How far have you traveled for a car?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys,

Possibly found a fox notchback. It's out east, roughly 19 hours one way. My buddy said we could road trip, he has a enclosed trailer. Or I've thought about flying out and driving it back. Never been out east.

The furthest I've gone has been about 12 hours. I flew out to Denver and drove my old 92 notch back to Minnesota.

Curious to hear others experiences.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jdcobra

Established Member
Hey guys,

Possibly found a fox notchback. It's out east, roughly 19 hours one way. My buddy said we could road trip, he has a enclosed trailer. Or I've thought about flying out and driving it back. Never been out east.

The furthest I've gone has been about 12 hours. I flew out to Denver and drove my old 92 notch back to Minnesota.

Curious to hear others experiences.

I’ve personally never done it. Just depends on if you care about possible road debris on your way back, reliability, the act of actually driving that long, etc. Vs just putting it in an enclosed trailer and having a buddy for company.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
not very. I went ~4 hours to pick up my Mach when I got it back in 03. Only went about 1.5 hours south to get my used Lightning. Everything else was local so far.

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
I’ve personally never done it. Just depends on if you care about possible road debris on your way back, reliability, the act of actually driving that long, etc. Vs just putting it in an enclosed trailer and having a buddy for company.
I traveled over 600 miles for both of my last two rides. Because the only cars I could find like I wanted were out of state. I kinda enjoyed it both times actually.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I traveled over 600 miles for both of my last two rides. Because the only cars I could find like I wanted were out of state. I kinda enjoyed it both times actually.
This is what I'm dealing with. I'm not finding anything within a 5 state radius of Minnesota.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Flew from Houston to Alabama back in 2014 to get my '08 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD. The diesels were really hard to find, only about 10 for sale in the whole country.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Buy round trip ticket in case it doesn’t check out. Drive home.

Furthest for me was Minneapolis to MS for a 25 year old diesel. It made it with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

JZNYCRealEstate

Established Member
My red ‘02 2V (still one of my favorite cars I’ve ever owned) was located in Seattle, Washington when I was living in Colorado. Bought it totally sight unseen and drove it home because it was that sweet of a deal. That was a 19 hour drive split up between two 8 hour days. Sold it two years later for a profit.

BUT. My new car I just bought last week tops them all.

I live in NYC now - just picked up a 2011 Shelby GT500 last week out of Los Angeles. Car is being shipped as we speak from LA to NYC. Also a totally sight unseen purchase. I’ll tell you how it all goes once the car gets here Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Furthest for my own vehicle is peobably 20 minutes.

Located my brothers ‘98 Cobra on here and made the 6 hour trip each way on a Saturday with him and my dad.

Had a guy back out of a sale the morning I was going to pick up a Marauder 7-8 hours away... might have lost my mind if that had happened upon arrival.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Had a civic get totaled, and I decided to treat myself and buy what I wanted, a Fiesta ST. Small, super fun to drive, and enough power to be able to merge...unlike the civic. It's 2019, so via FB, etc one can easily find what an average/fair price is, especially since these cars don't have many options. Base with recaros, average "good" price online was about 22-23. Locally, $24,7XX was the best they could do. I tried 2-3 dealership and the same BS, "that's the best we can do, you won't find better." BS asshole, I love proving people wrong. I searching online, on Ford's website, all up the east coast in "airport" cities, Atlanta, Charlotte, Boston, DC, Baltimore, Philly, etc. I emailed like 7 dealership saying "lot #XXXXX, I'm looking to buy that exact spec car this week, what's your OTD price on it." Of the 7, like 4 never responded, 2 gave me a "call us for info" BS response and one replied with "Here's the details of said car, call me if you are interested in purchasing it." It included a full write up of the price, fees, taxes, etc, $23,000 OTD. I called him and asked if he could pick me up at the airport tomorrow morning. "Of course!" I bought a $140 one way ticket to DC, signed some forms, and then had a 12 hours/850 mile drive home. Best part, my local dealer called me while I was in DC, signing the paperwork. I told them the truth, "You told me I wouldn't find better than 24.7K, but I'm sitting in DC, signing paperwork right now at 23, sorry, your loss."

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
VA to Chicago open trailer for my Mach.

VA to Arkansas open trailer for the Cobra.

I like hauling with open trailers. It is easier to load and haul .

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I would trailer it, it’s now at least a 26 year old car. Something is bound to go wrong on that long of a drive, and good luck finding a shop or dealership on the way home that would be able to get parts and you trust to fix it.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Fly out check it out then have it shipped back. If not fly out and buy some tape an cover the front end from road debris and drive it.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I've flown solo to and driven back a couple of cars (2 terminators, 1 MS6) with one way trips over 1,400/1,100/1,200 miles. Talk about a long couple of days. I would fly in and drive straight through only stopping for gas and food....my key to staying awake was eating whole sunflower seeds, it keeps your brain active.

fCcGJUPh9a6ZutY48-wAPXNpu6mrblH5kDMu_fjaoviGHYAzG3HLYhYL736foBOcVwDGBrEDenUA?scale=1&h=200&w=630.png

FlzXxPIWVMR4UYrDoi9tmLfU-yrHyy4ypWdRpMFc8ht5O19oeGfo4zEVmw-0WJiHHGEJMPPjg5DI?scale=1&h=200&w=630.png

VwYB6X0NzsAc4DOyc3TGDJExi0qStdhzTVtT7HqkkT12DgPHwdXsLv5SI4Tou5_CjqUPL4pFvgGc?scale=1&h=200&w=630.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread