Houston, we have a problem...

Harry08

Established Member
How long after driving in the rain did you notice the car running rough? Looks like the water sat in the well for quite some time by the looks of the spark plug.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Just for discussion sake, here are a few pictures of an OEM GT500 coil cover. You will notice that it is sealed all the way around, except for the rear, where the coil pack harness grommet passes through. Raw water should not get past the seal if the coil cover is torqued properly. The spark plugs that are usually affected by collecting water are the rear plugs. There are no seals on the coil cover fasteners, but I cannot see that much water penetrating at those locations. So that leaves the rear of the coil cover as the most likely point of entry for raw water. Looking under my hood, both passenger and driver side coil pack harnesses are angled down slightly from near the firewall to the rear of the coil cover. It is not difficult for me to make the connection between water entering the rear of the engine compartment and water ending up in the spark plug tubes.

CC1.jpg

CC2.jpg

CC3.jpg

SVT Jesse

Established Member
Just for discussion sake, here are a few pictures of an OEM GT500 coil cover. You will notice that it is sealed all the way around, except for the rear, where the coil pack harness grommet passes through. Raw water should not get past the seal if the coil cover is torqued properly. The spark plugs that are usually affected by collecting water are the rear plugs. There are no seals on the coil cover fasteners, but I cannot see that much water penetrating at those locations. So that leaves the rear of the coil cover as the most likely point of entry for raw water. Looking under my hood, both passenger and driver side coil pack harnesses are angled down slightly from near the firewall to the rear of the coil cover. It is not difficult for me to make the connection between water entering the rear of the engine compartment and water ending up in the spark plug tubes.

View attachment 1551361
View attachment 1551362
View attachment 1551363
Well thats ****ed.... Same spark plug that was burned up. Next step?
20190212_195120~2.jpeg

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Is that oil down in there? What’s the end of the cop look like?

If that’s oil you need a valve cover gasket kit.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I still think that first photo you posted looks like corrosion from water. The coil cover gasket won't stop that leak. There are seals that go around the hole in the valve cover. You could see if the valve cover bolts are snug. Passenger side valve cover is not hard to replace, but the driver's side takes a lot of ingenuity to remove without taking out the brake booster. I was able to do it by dropping the k-member on that side several inches and jacking up the transmission.

Coosawjack

Established Member
Copper Plugs gapped at 0.035" will fix the stumble....new gaskets for oil in plug wells and silicone on the back of coil covers will help stop water intrusion!!;)

Good Luck!!:D

69b302

Established Member
I would disconnect the suspect coil pack and see if it runs the same. Coil pack could also be leaking.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but I don't know if we're looking at multiple pictures of one spark plug hole or multiple spark plug holes full of motor oil. If you have not changed the plugs yet, do that. Also crank the engine over several times once all that crap falls down the cylinder when the plug is removed, unless you have a way to soak it up before pulling the plug(s).

SVT Jesse

Established Member
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but I don't know if we're looking at multiple pictures of one spark plug hole or multiple spark plug holes full of motor oil. If you have not changed the plugs yet, do that. Also crank the engine over several times once all that crap falls down the cylinder when the plug is removed, unless you have a way to soak it up before pulling the plug(s).

Thats the same cylinder, different angles. Ive changed out the plugs. I dont think thats actuslly oil

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Are you on E85? Maybe your oil smells like gas. To me it looks like the gasket is leaking at the tube.

Doesn’t look like water at all.

If gas is getting in there, it has to be all over the top of the valve cover. Besides, it would have ignited in there most likely.

69b302

Established Member
If you cleaned it out and now there is new fluid and you did not drive in the rain, and don't have fluid all over the valve covers, the leak is in the spark plug well. That leaves only a few items: valve cover grommet around well leaking oil, cracked head leaking coolant(would green or pink), or the coil pack leaking. You could move the coil pack as another easy option.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't see oil accumulate that fast. You said it smelled like ethanol. Are you sure this isn't coolant? You have some real problems if it is. I'd check the compression in that cylinder and the two next to it, unless it's on one end. I'd try to find a bore scope and see if you can get inside that cylinder too.

SVT Jesse

Established Member
The the plastic grommit on the coil was loose and there was moisture built up. Pulled it off wiped it down, reattached the sleeve running. Smooth again. Thank you guys, and boy do i feel foolish

MG0h3

Established Member
Maybe he means the boot.

Either way, that still looks like oil from a leaky Vc gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread