How did you route your heat exchanger and ice box????

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
I'm wrapping up my trunk mounted ice tank in tall and curious how did you guys run your plumbing? Oem set up goes to heat exchanger first and then into intercooler. I heard some guys run ice tank straigh into intercooler, then into he and back to ice tank. I can see a benefit from this set up if you have ice in the tank- cold water goes straigh into intercooler. How well would it work on the street, in trafic??? My car mainly a street car, I will pack ice in the tank but obviously can't run it everywhere I go. thoughts?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
As you know, the aftermarket ice boxes will only provide a significant benefit when they are packed with ice. This is certainly not really possible or practical to accomplish on the street. The ice will melt relatively quickly and you're going to lose the primary purpose of the system. Thus, in actuality, regardless of how you route the system, your street performance is not going to be really impacted by your trunk mounted ice tank. The best way to route it would be intercooler > ice box > heat exchanger > intercooler.

Now, where these really shine is track use. Ideally, the best way to run this system at the track is to remove the heat exchanger all together and just run the intercooler fluid directly into the ice tank and back into the intercooler. Side benefit is that you get the extra weight of the heat exchanger off the front end of your car. I've seen several fellas that would remove the HE for drag strip duty and then reinstall for street duty. Most don't want to go to the hassle to do this so if you want to incorporate the HE here's the way to optimally incorporate it at the track: intercooler > heat exchanger > ice box > intercooler. This way the HE is taking some of the heat out of the fluid before if goes into the ice tank. If you run it the traditional way, (intercooler > ice box > heat exchanger > intercooler), the HE can actually have a minor heating affect on the fluid if the ambient is high enough.

Last edited:

MADRUSSIAN

GET FAST OR DIE TRYING!
Established Member
Dude..... I'm still trying to figure out how to route plumbing. I don't think there is any way to run it through interior without being obvious, so for me it's not an option. I figured I have to run it underneath the car. Bigest challenge is how to route it over axle, once you over and past gas tank, it's cake, just run it among the framing rail on pass side to wheel well and to heat exchanger.
So back to going over the axle. Exhaust piping is in the way so I'm trying to keep as much distance as posible between rubber hose and hot exhaust. Ultimately I decided to get flexible heat shield along with some heat reflective sleeves so I can run sleeves on each hose from muffler to begging of gas tank and use shield to Monti ed as a firewall between muffler and hoses.

Coonsnake

Established Member
Madrussian you have it right the first time. Go directly from your tank into the intercooler, then to the heat exchanger then back to the tank. When you ice it down you will have directly put the ice to intercooler first and give it the initial chill factor. If it goes to heat exchanger first it will only warm the fluid to ambient temp before it reaches the intercooler.

When you go over the axle with hose you can wrap it with some heat shield tape from Autozone then use a line bracket and some self tapping screws to hold it close to car as possible away from the exhaust.

Hope this helps

JD

Blackmax

Established Member
nning the hoses under the car sucks
Dude..... I'm still trying to figure out how to route plumbing. I don't think there is any way to run it through interior without being obvious, so for me it's not an option. I figured I have to run it underneath the car. Bigest challenge is how to route it over axle, once you over and past gas tank, it's cake, just run it among the framing rail on pass side to wheel well and to heat exchanger.
So back to going over the axle. Exhaust piping is in the way so I'm trying to keep as much distance as posible between rubber hose and hot exhaust. Ultimately I decided to get flexible heat shield along with some heat reflective sleeves so I can run sleeves on each hose from muffler to begging of gas tank and use shield to Monti ed as a firewall between muffler and hoses.

I had a hard look today and running under the car really sucks, I would have to insulate the hoses as my track would hang me in the nearest tree if condensation came off. I have rear seat delete so ruuning hoses under carpet and passenger seat then out the big rubber grommet at firewall , then its a clear shot to HE and intercooler. I also drive street so I am going to intercooler direct then out to HE and back to trunk tank.

Users who are viewing this thread