How do you get the cigarette ligher socket apart?

dumbstixlars

Established Member
My car is missing it's lighter socket (part# xc3z-15055-aa) I bought a new one, and all the pieces to mount it. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get it apart so I can mount it. I don't want to force it and break it, but it isn't obvious to me how it comes apart. Can anyone help?

olympic

Established Member
I have my console apart at the moment and looked at my factory lighter and it appears to just push/snap into the the hole in the plastic. There are 2 small barbs that hold the lighter in the hole once it's pushed into place.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I have my console apart at the moment and looked at my factory lighter and it appears to just push/snap into the the hole in the plastic. There are 2 small barbs that hold the lighter in the hole once it's pushed into place.
I installed one last summer, and best I recall, this^^^ is correct.

olympic

Established Member
From the review section of that product page:

How to get off black trim ring

Everyone says how hard it it to get that black plastic ring off the old one cause the replacement doesn't come with one. But no one said how to do it. If you look inside you will see two holes. Get a small screwdriver and just push in those holes inside out while pullling down the plastic ring. Do one side at a time and bang...it comes right off.

Hope this helps!

dumbstixlars

Established Member
This is making me feel really dumb, what holes could he be possibly talking about?

2zzq6iv.jpg

imo102.jpg

2crn977.jpg

30x9cgj.jpg

280t9j9.jpg

2e3on51.jpg

I can't see anywhere to take it apart.

olympic

Established Member
That part does not come apart. The black plastic trim ring slips over it from the bottom and snaps into place. Then the assembly pushes into the hole in your console and snaps into place. If the trim ring does not fit then it is likely you have the wrong one.

Users who are viewing this thread