Hopkins vs. Taylor

SA SNAKE

Established Member
Who is going to watch the fight tonight? And what are your predictions? I think Taylor will win but I don't think it will be easy.

Gil

RidnRodsLightng

Established Member
i'm pissed!! Someone said on here it was on showtime....cinemax...something! I thought for sure we would see it tonight....NOOOO it's on PPV! :cuss:

wally9404

Established Member
taylor wins on a split decision. fix,fix, fix, at the worse it should have been a draw,of course there already talking rematch.hopkins really didnt do anthing in the fight until maybe the eight round,he came on strong and hurt taylor late in the fight but apparently wasnt enough to overcome taylors early lead

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
wally9404 said:
taylor wins on a split decision. fix,fix, fix, at the worse it should have been a draw,of course there already talking rematch.hopkins really didnt do anthing in the fight until maybe the eight round,he came on strong and hurt taylor late in the fight but apparently wasnt enough to overcome taylors early lead
I guess that's the end of Hopkins' rule. I can't wait 'til next week so I can see the fight for myself.

yoda

Boost Lee Roy
Established Member
The fight was bs. hopkins waited to long to turn it up,but taylor did nothing to take the belts away from hopkins.taylor was more active and landed more punches early in the fight but didnt hurt hopkins and didnt land any clean power punches and was tired in the later rounds, hopkins threw more late and landed more power punches and hurt taylor twice. if anything it should have been a tie/draw.it was clear that hopkins won the 12 round,but one of the judges gave it to taylor and that was the deciding factor in the outcome.In my book you have to take the belts away, not have them given to you

03DOHC

Established Member
yoda said:
The fight was bs. hopkins waited to long to turn it up,but taylor did nothing to take the belts away from hopkins.taylor was more active and landed more punches early in the fight but didnt hurt hopkins and didnt land any clean power punches and was tired in the later rounds, hopkins threw more late and landed more power punches and hurt taylor twice. if anything it should have been a tie/draw.it was clear that hopkins won the 12 round,but one of the judges gave it to taylor and that was the deciding factor in the outcome.In my book you have to take the belts away, not have them given to you
Of course. That's why the champ usually wins what should be a tie. The challenger usually has to completely dominate to win the belt.

SA SNAKE

Established Member
Hopkins started way to late in the fight that is why he lost his belts. Taylor won most if not all fo the 1st six rounds. He did get tired late and was hurt but if you were keeping score he had one enough rounds to win.

fryingricecobra

Crappyservice=Nocustomers
Established Member
Taylor hurt Hopkins as well. THe only thing that kept him up was the ropes during one round.

Hopkins did win the last few rounds, but he started way late. They didn't "give" Taylor anything. He earned it by fighting the whole match and being the aggressor. Also, Hopkins was constantly being warned for trying to hit low, in the back of the head, etc.

Taylor didn't dominate the fight, but he was clearly the aggressor and deserved the win.

yoda

Boost Lee Roy
Established Member
fryingricecobra said:
Taylor hurt Hopkins as well. THe only thing that kept him up was the ropes during one round.

Hopkins did win the last few rounds, but he started way late. They didn't "give" Taylor anything. He earned it by fighting the whole match and being the aggressor.

taylor never hurt hopkins. :dw: . taylor was the aggressor early but missed alot and threw wild power punches .being the aggressor plays into the hands of a counter puncher.hopkins was just not active enough early and gave him the early rounds but dominated the late rounds and should have KO taylor.taylor did nothing to take the belts away and dont deserve to be champ.

yoda

Boost Lee Roy
Established Member
from espn.com

"In the 10th, he hurt Taylor with a right followed by two lefts along the ropes. When he tried to spin Taylor around and hit him behind the head, referee Jay Nady warned Hopkins.

The veteran started to punish Taylor in the 11th round, hurting him again with a combination. With trainer Bouie Fisher telling Hopkins he needed to close strong, Hopkins did just that.

He rocked Taylor with right hands, sending the blood flying from Taylor's face.

Ford, however, gave Taylor the round. Had he scored the 12th for Hopkins, the Philadelphian would have retained the title on a draw.

CompuBox statistics indicated how close the fight was. Taylor was credited with landing 86 of 453 punches (19 percent),while Hopkins landed 96 of 326 (27 percent)."

hopkins also landed 78 power punches compared to 50 from taylor. it was very clear that hopkins won the 12th and deciding round,so why did the judge give it to taylor :bash: .The belts were given to him not taken.

Last edited:

fryingricecobra

Established Member
yoda said:
taylor never hurt hopkins. :dw: . taylor was the aggressor early but missed alot and threw wild power punches .being the aggressor plays into the hands of a counter puncher.hopkins was just not active enough early and gave him the early rounds but dominated the late rounds and should have KO taylor.taylor did nothing to take the belts away and dont deserve to be champ.

One of the middle rounds. Jermain caught him with a right hook and Hopkins clearly was wobbled. Thats why he flopped on the ropes.

He doesn't deserve to be the champ? Give me a break. He won. Period. And highlighting the fact that if one judge had scored it differently in the 12th, then it would have been a draw makes no sense.

Thats like saying if the judge that scored it 116-112 would have scored it in Jermains favor, it wouldn't have been a split-decision. It would have been unamious.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
fryingricecobra said:
One of the middle rounds. Jermain caught him with a right hook and Hopkins clearly was wobbled. Thats why he flopped on the ropes.

That punch didn't hurt Hopkins. He was in an awkward position and stumbled from the position, not the punch. I thought it looked like a good punch when it hit, but on the replay you can clearly see it didn't even land cleanly...the crowd went bananas for it though.

I hate when the crowd is so one-sided because all the "ooing and ahhing" from the crowd influences the judges even when the punches hit arm or air...

yoda

Boost Lee Roy
Established Member
DBK said:
That punch didn't hurt Hopkins.

I hate when the crowd is so one-sided because all the "ooing and ahhing" from the crowd influences the judges even when the punches hit arm or air...

You should have seen the crowd where i was at that was "ooing an ahhing" from a flurry of misses by taylor, that mess cracked me up.and highlighting the fact that the judge gave him the 12 round does make sense. it was clear that hopkins won the 12 but the judge gave it to taylor and that gave him the win, other then that hopkins still would have the belts. Makes plenty of sense.

Last edited:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
yoda said:
You should have seen the crowd where i was at that was "ooing an ahhing" from a flurry of misses by taylor, that mess cracked me up.and highlighting the fact that the judge gave him the 12 round does make sense. it was clear that hopkins won the 12 but the judge gave it to taylor and that gave him the win, other then that hopkins still would have the belts. Makes plenty of sense.

10,11, 12 and twelve were all Hopkins doing whatever he pleased. It was great to see what he can do when he gets into action. Just amazing. He was clearly the better fighter. Who knows what the judge was watching.

However, Vegas judges virtually always score for activity even if it's useless, and Hopkins did little if anything in the first 8(except for 5)

fryingricecobra

Established Member
Everyone keeps harping about the 12th.

Well, what about the judge that scored it 16-12 for Hopkins. NO WAY did he win the first 4 out of 5.

So since everyone is wanting to play the "if" game, IF the 116-112 judge had scored round 3 or 4 for Taylor, then 12 wouldn't have mattered. See my point?

If "ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

Users who are viewing this thread