How hard would a diy head gasket change be?

follervidez

Established Member
OK guys I got either got a blown head gasket. ...but I'm pretty sure it's a warped head . either way the whole thing had to come apart. I contacted a few shops and it's easily $1500-1800. Would this be something for a diy. I mean I can take it all apart. ..but then to put it back together I have to worry about timing chains and the timing.what do u guys think any recommendations?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Recon

Established Member
Unless you have all the necessary tools to complete the job get shop to do it. I'd also recommend taking the heads to a machine shop. It's mandatory when our shop does blown head gaskets.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
It's very labor intensive, that's for sure. And doing it in chassis is a challenge, especially on the driver's side. Nothing a moderately experienced mechanic can't do though. Timing isn't that bad; you just follow the factory dot to dot alignment, and/or mark it with paint. Specialty cam tools aren't necessary but do make it easier.

You'll need new head bolts since they're TTY. You can cut some heater hose and slit the sides to hold the bolts from sticking out past the deck while you're putting the head back on.

You absolutely want the head taken to a machine shop and milled flat if necessary.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I was a 1st timer doing mine,

I did both way's in car and out..

I found it to extremely simple..

I think a head issue is more common than gasket to go bad..

what I liked is head is completely together and just needs to be bolted..

timing chain was just connect the dots.

NOTE..when reading manual,drivers side is left side,,

I also found I was able to pull head with long tube header still attached when doing over fender,which was a large plus.

another note, when I had pulled engine to do heads,I found the oil pump screen almost 50% blocked from debris,

silicone and timing chain plastic guide chips..it was also in tube at oil cooler..

I was the second person in motor,ford had done the 1st head under warranty..

ford had done it over fender..took him 3 days

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you have ANY concerns about doing this right, from start to finish.....have a good shop do it!

Users who are viewing this thread