Housing market is still solid in my neck of the woods!

Blown 89

Established Member
That said, I'm starting to think what my number would be to stay working from home with zero commute/stress vs leaving the house at 5:30 to beat the traffic to work. I'd probably forgo $2k / mo, maybe more.
I would save 1.5 hours of commuting plus at least an hour in the morning getting ready, packing lunch, etc. I'll whore myself out for that luxury.

Fat Boss

Established Member
I would save 1.5 hours of commuting plus at least an hour in the morning getting ready, packing lunch, etc. I'll whore myself out for that luxury.

Yep. Pre pandemic I was getting up at 4:45 to get to work by 6. Now I have my alarm set for 7:50 in case I sleep in and turn on the laptop at 8. Of course I have a puppy now, so sleeping in is currently out of the question.

I also have no problem putting in more than 8 hours as I'm not trying to rush out the door at 3 to beat the traffic home. If I need to work from 7 to 6, no problem. Zero stress after work is worth a lot.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Tech companies in Ca have already started massive pay cuts for remote employees that Relocated out of Ca. I know Comcast and sales force for sure have.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
This is definitely not my experience, at least at my level in the IT industry... I just got a new job that pays about 30-40% more than I was getting paid previously (started this job in 2019). Lots of those roles are expected to remain remote, and the pay is extremely competitive at every job I've interviewed with. Definitely a great time to be in the job hunting market.

Maybe, I just got a new job after 8yrs, same industry (deep foundations), and doubled my salary plus some so congrats to both of us lol But there seems to be a trend that these companies are looking at wage comp much more stringently especially for work from home positions.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Tech companies in Ca have already started massive pay cuts for remote employees that Relocated out of Ca. I know Comcast and sales force for sure have.

Rightfully so, IMO. It should either be drive in and have salary X, or work from home an have salary Z. I can see this spreading through the public sector very soon. Government might have more trouble cutting salaries.

I've had an open IT spot since March. Every applicant expects to work from home, and they are asking for higher starting salary than my other IT staff. Not going to happen.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Remote workers are about to start getting paid less (as predicted). Many of silicon valley companies are already cutting salaries based on where the employee lives and the market rate in that area. If you moved from San Jose to bfe Missouri, you bout to get paid in bfe Missouri wages.

Lots of em won't be able to make those payments anymore.

I think we'll see a bubble not pop but definitely deflate with a more classical reasoning behind defaults/foreclosures. If people can't pay their bills, axe the biggest expense first.

The one thing about the middle of nowhere movers is the cost of living is far more cheaper than 25%.

They're buying homes for 200k when the equivalent near google for in-office workers is 1 million.

That 25% reduction doesn't look so bad when you consider that

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
First offer made me giggle

20k under asking and wanting me to pay closing costs...gtfo son lol

My realtor even said the guy was douche at the showing

He was doing you a real favor by offering you that. You know, because no one is buying houses today or anything

Fat Boss

Established Member
I'm waiting for the liberal call for mandatory working from home if one's job can be done from home. You know it's coming. They're not hitting the climate numbers on the current trajectory.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I'm waiting for the liberal call for mandatory working from home if one's job can be done from home. You know it's coming. They're not hitting the climate numbers on the current trajectory.

Liberal or otherwise, sign me up. If I don't have to sit in traffic cumulatively for an hour or two a day, and can work in my boxers, I'm all for it.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
He was doing you a real favor by offering you that. You know, because no one is buying houses today or anything

Right lol
The realtor is a good friend on my wife...she owns the company (the friend) and our kids are classmates

Anyway she told me the douche was approved for the full asking price

Users who are viewing this thread