How do I pull a tune off of a X4?

HPLouis

Established Member
Hi,
I just bought a 2004 Cobra (I sold my old convertible and bought a coupe). The new (to me) car has a tune on it already. Thankfully, the prior owner gave me the X4 to go along with it. I can ready the X4 on my computer but I can't get the file off of it.

How can I do it? The X4 only has one file on it and it's called 'custom tune'. How can I pull it off the X4 so I can read it with my Pro Racer Package?

Thanks,
Henry

cj428mach

Established Member
You can't...welcome to the joys of SCT.

You can buy a quarterhorse or a Mongoose cable and either use Tunerpro software or Buy Binary Editor software to pull the tune off the ECM.

HPLouis

Established Member
Damn. If I do that, will I be able to get the tune into the Pro Racer software?

I guess another option will be to call JDM in the morning, they're the ones who tuned the car, and see if they'll either give me or sell me the file.

Thanks,
Henry

96gt02

Established Member
I second that it's not possible! also even if you could pull it off the device somehow most tuners lock them anyway so no one (not even them) can get in.

cj428mach

Established Member
Damn. If I do that, will I be able to get the tune into the Pro Racer software?

I guess another option will be to call JDM in the morning, they're the ones who tuned the car, and see if they'll either give me or sell me the file.

Thanks,
Henry

You'd manually have to sit there and go through each software and make every change manually. I've done it for a friend that had a tune on a chip and it took several hours. I used Binary Editor and my Jaybird chip reader to read his tune off his chip, I then manually entered every value into SCT PRP for him so he'd have it to self tune with.

If I was you I'd just sell PRP and buy Binary Editor with a mongoose cable. You can read out your existing tune then edit and reflash it. You can also choose to add a quarterhorse chip that'll let you tune on the fly while the car is running. Its great stuff.

Willie

Established Member
Henry,
JDM should be willing to sell you the file. I did business with them about 3 years ago and they sold me an .mtf format. Just tell them you are a Pro Racer and ask for .mtf format, not .cef. Once you get this, you are in business!

decipha

Established Member
cj428mach is correct, u have to go one by one and its a tedious process can take hours sometimes. Ive done it numerous times though and have even developed a half way automated process to do it. I compare the tune to a stock tune and group items together by category like sct does. The hardest part is finding the different names since most software has slightly different titles for the same parameter. I can usually do it these days in 15-20 minutes if the tuner didnt go changing random useless background crap.

LMK if u need help still

ranskuy

Established Member
cj428mach is correct, u have to go one by one and its a tedious process can take hours sometimes. Ive done it numerous times though and have even developed a half way automated process to do it. I compare the tune to a stock tune and group items together by category like sct does. The hardest part is finding the different names since most software has slightly different titles for the same parameter. I can usually do it these days in 15-20 minutes if the tuner didnt go changing random useless background crap.

LMK if u need help still

@decipha, can you help me with my current tune?

Users who are viewing this thread