How do you store your expensive kitchen knives?

roadracer247

Established Member
We’re investing into some better quality kitchen knives. Building the collection one or two at a time. Keeping our older cheapies around till they’re no longer needed.

How would you guys ideally store a nice kitchen knife? For size reference, my first buy will be a Shun classic 8” chef's knife. Ideally above the countertop to keep it out of reach from our toddler...

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I just leave it on the counter in the kitchen. If I wanted to keep it out of reach of a toddler I'd put a magnet strip somewhere convenient.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
I have a zip up knife case with seperate places for about fifteen knives, my everyday knives are in wood blocks on the counter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

buffalosoldier

Established Member
something like this, handy if you need to take your knives somewhere and easy to store.
2fe8b817366af4635ff9747769169dad.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Blown 89

Established Member
I have mine in a wooden butcher block inserted upside down so the spine is the only part of the knife contacting wood therefore keeping the edge sharp.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
My wife keeps hers in individual padded cloth holders that she made. If she was as anal about other things as she is about her knives, I would be one happy boy.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I use a magnet strip next to my range top for my nice knives, the cheapies I keep in a butcher block that stores completely vertical. This has worked out for me for several years now and its gonna be a while before our daughter can reach that high.

CV355

_
Established Member
Oh man, you will LOVE the Shun. We keep ours in a wood block, nothing fancy.

The trick is all in the cleaning and maintenance. Hand wash only, dry immediately after with a chamois-style cloth. Watch videos on proper honing techniques- no need to sharpen the thing constantly. A few swipes on the honing rod and the Shun can slice tomato paper thin. They recommend that you send the knife back to Shun every year for professional resharpening, but we haven't needed to for a while. I ran it through a stone sharpening tool once in the last year.

Other don'ts: Don't toss the poor thing in the sink, or in a mug, or against glass/granite. The Shun knives have such a sharp blade edge angle that you can fold it over easily.

MFE

Established Member
I use the aforementioned butcher block wooden knife holder, but I store the knives upside down, so the edges aren't running on the wood every time the knives are removed and replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread