How happy are you with your job?

99S_V_T

Established Member
Ill start things off and state that i absolutely hate what i do. I work in insurance as an adjuster for one of the largest insurance companies in the US and the work is incredibly redundant. Sometimes i get good people and its fun to help people out at an otherwise crappy time but the vast majority of my calls are just ridiculous people being ridiculous and ill leave it at that.

I'm good at what i do and its provided some resume building opportunities. The job has also given me some great insight into insurance which will no doubt help me in the future, but i would definitely move on to something else if i could find something with similar hours that lets me finish school at my current pace (graduate in december of 14 after i took some time off). Given that i have been unable to do so it looks like im stuck for another year.

Point of the post is how many of you were able to get a job that you enjoy doing? and how many of you loathe sunday nights knowing you have another 5 days of crap ahead of you?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I'm a security analyst for Big Oil. Coolest job I've ever had. I don't want to spend all my time there but I look forward to each day.

Last edited:

99S_V_T

Established Member
I'm a security analyst for Big Oil. Coolest job I've ever had. I don't want to spend all my time there but I look forward to each day there.

How did you get there. Is that what you have wanted to do or just found it and it's something you really enjoy? Again i'm in school and i kinda view this time in life as paying my dues i guess.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I work on cars and I really love it. I can't think of anything else I'd rather do, but the pay is not very good and has me searching for something else unfortunately. I don't have any college credit, so that is where I'll start with the required classes and hopefully I'll come across something I like. I've looked into and read about metallurgy and it is very interesting to me, but it's just an idea at this point. Until then I'll just keep plugging away with these cars.

99S_V_T

Established Member
I work on cars and I really love it. I can't think of anything else I'd rather do, but the pay is not very good and has me searching for something else unfortunately. I don't have any college credit, so that is where I'll start with the required classes and hopefully I'll come across something I like. I've looked into and read about metallurgy and it is very interesting to me, but it's just an idea at this point. Until then I'll just keep plugging away with these cars.

That's another factor for me being unhappy with what i do. The pay is shit. I've played around with opening a shop as there is a demand in my area and no one has addressed it so far, but i'm not ready to take on that big of a risk at this point in my life. Maybe someday though, gotta get that degree first. :read:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
How did you get there. Is that what you have wanted to do or just found it and it's something you really enjoy? Again i'm in school and i kinda view this time in life as paying my dues i guess.

I worked my butt off doing oilfield work while in college to get here. It isn't what I wanted (at the time) but I found it relates to my time in the Marines where I had to be able to take charge. It's a good feeling since I'm naturally alpha. I suggest going to every job fair your school offers.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
My job sucks but for 1 of us good mechanics there are 10 retarded ones so it makes me look good plus it's a guaranteed pay check. Sometimes I want to go AWOL and sometimes I think it's the best job ever. Iv had more good than bad so it is worth it. Seen some crazy stuff too. Redundant sucks but it beats being lets say a Wall Street person who one day is good and the next day jumping off a building... When you hate your job think of this. It's better than... Wait **** that. If you truly hate it move on to something you like.

99S_V_T

Established Member
I worked my butt off doing oilfield work while in college to get here. It isn't what I wanted (at the time) but I found it relates to my time in the Marines where I had to be able to take charge. It's a good feeling since I'm naturally alpha. I suggest going to every job fair your school offers.

I've put myself through school since I started (dad "got invited not to come back to college" and mom never went) so they said I'd try harder and appreciate it more if I paid for it myself which is true, and I appreciate them making me find my own way. It's been a slower road than a lot of people I know and I've been broke since I moved out, but to date i have zero student loan debt and I have great grades... Only downside is I can't do what I want without my degree so in the mean time i have worked 3 years in retail and 2 in insurance... Not at all what I pictured myself doing.

Last edited:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Military psych tech. To me, its an easy job and I'm good at it. BUT it really desensitizes you in terms of feeling. I've literally heard every sad, ****ed up story and now nothing can really get a reaction outta me. You can tell me that you were raped by your goldfish while deployed in Ireland in front of all your co-workers who were high on LSD they bought with your savings and I wouldn't bat an eye.

99S_V_T

Established Member
Military psych tech. To me, its an easy job and I'm good at it. BUT it really desensitizes you in terms of feeling. I've literally heard every sad, ****ed up story and now nothing can really get a reaction outta me. You can tell me that you were raped by your goldfish while deployed in Ireland in front of all your co-workers who were high on LSD they bought with your savings and I wouldn't bat an eye.
Not going to lie. I literally LOL'd @ goldfish rape

I want to complain, I really do, but I would get no pity so I'll just keep quiet.
Not even a pitty thing, there's a pretty diverse group of people on here and I wanted to see how SVTP felt about how their earn their mod money. I guess if the end justifies the means it's worth it.

Jbstang87

Established Member
Ah. The working world. Most truly would rather be doing something else, but we do what it takes to keep on keeping on. That said, I work with taking care of the elderly. Its ok, I can probably see myself doing something else but I dont hate it. So I guess thats enough for me to be happy.

99S_V_T

Established Member
Ah. The working world. Most truly would rather be doing something else, but we do what it takes to keep on keeping on. That said, I work with taking care of the elderly. Its ok, I can probably see myself doing something else but I dont hate it. So I guess thats enough for me to be happy.
If you don't hate it and you make enough to have money left over I envy you sir.

Until you are burning shit in a barrel you haven't worked. Yup tax payers there for about 3 hrs y'all paid me to burn shit. Suckers.
Some days insurance feels like I'm burning shit in a barrel, except the shit is money and the barrel is people who look at fender benders like they hit the lottery.. without the smell of course. I'm sure burning shit in a barrel is far more productive use of tax dollars than some other things we pay for.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I love my job (controlroom operator for large chemical company). The pay is good and working 12 hour shifts I only work 6 months out of the year.

Para81

Established Member
I work on average 7-9 months out of the year and generally enjoy it. Free food, free board, free gym use, 25,000 dolllar a month paycheck.

Downside - no women/family, potentially dangerous. Poor air quality. Extreme temperatures.

College dropout living the dream.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I have been at my job for 32 years and could have retired 7 years ago. Thankfully, I like what I do.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I really like my job and my employer. Been here 7 years and 10 months. The work is good, the people are interesting, the salary is good (for State workers) and the benefits are unmatched.

Free health and dental care
Pension - retire at 55 with 80% salary
4 day work week
Flexible hours - pick my own hours and come and go as I please
19 paid holidays
30 days PTO and sick leave with unlimited carry over - currently 22 weeks saved up
Covered and gated parking
Comp time - work 1 hour overtime get to bank 1 hour for later.

It would be a hard sell to get me out of working here.

Users who are viewing this thread