How can I add a amp and speakers to the stock system

Killer Cobra

Established Member
Can someone tell me how I can install just a amp and woofers in the trunk? I would just like to piggy back off the stock system in the back to get the signal for my amp RCA input.

Do I need any special output device?

Maybe I should just have it installed by someone that knows what they are doing.

thanks!

jguerrero

Established Member
all you are going to need is a convertor that changes the rear speaker output into an RCA signal. I think they cost like 5-10 bucks or something at radio shack, or any audio store. You can use one of your rear speakers, and run that siganl to the amp. Works pretty decent. A friend just did it and it sounds surprisingly clear.

Juiced-03

Established Member
You need a line out converter so you can hook RCA's to the amplifier and Mach460. I did this setup on my 2001 Cobra with the same stereo and it sounded very nice! I had my local stereo shop wire it up for $50, but I could have done it myself. It takes a while to adjust the converters levels to match the 460 though. You might have way too much bass at low volume levels so you need to turn the gain down. It works great if you dont want to upgrade the whole system. It was nice having the six disc changer in dash with the stock look, yet having 2 12's bumpin' in the trunk :D

Here is a great writeup on the install:

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/despeeds1.htm

Killer Cobra

Established Member
What about the stock amp pushing watts to the back speaker wire? Would that screw up my amp taking the signal that has alot of juice flowing through it? ? Or do I need something to convert it back to a low level output? I'm trying here!!! LOL...

jguerrero

Established Member
basically the convertor acts like a filter. It only pulls out the RCA audio signal. The amplified signal will not go into the amp, way to high.

Also, make sure the amp has a good crossover, or buy a sperate crossover, since the sudio signal is going to contain all the frequencies, instead of just lows which is what you want. The better the crossover, the better its going to sound.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Get a Scosche Line Output Converter from Walmart for under $20. I tried a cheaper one and it didn't work well. The Scosche LOC also lets you adjust the signal strength so you can match it to your amp. You hook into the system between the rear seats at the bottom of the package tray. There is a plug with 4 wires there that you splice into. Read this article for info. http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/despeeds1.htm

Edit-I used an inline crossover. All you have to do is plug it in to the RCA cable. Here's the link for the crossovers. http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage...D=195&sm=1&so=2&search_type=42575955&desc=ASC

Last edited:

Woodsrat

Established Member
If you use the JBL BP 300/600/1200.1 subwoofer amp, they have a sophisicated LOC built-in that integrates perfectly with the stock system. I have the BP 300.1 powering a single JL 10W3 in my '03 Cobra, it works great. The signal connector to tap into is the four wire connector in the middle of the rear deck, easy to see when you fold down the rear seatbacks and look up.

CyberDaveA

Established Member
400w going to two 15" subs... sounds pretty underpowered to me. I have 980 watts going to one 12" kicker solobaric. I read somewhere that underpowering a sub is harmful and will add distortion eventually and cause the sub to fail.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
These are free air Kickers. I've had them since 1995 with this amp. This will be the 3rd car they will be going in. Trust me, it's WAY too much BASS for the stock Mids and Tweets..I have them mounted in a Enclosure but the rear is open. Think of it as a full box but with the back open. This setup in a truck is just NASTY..Who needs a trunk? I have a Vert too..My Cobra is for pure pleasure.. The woman can go food shopping...

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
You have to match the amp power to the sub power handling capabilities. My Bazooka 10" runs well with just 115w. Of course, I'm getting a little old to be booming it. LOL!

Edit-BTW, after you get the sub in adjust your fader so the signal mostly goes to the front speakers. I have mine set on 3 bars on the front side. It makes it sound a little better and more aftermarket and keeps the soundstage approximately where it should be [it's stock so don't expect a perfect sound stage].

Last edited:

RGrossman

Established Member
Depends on what the subs are designed to take. I have 800 watts going into 3 10s. Their RMS is 300 each and works perfect.

Killer Cobra

Established Member
I'm not looking to win any contests..LOL

I just want some more BASS....How Low can you Go!!!

Boom Boom ti ti ti boom Da Boom..ti

qmcobra

Established Member
I just bought a line level to RCA converter at best buy. I was able to unplugged the wire harness going directly to one of the rear speakers. From there, I kind of stuck the RCA converter wires into one side of the harness and then reconncted it. This let me tie in without cutting any wires. I was going to help a friend do the same thing, but I found it was easier to go to Best Buy or other Electronic store and just pay one of those guys to make a wire harness that plugs into the deck. this will give you the leads you need to hook up your amp. The factory harness then plugs into the one they made for you.

My biggest problem is fitting a box through the tiny trunk opening on my vert.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
That one is easy, just tap the 2 lines on the rear speakers and run them directly into the amp's high gain inputs (versus RCA).

Since you will be running subs, you won't notice any problems with sound quality. Plus you won't have to do any crazy taps into the stock harness. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread