How did your ears ring after loud exposure?

LUBaseball2

Established Member
I went to an outdoor range yesterday to shoot a few rounds through my pistol and bent over to to smack a bug off my leg while reloading and my ear bud fell out of my ear while the guy in the lane next to me was shooting his revolver. Ever since about 4pm yesterday my left ear has been ringing and very sensitive to noise. I am hoping it will go away in a day or so but I'm just curious if anyone has had this happen and how long it took for the ringing to go away.

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
My ears have been ringing for the last 3 years.

I guess a couple years in afghanistan does that to you.

I was exposed to a couple minutes of M249 fire without earpro. It was pretty brutal for a few days, but the worst of it went away after a day or two.

Last edited:

Explosive

Established Member
Usually 10 10 minutes or so the worst I ever had was a couple hours I'd be a little concerned with a full day

LUBaseball2

Established Member
My ears have been ringing for the last 3 years.

I guess a couple years in afghanistan does that to you.

I was exposed to a couple minutes of M249 fire without earpro. It was pretty brutal for a few days, but the worst of it went away after a day or two.

Hmmm.. How bad has the ringing been compared to when it first happened.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Itll take a few days if this is the first time you've experienced that.

We went to the range one time and my buddy popped off his Ruger .45 a few feet from me before I got my earplugs in. It felt like my eardrum shattered. That side ear was ringing for a few days.

I have no idea how people do this shit in close quarters with far louder firearms.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I had the joy of hearing an AR-15, right next to me, being fired inside a small room, without any ear protection.

My ears rang for a couple hours.

F8LBITEva

Alexis Texas' #1 fan
Established Member
It usually lasts a couple days for me. Make me think when theres a shootout in a movie, if it was real that dude would be hurting for a few weeks.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
Itll take a few days if this is the first time you've experienced that.

We went to the range one time and my buddy popped off his Ruger .45 a few feet from me before I got my earplugs in. It felt like my eardrum shattered. That side ear was ringing for a few days.

I have no idea how people do this shit in close quarters with far louder firearms.

Yea it's the first time I have I was just worried it was going to be permanent. I'm assuming mine will take at least a few days as well then.

It usually lasts a couple days for me. Make me think when theres a shootout in a movie, if it was real that dude would be hurting for a few weeks.

haha I was thinking about how Rick in the walking dead constantly is shooting inside and somehow it never bothers him

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I was outside shooting the other day a bit without ear pro in, didn't bother me. I've been fine on a few other occasions doing that as well. That said, I definitely don't make it a habit, nor would I want to try it indoors.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
we shot a Sig Sauer rifle last year short lil guy, was ****ing loud, my right ear still doesn't feel right i do think i damaged it. i didn't expect it to be that damn loud.

oldmodman

Established Member
I went to an outdoor range yesterday to shoot a few rounds through my pistol and bent over to to smack a bug off my leg while reloading and my ear bud fell out of my ear while the guy in the lane next to me was shooting his revolver. Ever since about 4pm yesterday my left ear has been ringing and very sensitive to noise. I am hoping it will go away in a day or so but I'm just curious if anyone has had this happen and how long it took for the ringing to go away.

And that is why I now wear both shooters phones and in the ear custom made ear plugs.
When I was shooting at a range 38 years ago I knocked off one ear of my shooters phones just as the next lane fired. It was a high power hunting rifle and the tinnitus has been constant in that ear ever since. Ever since I always wear both types of protectors. And I have been to several audiologists. My range of hearing is still pretty good for a sixty year old but there is a dip right where I "hear" the ringing.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
My ears were messed up bad for 3 days after I went to a club on New Years. I have no clue why they need to play music that loud. Maybe they do it for the E-tards to rub up on the speakers?.?.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
I'm just hoping my left ear stops this damn ringing and all I take away from it is the importance of ear protection.

SHOdown220

Established Member
My first time shooting a .50 bmg rifle I was so excited for my turn I forgot I had my ear plugs around my neck. I remembered what I forgot right after I pulled the trigger... Rang for about a day iirc

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
How do you guys like the ear pro? Worth the money? Also how well do they work? How well can you hear?

xl2ockl3ottomx

Established Member

I was just thinking about that scene.

Never shot a gun before but I built a potato gun when we were younger. I shot that thing one day and my ears rang for 2-3 days, haven't fired it off personally since then.

Now a days prolonged loud noise gives me a splitting headaches.

Last edited:

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
I made the mistake of shooting my brothers 9mm w/o hearing protection 2 years ago.. I thought it would go away but it never did.. Actually, my ears are ringing right now.. I suspect I will have it for the rest of my life.. Most of the day I don't even notice it but it never goes away.. When I think about it it gets louder but I can live with it.. Just sucks that it only took about 12 rounds w/o hearing protection to cause it for the rest of my life..

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Last summer when I was doing some live-fire exercises at the range with my AR (it has a ST Dynacomp Extreme compensator - VERY loud, especially where I was under a roof at MSSA) and my crappy ear plug on the right side fell out right when I was dumping rounds out. I got three rounds out in a split second before I stopped. I heard nothing but ringing in my right ear for the next few days. All is well now but I was worried for a second there!

Users who are viewing this thread