How did Norton get my new debit card number?

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't think I signed up for automatic renewal. I found someone saying that's an "option" they added but it wasn't listed and you were automatically signed up for it. They even said you had to contact Norton to get it removed. They updated not long ago saying they added the removal process online. I turned off auto renewal and deleted my billing info.

Norton, by default, has that option checked when you sign up. You have to actually make it a point to NOT auto renew when installing and subscribing.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I had been a loyal Norton customer for years but they've been going downhill in many ways. When it wouldn't let me update my definitions (Norton wanted me to try uninstalling and reinstalling their product) for almost two weeks, that was it for Norton! Seems that is their go-to method for resolving a problem. Uninstall. Reinstall. No thanks! So I have been gradually moving our computers (home and office) from Norton to Kaspersky. I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Premium in tandum for a few months now and love them both. No issues. It's as if they aren't even there, until they catch something, which has happened a couple of times. My system runs faster without Norton, too.

As far as auto-renewals, I never do that. Mainly because the renewal cost is higher than what you can find through a simple search. I just find the cheapest package and enter the registration codes into my existing products. Simple and I save money. :)

I've used Symantec Corporate products on the networks I manage for years and years. When Symantec Corporate AV was replaced with Symantec Endpoint Protection, the reliability of the product fell drastically. Not only that, the system resources it took to run it skyrocketed. After hours of wasted time troubleshooting and fixing their crap product and a couple lost customers, I started using other products. I cringe anytime I see a system of any sort (desktop or server) with a Symantec product on it - not just their AV.

crazyj0n

Established Member
Maybe norton has some elaborate end user license agreement that allows them to collect credit card information (that you inputted on another site like amazon) store it and automatically charge to renew account? News to me let us know what happens.

http://computerhelpzone.blogspot.com/2009/02/beware-of-nortons-automatic-renewal.html

quick search explains the automatic renewal, but how the hell did they find the brand new debit card?

Last edited:

Saikodi

Established Member
How good is this? I've been tempted to try it before. I get free Norton through Comcast right now and it really seems to slow stuff down vs the old security I had.

Norton slows down the computer quite a bit. Plus it also locks files and if you are trying to install something, you will most likely be required to do a restart due to the locks held. MS security software is pretty good.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
McAfee pulled this shit on me too. Then you call them and they have no records of your account being active since 2004.

Im working with my cc company to remove the charges now.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Some companies can "ping" credit/debit cards to see if they are cancelled or expire while under contract.

It's interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread