How do I beat a Ariel Atom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Could you define simple mods?

There is a guy here local that everyone knows. He has an ariel atom 2. Supercharged with 300 hp. It has a pulley, tune, exhaust, more agressive gearing and driver mod. He is trapping 128 mph at MY altitude (we are talking 7000 DA). Thats easily high 130s at sea level.

Deuuuce

Established Member
There is a guy here local that everyone knows. He has an ariel atom 2. Supercharged with 300 hp. It has a pulley, tune, exhaust, more agressive gearing and driver mod. He is trapping 128 mph at MY altitude (we are talking 7000 DA). Thats easily high 130s at sea level.

A pulley and gears is rather significant. Interestingly the quickest in dragtimes is 134mph. I doubt he's losing 80+ hp at your altitude because it's supercharged. But I see your point.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
uh huh, sure.

Funny how some of you are falling all over yourselves about a car that traps in the mid 120s for the SC version.

A '10+ GT500 with a pulley swap and supporting mods should walk one in the established 60-130mph run which is becoming quite popular.

As mentioned- there are several SC's with a pulley swap + tune that are trapping WAY higher than 120s's (I know shocking that they can actually mod just like we can:rollseyes)

Can a GT500 beat a Gallardo or something like that STOCK? - no it can't. So the VIDEO of the Atom beating cars like that AND and liter bike weren't convincing? The fact that a poorly driven SC version ran a low 11 wasn't convincing? Or a properly driven unmodded one runs low 10's? Just curious- what WOULD convince you? Anything? Why don't you just say you hate the car instead of making up bs like a lightly modded GT500 can beat it- THAT would at least make a lot more sense.

DenniSTi

Established Member
Modern liter bikes puts bus lengths on the Ariel Atom v8 in a straight line. It only can make up for it in the corners and on brakes.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
A pulley and gears is rather significant. Interestingly the quickest in dragtimes is 134mph. I doubt he's losing 80+ hp at your altitude because it's supercharged. But I see your point.

Id estimate at minimum 40 rwhp and at most 60 rwhp is what he is losing.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Modern liter bikes puts bus lengths on the Ariel Atom v8 in a straight line. It only can make up for it in the corners and on brakes.

I disagree...........the bike isnt putting bus lengths on the atom in the straights. In fact, the atom is actually coming around the bike.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_8m8i6JqOg"]YouTube - Top Gear - 16x01 - Ariel Atom V8 vs BMW S1000RR[/nomedia]

Last edited:

DenniSTi

Established Member
I disagree...........the bike isnt putting bus lengths on the atom in the straights. In fact, the atom is actually coming around the bike.

YouTube - Top Gear - 16x01 - Ariel Atom V8 vs BMW S1000RR

Did you even watch the video? First of all that's a rather short, technical course with a lot of braking points as opposed to one with sweeping corners and longer straights. Even still on the small straight sections you can see he's pulling away hard by at least 2-3 cars lengths. The only time he gets passed is on the end of the straights because the bike has to brake earlier while more upright and the Ariel Atom can pass.

Deuuuce

Established Member
As mentioned- there are several SC's with a pulley swap + tune that are trapping WAY higher than 120s's (I know shocking that they can actually mod just like we can:rollseyes)

Can a GT500 beat a Gallardo or something like that STOCK? - no it can't. So the VIDEO of the Atom beating cars like that AND and liter bike weren't convincing? The fact that a poorly driven SC version ran a low 11 wasn't convincing? Or a properly driven unmodded one runs low 10's? Just curious- what WOULD convince you? Anything? Why don't you just say you hate the car instead of making up bs like a lightly modded GT500 can beat it- THAT would at least make a lot more sense.

I'm not sure what your point is but here are the facts:

The Atom 3 is quick in a straight line but there are enough production cars that have beat it in numerous documented lap recordings. It's strength is the first 1/8th and don't forget a properly driven C6Z runs essentially identical ETs and trap speeds.

Sortable Times: Complete Lightning Lap Times 2006 to 2011 - Feature - Car and Driver

Ariel Atom 3 (300 hp) lap times and specs - FastestLaps.com

Ariel Atom lap times and specs - FastestLaps.com

Traction management, brake bias and aerodynamics are all issues. The car is so light, it makes these things even harder to manage.

04gtstang

Established Member
How did this thread go from racing a 300HP atom in a GT500, to bench racing liter bikes vs the 500HP atom???
300HP atom will get you if you go from a 40, but it shouldnt be murder. Get it on vid!

rskdsk

Established Member
OK guys .... for the heck of it we race from a start and from a 30mph roll ... to make a long story short ... I got RAPPED! I felt like I was driving a ugo and he was in a rocket ship. He had a camera, but it is pointing forward and I never even saw the taillights I was so far behind ... when I get a copy, I'll post it

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Man there are lots of Atom nuthuggers in here.. I mean it's a cool car that is pretty damn fast, but they are road course monsters, not 1/4 mile or roll racing monsters..

Sheesh...
Modded GT500s, or Cobras shouldn't be so scared. IF you can hang with a C6Z you can hang with an Atom..

The OPs car isn't going to come close to hanging with a C6Z, so the Atom putting bus lengths on you makes sense..

Last edited:

whiplash306

Established Member
Man there are lots of Atom nuthuggers in here.. I mean it's a cool car that is pretty damn fast, but they are road course monsters, not 1/4 mile or roll racing monsters..

Sheesh...
Modded GT500s, or Cobras shouldn't be so scared. IF you can hang with a C6Z you can hang with an Atom..

The OPs car isn't going to come close to hanging with a C6Z, so the Atom putting bus lengths on you makes sense..

Ever been in an Atom? I can almost guarantee you've never experienced such an all encompassing thrill as what the Atom can offer! There's a reason why Jeremy Clarkson, much as I can't STAND the guy, said that it's something to the effect of it being one of the BEST cars he's EVER driven ("Driving Nirvana", along with a host of other compliments, I believe).....and I venture to say that he's driven more AMAZING cars than ANYONE on this site...!

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
OK guys .... for the heck of it we race from a start and from a 30mph roll ... to make a long story short ... I got RAPPED! I felt like I was driving a ugo and he was in a rocket ship. He had a camera, but it is pointing forward and I never even saw the taillights I was so far behind ... when I get a copy, I'll post it

lol :pop:

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned

Sheesh...

ture but a c6z is no joke either

devin1986

Boosted Grandma-Mobile
Established Member
Atoms are beasts, but with their aero and gearing... not so great top end. I don't understand how this is even an argument.

OP is a good sport for actually doing the race. 300whp in a car that light is no joke. :beer:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Atoms are beasts, but with their aero and gearing... not so great top end. I don't understand how this is even an argument.

OP is a good sport for actually doing the race. 300whp in a car that light is no joke. :beer:

+1.. I would have just handed the guy money for gas and told him to save .... .who the hell am I kidding..I would have raced him and lost with a smile on my face. :beer::rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread