How do you burp your coolant?

Ryan.K.

VOLENS ET POTENS
Established Member
I put a LFP radiator and coolant expansion tank on today. After I installed everything I unscrewed the coolant plug on the cross over pipe and filled until the coolant tank was close to full and put the cap onl. Then I started the car and let it idle for about 20-25 minutes I guess burping the system, but I am not exactly sure what I should look for. The coolant would overflow out of the cross over tube and just kept doing that the whole time, does that mean it's burped? I never saw some huge air bubble or anything.
Any help would be great, I just want to make sure it's right.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
You still have air in the system. Follow the instructions below.

Ford Thermostat Bleeding Procedure.

1.) Check all hose clamps for correct tightness. Make sure the radiator drain-**** is closed.
2.) Remove the coolant bottle cap and fill the degas bottle to the add coolant line.
Install the cap.
CAUTION: Do not fill the cooling system through the reservoir only (coolant will not enter the engine), only the reservoir and the radiator will be filled and engine overheating will occur.
Remove the fill plug in the crossover tube on top of the engine.
3.) Using a funnel, add coolant to the crossover port, keeping the level of coolant in the funnel at 1/4 full.
4.) Squeeze the 2 large upper cooling system hoses 5 times. Bubbles may appear in the funnel as air exits the system.
5.) Start the engine and run for 5 minutes while monitoring the coolant in the funnel.
A sudden drop in the funnel level indicates the elimination of air in the system.
6.) Shut off the engine and let it cool for 10 minutes.
7.) Crack open the degas bottle cap enough to allow the coolant level in the funnel to drop to within 1 inch of the bottom of the funnel.
Tighten the cap.
8.) Remove the funnel and install the fill plug in the crossover tube.
9.) Add coolant in the degas bottle to the full coolant line.

Repeat the fill procedure if necessary.

Ryan.K.

VOLENS ET POTENS
Established Member
Thanks. I am pretty sure I am good, just wanted to make sure. I have been searching a while on google for some good directions and didn't find any.

BOOSTER03

Established Member
Let me tell you, if it is not done exactly right......I just went through the same deal. Just carry a gallon of water with you in case it decides to do it again.

Ryan.K.

VOLENS ET POTENS
Established Member
It's good, drove it around for about an hour and then let it idle with the fan on high and nothing happened. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread