that I have a chance to go to Roebling Road Raceway next Friday. I'm having surgery Thursday morning so the odds are against me but I'd like to be prepared if the planets line up in my favor. I really want to do this.
I have a 2014 with track pack and performance pack, lowering springs, and some rear end suspension changes Van helped me with. Power, brakes, and tires are stock. I see I probably should do a brake fluid flush and I think I can get that done. Any other advice? If I can't get anything done in the couple days I have, should I skip it and be ready for the next one?

When I instruct drivers one of the first questions I ask is "What did you do yesterday and last night?" It's good to know what kind of day and evening a person had so you know where they are mentally. If you wake up with even the slightest bit of soreness or trepidation then stay home and heal up. It's not worth putting yourself and others potentially in harms way not to mention your vehicle and those of others. Notice I didn't ask what type of procedure you're having done because it simply doesn't matter. Personally I would tell you to stay home, relax and watch some football. Prepare for the next event and possibly consider coming to Daytona the first weekend in December and take your car out on the high banks on the Rolex 24 course for three days. :beer:

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
my car wil be a daily driver but being able to push the car a little and have some fun sounds like a great time. Not necessarily to cut throat compete but just enjoy it. How can I find something like that In my area? I'm in North Carolina.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Established Member
I took my '14 with no changes from the factory, a GoPro w/ Suction Cup, Helmet, some flat sole Vans and a torque wrench to High Plains Raceway for a Track Day. Did 4 - 30 minute sessions. No brake fade, tire problems. Bought fuel at a local station for the 3 & 4th session, as my track mileage was like 5mpg. You will have a blast!

Here's a link to one lap I filmed from the hood: 2014 Shelby GT500 Mustang ONE LAP at High Plains Raceway, CO - YouTube

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
When I instruct drivers one of the first questions I ask is "What did you do yesterday and last night?" It's good to know what kind of day and evening a person had so you know where they are mentally. If you wake up with even the slightest bit of soreness or trepidation then stay home and heal up. It's not worth putting yourself and others potentially in harms way not to mention your vehicle and those of others. Notice I didn't ask what type of procedure you're having done because it simply doesn't matter. Personally I would tell you to stay home, relax and watch some football. Prepare for the next event and possibly consider coming to Daytona the first weekend in December and take your car out on the high banks on the Rolex 24 course for three days. :beer:
Good advice.. I don't know where I'll be mentally as I don't even know what time my surgery will be Thursday. If it's not first thing in the morning (24 hours prior to track time) I will stay home. Driving Daytona sound like a helluva time, any more information on that?

my car wil be a daily driver but being able to push the car a little and have some fun sounds like a great time. Not necessarily to cut throat compete but just enjoy it. How can I find something like that In my area? I'm in North Carolina.
My local car club is setting something up through hooked on driving. I don't know the full details yet, but will find out more tonight. Here is the website - High Performance Driving Schools, Lessons, Driving Experience, HPDE, Professional Driving School

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

I believe there is a very active Mustang Club of America region in your area that hosts a driving school/track event a couple of times a year at Kershaw Motorsports Park. (I think that is the name)

Tom

Cman01

hello
Established Member
There are some great points re: your state of health and mental alertness when it comes to running a lapping day. If you are not sure how you will feel after your surgery it's better to rest up and do it another day. HPDE's will always be avail.

With that being said if you feel fine on the day of no reason not to go out there and run the car, at the very least get a brake flush done with decent fluid the other stuff like better pads and tires can go on later.

You won't toast your tires during one day of lapping ALA you have the correct pressures to run out there and you don't make major and abrupt steering wheel and throttle inputs that upset the car's handling.

I did Mosport couple months ago and my tires have no bad adverse wear being out there the whole day lapping the track, write up and pics below.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-shelby-gt500-413/951667-pics-my-mosport-track-day.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...071-shelby-did-great-mosport-lapping-day.html

GL with the surgery and recovery afterwards and get out there and have fun with the car.

Tony

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Had a conversation with some of the other guys in the club last night and one of them told me he recently had the procedure I'm having. He said it didn't go well and involved some pain medication which shuts me down. I'm a page full of sad faces about that, but that gives me a little time to be prepared for next month. I need to get into a controlled environment with this car. Last night I was on the highway messing around with some other cars when my rear tires broke loose in 3rd.. wot around 95 mph or so. Had to have been something on the road as that's never happened before. Rear end kicked right and aimed me right at the car I was next to. I let off and the car damn near straightened itself out. I got my wtf are you doing moment, but these cars deserve to be driven hard I just need to find the right place to do so.
I checked out both threads of track days and that's what I'm talking about.. I want some of that!
Van, I will send and email today and I'll be calling your during the week about some brembo fluid.
I realize this isn't profound, but I love this car!:beer:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
...possibly consider coming to Daytona the first weekend in December and take your car out on the high banks on the Rolex 24 course for three days. :beer:
See you there, Van.
I'll be at Homestead next week for a day, then at Sebring for two days in early-November. After that, Daytona 6-8th.
S.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I would not advise doing a track day the day after a surgery (unless it's a VERY minor procedure).
Roebling is easy on brakes, but IMO you should do a fluid flush and go to Motul RBF600. You'll be in 3rd gear around the entire track with the exception of the front straight and 3-4 shift.
Roebling does not sell 93-octane pump gas. They only sell unleaded/leaded race gas, which you don't want in a basically stock car.
Depending on your skill level, you may wear the left front and rear tires pretty well with full sessions. It's a clockwise track.

It's a nice track and lots of fun. I was running 1:24-1:25's my first trip there in a bone stock car. I probably won't be back until I run with Flatout in May '14 (then again in Aug '14).
S.

Users who are viewing this thread