How did you accquire your R ?

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
After reading Robert M's story about how he came across his three R's, (Looking for a 93R), I thought I would start a new thread, how and where did we acquire our R's? I'm sure there must be some good stories out there to be told.

I'll even volunteer to go first ....

Summer of 2001 I traveled to Detroit for the Woodward Ave. Dream Cruise, and an SVTOA open track event at Waterford Hills. While at the OT event on Mon., Aug. 13 - My birthday, the Michgian Mothers Against Drunk Driving showed up selling raffle tickets to win a 2000 R. Some of you may remember the ads in the back of Autoweek that summer. Well, I figured it was only $50 and for a good cause, so I bought a ticket and pretty much forgot about it till a few months later, when I got the call from Michigan saying I had WON the R !!:D Talk about "I hope your sitting down right now " type of moment.

Took me about a month to work out the details, income tax, where to keep the car till it was ready to be shipped (Thanks Mark), etc. and on Nov. 20, 2001, R # 76 was sitting in my garage, just in time for a brutal winter.

I've now got 8000 miles on her, and took it back to Detroit last summer for the FORD 100th, OT at Gingerman, Watkins Glen, etc. I'm not as hard core as some of the other guys here, one or two OT events per year suits me fine. The rest of the miles to be put on are cruise nights, and late night drives when I can open it up a bit.

Ok, that's my story, who's next?

Last edited:

Andy M

Established Member
well, in July 2000, a close friend and work colleague shows up at work with this very radical looking thing with a huge rear wing, and bulging hood... and I think to myself??? what the ..??

He proceeds to tell me all about the R.. (at this point I am clueless about what an R model Mustang is?...) and how he came about it.. basically, his father was close friends with the owner of the dealership in Houston which had ONE of the 300 cars due to arrive any time... and of course, like many others who bought them new, he paid a premium for the car; as there were many other folks (including an Astros ball player) who wanted the car.

Anyway, he lets me drive this thing, and I was giddy the rest of the day.. what a machine!!

Fast forward one year, and he walks up to me in the hallway at work one morning... and says "I think I'm gonna sell the R"... and I said "WHAT"???? are you crazy??? right about this time, I was looking for a track car, but had not considered such a rare one or an expensive one... But, I was absolutely taken back with the car, and just HAD to have it. He had kept it inside a storage unit and it only had 1200 miles. It was still like the day he picked it up... all the stickers, markings, wrapping on the seats - EVERYTHING was just as it was when he took delivery.. and since I knew the car and its history... I immediately went home and began negotiations with my finance appropriations minister (my wife) to find the necessary funds to purchase the car.

August 21, 2001 I purchased the car. It was a hit with all the folks in my neighborhood (both young and old)! I did my first open track event a couple of months later and I was HOOKED!! I proceeded to begin doing modifications to make it better and of course the modding continues today. The car now has just over 15K miles, with nearly half of that being track miles.

I have just been having a blast running track with my good friend Joe Johnson, and others here. I can't imagine life without this car. It has definitely gotten into my soul and left a permanent impression.

Cobra-R

Established Member
I will tell of buying my first 00R since that is the only one with any hope of being interesteing.

I had bought my 99 Lightning in june of 99, with that I started getting the SVT enthusiasts magazine. The issue came that had the writeup on the 00R, it completely blew me away. I showed the article to my wife, she looked at me and said "you will own one by the end of the year"(women really have us pegged, don't they?). With all the talk about how hard they were going to be to get, and they were all supposedly sold before getting to the dealers I just thought it would be a pipe dream and kinda forgot about it.

Then in about august(of 00) or so I saw one on ebay, I threw a lowball bid in just to see what kind of reaction I would get. A day or two later I got a email from a dealer in Colorado that had one on the showroom floor, but still wanted over list price. After 6 weeks or so and a couple fallen thru deals on the dealers part with other buyers, he finally agreed to my price and it was done.

I flew out to Denver on a friday evening, took a taxi directly to the dealership. You should have seen the looks on the salesmans face when I told him I was driving the car straight thru to home that very night. 1200 miles and 20 or so hrs later, I rolled in to the garage.

This car is probly the most special of any car I own, I guess when you have to go thru what we did to get it, you appreciate it more?

Brian

PS: since you guys listed milage, I will too.
00R #131 2400 miles (the one driven home from Co.
00R #148 1800 miles
95R 5800 weekend driven only miles.

Last edited:

93 COBRA

Established Member
Back in ’93 I was an 18 college student and couldn’t afford a new 5.0 LX let alone an “R”. In Jan 2000 I came across a '93R #93 sitting in the showroom of a “higher end” used sports car dealer about 10 miles away. The car had 1,800 miles and was still unprepped and in plastic. They took in my '95 Lightning as trade and the R was mine. And have since put on about 800 miles and use it for car shows and local cruise nights, and eventually I’ll get the nerve to do a track day.

Last edited:

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
2000 r

i bought a 99 vert anniversary model. i heard about the r for 2000 and in august of 99 i gave my dealer a $100 deposit to hold the car for me if they got one in the lottery. well, almost 10 months later, it was mine. btw, the dealer honered the msrp on the car.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Re: 2000 r

Originally posted by scottmartin
i bought a 99 vert anniversary model. i heard about the r for 2000 and in august of 99 i gave my dealer a $100 deposit to hold the car for me if they got one in the lottery. well, almost 10 months later, it was mine. btw, the dealer honered the msrp on the car.

wow, $100 to hold a $55,000 car, that is cool. :beer: :beer:

kevin

got a lead at a salt lake dealer. flew up. signed the papers. drove 1800 miles in july back to houston with a stop in colorado to buy a house. went during the hotest part of the year. air conditioning worked great as well as the stereo radio.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
95R

I tried to buy a 93R new in 1993. I had contacted several dealers and made offers. No one would sell at my price.

I tried to buy a 95R in the late spring of 1995. I was $500 away from picking one up and had a roll bar ready to install. Another guy outbid me the day I was to pick it up (the dealer wanted to get us in a bidding war which I refused). The new owner of the car took it to a Mustang shop and installed A/C and a radio.:bash:

In the next two years I was completely killed at a few race tracks by the 93/95R's (I was in a '94 well sorted Cobra).

I was trying to buy a 00R when I noticed an ad for a 95R ($17,000 less than my original offer for the new one). I immediately hooked up my trailer and drove to Buffalo, NY to pick up the 3000 mile car (I hadn't seen snow in years). I drove into my neighborhood with my new white car after a 2100 mile tow but wasn't the least bit tired due to an adrenalin high. I unloaded the car, washed it, and drove it around for over 100 miles. I agree with others: it becomes part of your family. Now I am looking for another one.:beer:

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Hey Dave, I actually heard about how you won that cobra r. Didnt they ask you if you had a spot in your garage or something. Thats awesome that you won the car!

PETSNKE

Established Member
Originally posted by DAVESVT2000
the Michgian Mothers Against Drunk Driving showed up selling raffle tickets to win a 2000 R. Some of you may remember the ads in the back of Autoweek that summer. Well, I figured it was only $50 and for a good cause, so I bought a ticket

Yeah, I've bought $100 in raffle tickets from them the past couple years. Like you said, it's for a good cause. Next time though I'm gonna try to forget that I bought them like you did, I think that's the key :D

1993R

Established Member
I originally owned 1993 Street Cobra #86. I had the opportunity to buy Steeda's 1993R when Dario sold it. I actually got a ride in it and wanted an R. Well I kept #86 for 3 years and went to cruises and shows and ran a ton of Solo II in it. I had the opportunity to buy a 95R new but passed due to a new child on the way. In 1996 I had moved to Atlanta. I was seriously thinking of buying a Neon ACR and going club racing. I went to my local Ford dealer(a friend) and we discussed the ACR. He then showed me a 95R he got hung with. He had sold the R to Earnie Irvan. The problem was that Irvan crashed at Michigan and due to his injuries was not going to take delivery.The 95R was offered to me for a real good price.So I went home to mull it over. I really liked the 93R's even though the 95R's were a better performer. a couple of days later I spotted an ad for an original 93R at a Ford dealership in Long Island NY. After making some calls and talking to the owner a drove #86 to NY and traded for #23 R. They already had #86 sold when I arrived. I turned around and drove the R home.Car was still in plastic with 36 miles when I picked it up. It was still out on open MSO so I'am the original owner.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Hey Dave, I actually heard about how you won that cobra r. Didnt they ask you if you had a spot in your garage or something. Thats awesome that you won the car!

Thanks, when I got the call, the MADD rep. at first did not identify himself, and was asking personal questions like, what kind of car do you have, are you into mustangs, do you have a big garage? I was starting to get pissed, not knowing who it was :fm: That's when he finally identified himself and told me the good news :-D I apologized and he couldn't stop laughing, I replied " Are you f**king kidding me? " And he replied, "No, I am not f**king kidding you " and started laughing. It was quite the phone call. I think the hard part was waiting for the car to get here, and then having to put it away for 6 months. Well worth the wait though...

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Spring 1999 - after owning many, many older mustangs, and presently owning a 95 GT vert, I decided it was about time to move up to a brand new cobra vert - I was doing some day-trading at the time - the stock market had been doing extremely well, and the new body style had won me over after being a bit skeptical at first....so, I got a few prices on 99's and trade-in values on the 95 GT and checked which color combos were coming in to my dealer and decided on white with tan top and tan interior....I loved the car and the power it had over the 95 GT....

rumors circulated about the 00R and the high price tag and all the hype surrounding the car, and I said, well, seems a bit out of my league....just too much for a car that I wouldnt be able to drive and park at the mall or wherever without fear of being stolen or damaged....

May 2000 - at the Carlisle All-Ford Nationals, the 'feature attraction' was the '00R....it was THE first one made, driven into the showfield by John Colletti himself....well, after hearing it run, seeing it up close, and listening to JC's speech, I was hooked! I just knew I had to have one....THE fastest-ever production mustang!

shortly thereafter, while having a recall done on the family expedition, my dealer said his '00R was due in any day, but it had been pre-sold for $75K!!!!!! he called when it came in, and I went over there to drool over it....he said he may have access another, and he'd let me know if and when it did....nothing....a few months later, and after watching them on ebay in the 60's 70's and 80's, he called with one that had just come thru auction - aparently someone failed to make their payments, and it got repo'd! only 49 miles on it! but, asking price was $62,500.00 and still over my budget....he called a week or so later and said, for you, $59k....again, too much....it went down to $56,500 and someone bought it a few weeks later....months passed by, and some more sell on ebay, but prices were dropping to around sticker, not too bad....I'd bid here and there but didnt make reserve....a guy emailed me seeing I had bid on someone else's '00R and that he'd sell his 25 mile showroom cond car for $55k - I passed, he emailed me a few weeks later, $52k....hmmm, now we're talking! meanwhile, I see one on ebay, brand new, at an exotic car dealer in Ohio for $48k and NO RESERVE!!!! NO BIDS!!!! 3 days to go!!!! I had my 99 cobra vert with 4500 miles on it, and not enough cash to buy the '00R outright, and I feared that if I bid, even at the very end of the auction, that I'd probably be outbid in the last seconds of the auction anyhow....I emailed the dealer and asked a few questions, and he replied with "call me" so I explained my dilemma....he said, well you know what the car is all about, its got 82 dealer miles, original mso, never titled, he'd take the 99 in trade, and for a not-too-bad price of $24k - which was half of the R! some more negotiations - he'd deliver it FREE of charge AND take the '99 back with him - too good to be true!!!! I just barely had enough cash to complete the deal, and jumped on it....surprisingly, nobody else bid!!!! I got it!!!! April of 2001 :rockon:

well, I started with the message boards, and someone here :lol: invited me to join this site, then proceded to corrupt me with track talk, and less than a year later, I hit the track and was immediately hooked....and its been all downhill ever since! :lol1:

now, would I sell it? HELL NO!!!!! I bought it right and have also become very attached to it....

now, all I need (ok want) is a new Ford GT - and not the mustang ;-)

PS: I still woulnt part with the '00R :beer:

1Fast R

Well, it all began when my husband inherited a shi*t load of money from his Mom. We belong to the Mustang Club here and have a 01 Bullitt that he drove for awhile and thought it was pretty fast indeed. After his Mom passed, he decided he wanted his very own fast Mustang. He asked some Club members what Mustang he sould get that was good and fast. Someone told him there was a S351R (or something like that) for sale so we went for that one. Low and behold, it was already sold. So Bill asked some more members about fast Mustangs. A couple of guys told him to look for a 2000 Cobra R, that they had just came out the year before (this was in October of 2001.) We had not even heard of the Cobra R as of yet. So one of the guys went ahead and searched the Net for an R for us. I think he may have come to this site to look.

Anyway, long story short, the closest R for sale was just 5 hours away. So Bill and his friend borrowed an enclosed hauler and set off to buy the 00 Cobra R that was still on the showroom floor in Isaquah, Wa. (Yes, that was the one that had the bird shit all over on it and dust.) :eek: It cleaned up nicely. It only had 500 miles on it and hadn't been papered yet. Now she has almost 10,000 miles and planning on getting several thousand more this coming driving season! ;-)

My husband is known as "The R-Man" in our Mustang Club. Everytime he has a kill or a cool story about encounters with the R, I put a story in our monthly newsletter. Lots of folks wait anxiously, I hear, for the newsletter to come out just so they can read Bill's stories. he he

Vicki

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
I had a supercharged '93 Cobra, which was a freakin' blast to drive BTW, and one day back in '97 I went to a local Ford Stealer. He had a used '95R in the showroom with a few hundred miles on it. I sat down and talked to him only to find out they wanted STICKER for the used car, plus offered my jack $hit for my Cobra. That didn't happen. A couple weeks later I was driving by another dealership and saw this white 'Stang sitting out front. It took a minute to sink in that it was also a '95 R! I called later that night to find out it was still brand new w/ 46 miles - never titled! That weekend I thrashed on my '93 and removed the S/C, Exhaust, Shifter, etc. Basically put it back to stock. Monday night I took it to the Dealer. They offered me a good price for my trade and I was out-the-door with a brand new 1995 Mustang Cobra R in October,1997! Turns out the owner originally wanted to keep it for himself, so it was put away in a garage at the dealership. Later on he decided to sell it and I was there.

While it's not the fastest thing on the road, it is a real fun car to drive. Now the odometer is up to about 970 miles...:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread