How do you get air out of intercooler/pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvercoffin

Established Member
I believe I cavitated the pump..lol I put ice in and ran the pump...too much air got in system and now with the intercooler tank filled i hear the pump but there is no pumping going on. I;m guessing I got too much air in the system or in the pump itself.

How else can you get air out of the system?

fjules

Established Member
blow into the top port of the reseviour until fluid comes out of the top port hose.

silvercoffin

Established Member
uhhh

Thanks but just want to make sure I understand

Blow into the top port? So I'll be blowing against the flow?

Last edited:

GetBitBiatch

Is that your gf's car?
Established Member
you can take the small hose off the back of the resevoir and pour fluid directly into that one and it will help get rid of the air pockets.

silvercoffin

Established Member
uhh

uhhh ok those are two totally different recommendations.. The second makes more sense because Ill be pushing fluid in the correct direction. I dont think pouring fluid into the tube is going to do anything if preasure from running the pump itself is not getting the air through.

I dont underatand how this happened. Ive done this many times before and the pump has always pushed the air back through.

Im hoping when I get to my car today after sitting all night it will have fixed itself somehow..

has anyone had this happen before?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Well......I've been full circle on this one and was fortunate that the first 7-8 times that I was messing with this system, the pump cavitated coolant right away. Haven't been so lucky lately.

The only solution that has consistenly worked for me requires using the pump relay mod to get the pump going with the car off. Remove the upper reservoir hose where it clamps to the reservoir. Then you just suck on the hose in an attempt to "pull" the coolant through the pump to get it cavitating again. Be careful with getting antifreeze in your mouth........Nasty business but it's worked the last 3 times I've run into a problem.

silvercoffin

Established Member
LOl

LOL yeah isnt antifreeze REALLY TOXIC!?!?!? LOL

I am going to try the turkey baster that I use for doing brakes first and maybe sticking the syphon pump I have down the tube and pumping that...

but i guess ill suck on it if all else fails LOL...im really pissed cause I only have time to today to get to where I keep my car switch cars and get back to my night work.. Need to drive the stang tonight to get a good 500 city miles on the new clutch.

Thanks....i was hoping there was a more sophisticated way of doing this, but guess not lol

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
When I overdrained my IC reservoir and cavitated my pump - I just went out and drove up / down a steep hill in my neighborhood - after I got to the bottom of the hill I checked it and it was flowing great.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Will I mess the pump, blower or engine up if I keep driving it as is?

I just want to break in the clutch more and dont have to mess with it too much until later tonight. I'm going to disconnect the top hose and suck on it with something though...

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
You'll burn up the pump if you drive it too much, not sure how long it takes to overheat it - probably not too long.

fjules

Established Member
By blowing into the top port of the reserviour you are blowing into ther return port which is with the flow. The fluid will come out the top port hose that you removed. Do this with the car off and do not blow all the fluid out of the res. or you will be right back to where u are now.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
By blowing into the top port of the reserviour you are blowing into ther return port which is with the flow.
That sounds like a better way to not get a mouthful of anti-freeze!

Once you get the pump running again don't forget to bleed any additional air out at the H/E. I had a bunch of air trapped in mine and didn't know it.

silvercoffin

Established Member

oh man im an idiot LOL NOW I GET IT LOL

. That would have definetely worked better....

I got it working by blowing and sucking on the top hose...almost got a mouthful...actually sucking on it with a pump didnt work...i blew into the top hose wrong direction and it started working

IS THERE A VALVE ON THE HEAT EXCHANGER? I would think all air would come out just from running the pump.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread