How did you accquire your R ?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
anyone else have some cool pics of their R's??

Here's a few:

SNWturn%2013.jpg

GingyBruceJustin.jpg

2000R'sm.jpg

Turn3CGT.jpg

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Hey Bruce, is that the porsche in your VIR video that goes off the track? :)

Yep! :-D I think he was driving his rear view mirror worrying more about me than where he was going.

My Track Dawg Damian said:

"DOOOD!!!!! U PASSED THIS CAR!?!?!?!?! "

upassedthiscar.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I know this is a bit old, but some members here are posting stories about their R’s, so I figured it would be ok to bump.

Add your stories here guys !

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Ok, I’ll play...

I have been in awe of the 2000 Cobra R and was watching them closely for a couple years prior to buying mine in the Fall of 2016. I had actually never seen one in person until mine was unloaded off the trailer at my house! So, going back before the delivery, I had been lightly looking for awhile. One day, I’m looking through Hemmings and come across a small print ad (no pics). It listed a 00R for sale in the middle of nowhere Montana with 750 miles on it. I called and spoke with the older gentleman and he told me the history about the car. It was 1 of 5 sold in Canada. The first owner did not know it was a track-only car in Canada until he went to register it. Since all 300 cars were identical, the 5 that went to Canada didn’t have daytime running lights or a kilometers speedometer. There is a door-jam decal that states the car is strictly for track based competition only. The first owner was friends with Peter Klutt from Legendary Motorcars. He kept the 00R at Peter’s facility and would occasionally borrow a dealer tag to take the car to a car show. The R got 250 miles on it in its first 10 years. The first owner sold it to the elderly gentleman in Montana, who drove it 500 more miles in the next 5 years of ownership. He said he used it to take his grandson out for ice cream, but it just sat in the garage under a cover.

The second owner was about to undergo knee replacement surgery. We spoke many times on the phone, sometimes we just chatted about his surgery. He said he was getting quite a few calls about the car, but he told them all it was already sold since he liked me. We hadn’t even agreeed on a price or confirmed a sale at this point. After the surgery and some heeling time, we chatted again and made the sale official. The whole process took a few months. I loved the low-mile pristine state of the car. I also loved that it had its original hood and the hood was blister-free. Despite these cars not having a warranty in the U.S., the Canadian dealership authorized a hood repaint under warranty. The hood was properly redone and the factory blisters were corrected permanently.

The timing of the sale was not ideal for me, I was in the final stages of spending a crap-ton of money building my dream garage. I just couldn’t pass up this opportunity.

The owner removed the front splitter and wrapped it in blankets and put it in the cabin of the car. I was worried about it getting damaged during shipment. The car arrived unscathed and it was love at first site! I have a handful of Mustangs and this one is by far my favorite! Every time I take it out for a spirited run, I am grinning ear-to-ear.

That’s the story of acquiring my R.

86_E2_D2_F9-_D61_C-4_F5_A-_B807-97_F8318_CC2_FC.jpg

1164_A143-93_BE-4293-9972-_C2_A6_E89_BBE29.jpg

17_C7956_B-_F57_A-42_ED-8540-3_B80_C4442_EC7.jpg

Attachments

• 1164_A143-93_BE-4293-9972-_C2_A6_E89_BBE29.jpg
    1164_A143-93_BE-4293-9972-_C2_A6_E89_BBE29.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 17_C7956_B-_F57_A-42_ED-8540-3_B80_C4442_EC7.jpg
    17_C7956_B-_F57_A-42_ED-8540-3_B80_C4442_EC7.jpg
    779 KB · Views: 132
  • 86_E2_D2_F9-_D61_C-4_F5_A-_B807-97_F8318_CC2_FC.jpg
    86_E2_D2_F9-_D61_C-4_F5_A-_B807-97_F8318_CC2_FC.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 127

Jason95R

Established Member
My story:

I always had a love for mustangs. My dad had a '67 Fastback while I was in high school that he let me drive from time to time. I bought a '87 GT convertible in college as my first mustang. (That car was stolen while visiting my college GF at her school) I then bought a '94 GT that I daily drove until I turned 24 and traded it in for a Subaru WRX. (I know I know)

My love for Cobra R's was started when my best friend's dad bought a '95 R brand new. That car has stayed local it's whole life. The original owner track prepped it by stripping the whole interior and doing a ton of custom aluminum fab work. Added a cage, fuel management and ignition system, fire system.... the whole 9 yards. He would track it at Limerock Park in CT and did a few days at Watkens Glen. He decided to sell it to my step dad in the early 2000's with about 4000 miles on it. The majority track miles. My step dad did some open track days and SCCA events with it. I drove it a fair amount throughout his ownership as well. He finally decided to sell it a few years later to a guy in Danbury, CT who owns the race shop that did all of the custom fabrication work on it for the original owner. That guy kept it a few years and never really drove it. He ended up selling it back to the original owner who registered the car in CT for the first time around 2012 or 2013. The original owner then sold the car to one of my friends in 2014 who currently owns the car at this point along with a 2000 R.

Fast forward to August 2015 and my friend with the 2 R's calls me saying he found a '95 on ebay and it's in PA. He said I should buy it. The ebay listing ended without a sale and I got in touch with the owner and we spoke over the phone at length a few times. We ended up agreeing on a price and I wired him the money. My friend and I picked a Friday morning to go down and pick up the R. It was a 480 mile round trip from CT to PA. We hopped in my 2013 Audi S4 and set off. Got to the owners house late morning and inspected the car. He had a ton of extra/stock parts (more on that in a minute) and we packed them all into the S4 and hit the road for the 240 mile trip back. It was hot! about 85 degrees. We stopped once in North Jersey to grab some food and were back in town by 6pm. It was a great way to get acquainted with my new car.

The guy I bought it from was a member on this forum. It had higher miles (32000) when I bought it. He put on about 30,000 of those in his ownership. He would drive it back and forth from PA to SC in the summers where his family had a beach house. He also had a '67 Shelby GT 350 in the garage. He did all of the mods to the car. Different exhaust, heads, cam, tune. I bought the car as is and have all of the stock parts to return to stock if need be. I wasn't looking for a bubble car and wanted something that I could drive and not worry about putting miles on. You definitely can't tell it has high miles. There are no scratches, dents, chips. Nothing at all on the stock paint. Since my purchase I've only put on about 1000 mile and the car spends most of its time under a cover in my garage. I take it to work every so often, golf here and there. I think about selling it now and then since it doesn't get much seat time, but as soon as I take it out for a ride those thoughts quickly leave my head.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully someone gets some enjoyment out of my story.

Jason

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
My story:

....Fast forward to August 2015 and my friend with the 2 R's calls me saying he found a '95 on ebay and it's in PA. He said I should buy it...

You got a good one. What is the number of 250 so I can enter it in my database?

I am taking my 95R #113 out tomorrow for a long drive in these spring time temperatures.

95R2017.jpg

You can check timing by removing the plug located around the battery. The factory reading is +10 ATDC, so I go to +12 with good gas on a cool day. I can make pictures if you are confused.

Jason95R

Established Member
You got a good one. What is the number of 250 so I can enter it in my database?

My car is 95R # 172. Do you know more about it than the info I got? The previous owner did post on her a few times. I'd be curious if you have more info on it.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
My car is 95R # 172. Do you know more about it than the info I got? The previous owner did post on her a few times. I'd be curious if you have more info on it.

Yes, #172 sold on Ebay with 1642 miles. It was Northest Ford in PA (to Don A.).

It later sold to Jason on 3/16 with 32K miles for $16,700. It's just what I have and may be wrong (it's the internet).

Have fun driving it. You can'r break them.

Jason95R

Established Member
Yes, #172 sold on Ebay with 1642 miles. It was Northest Ford in PA (to Don A.).

It later sold to Jason on 3/16 with 32K miles for $16,700. It's just what I have and may be wrong (it's the internet).

Have fun driving it. You can'r break them.

Maybe my original post wasn't that clear. I am the Jason that you have in your data base. I bought the car 8/15 from Ron in PA with 32K miles on it and have owned it since.

My understanding is that the car was originally sold in NJ new to Don A. It was then sold to Ron in PA with around 1600 miles. He sold it to me in August of 2015 with 32k miles on it. He owned it for quite some time. 10 years I think. I need to go and look at all my paperwork and look at the trail again. But I'm pretty sure I am the 3rd owner. I have all of the paperwork going back to new but haven't looked at it since I bought the car.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s been a while, anyone care to update this thread ?
Dave,
You have plenty of quotes here. :D

I have said that my fast 1995 Cobra R was bought in Buffalo, NY (one of two delivered to NY) from an undertaker. It had 3916 miles on it. I drove a truck and an empty trailer to pick up to Buffalo get the car.

I had already raced vintage cars at Watkins Glen (including the Zippo) so I knew how to get there. I ignored the exit to Watkins Glen and went north.

The owner opened his garage, and I knew that car would be going home with me. I paid him and loaded the car on the trailer.

I've been seeing more and more of early Fox and SN95 cars getting big bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread