How long before you modded (engine/tune) your new car?

IA Shelby

Established Member
Just curious how long you waited to have your new car tuned? My car is just over a year old so I would putting my remaining warranty at risk.

I would like to do some bolt on’s, have it tuned and add a flex fuel set up to run E85. It would be done at the premier shop in the country.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Do it. My '17 had 200 miles on it when I did the CJ, exhaust and tune setup. 5K miles when I sprayed it with a 150 shot.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I still haven't because the car has some issues I want resolved under warranty and I want nothing that'll give em a reason to void said warranty.

All I have on my car is a catch can, jacking rails and vertical links.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I still haven't because the car has some issues I want resolved under warranty and I want nothing that'll give em a reason to void said warranty.

All I have on my car is a catch can, jacking rails and vertical links.

What kind of issues are you having?

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
My '04 Cobra had 700 miles when I did pulley, tune, throttle body, intake, tune, and full exhaust. Ran like a champ for the 8 years I had it.

Tunes these days are pretty safe. If you even have the slightest issue, reflash it to stock.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
What kind of issues are you having?

Driveline vibration between 50-70. Dealer I bought it from spent 2 years blaming tires, even after putting new PS4S' on it.

Dealer I'm going to now is willing to contact Ford hotline over the issue instead of blame tires, I just need to make an appointment.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m not baller enough financially to kill my warranty on new vehicles.

I waited till the warranty and payments ended on my GT500 before I had a tune/intake/exhaust work done.

Some guys take their cars to a shop with the sticker in the window. All depends on your budget and bravery (ie: balls)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A safe and proper tune that's transmission friendly (auto) shouldn't be an issue, except with the most anal dealerships. You can reflash back to stock, but a dealer can know it was reflashed. When I had my '03 Cobra, I went the tune route after just over a month. I was SO glad I did. The car drove so much better. Went from 370/350 to 440/460. I'm glad I didn't miss out on the enhanced fun. I can, though, totally understand when someone resists that route due to potential warranty issues.

GodStang

Established Member
Just really depends on your local dealer. Some dealers are happy to have the work and others will deny anything. This will take somethings into account. My 03 was a year or two old and 15K miles when I went Stroker motor and a kenne bell.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Leveled my truck with Raptor takes offs pretty much within 1500 miles.

My 2016 GT I had full MBRP exhaust on it within 400 miles.

Mechanically though, I've continued to leave my cars alone until after I'm sure the motors are sound. My 18' 5.0 F150 is not one of them, so I'm glad no tune was done.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Driveline vibration between 50-70. Dealer I bought it from spent 2 years blaming tires, even after putting new PS4S' on it.

Dealer I'm going to now is willing to contact Ford hotline over the issue instead of blame tires, I just need to make an appointment.

What do you suspect it is?

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I usually prefer to wait till I hit ~30k miles. Hopefully by then if anything were to happen like a manufacturer defect it would of happened by that mileage.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My 14 GT500 was dropped off @ the tuner with less than 700 miles on it, never gave it a 2nd thought.................Mods started with a 3.4 Whipple.
Guess that was ( 5 ) years ago, how time flies !!

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
My GT500 had about 2500 miles on it when I installed my Whipple.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Bought a new Rubicon from the dealer, drove it 14 miles to home and gutted the suspension. I had 8k in parts waiting.

Picked up my '09 GT500 new, drove it home and parked it for the winter (20 mins from Buffalo) and added a ProCal tune and cold air upgrade while it sat. I spent more time modding than driving it and enjoyed every minute of it.

The GT350 I bought didn't get anything on day 1 but I continually upgraded it and sold it with low miles. Great car.

Waiting to order a 2020 GT500 any day now and have plans to do the same. Life is short, no reason to hold back when you have the opportunity.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I wont tune my daily driver. It also has a 10yr/100k warranty from GM and they can deal with the FUBARed diesel emissions bullshit when it does crap out.

My wife's Edge Sport we waited until she wrecked it before we did anything to it. I was going to wait until 3/36 but she did 20k worth of damage at 23k so that was the end of giving a shit about that car. It was repaired a few times and once on Ford's dime due to a leaking oil pan. Still love the truck though. Its been flawless(besides my wife).

My Fiesta has been tuned from almost day one. See my build thread. It was my DD for around 2 years until i bought my truck and then it went to autocross toy. It was worth it to tune it though. Car is a riot now and smile every time i drive it.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I started modding my 5.0 within a few days of owning it. I already had parts ordered that were at a shop waiting for my car to be delivered from Ford.

Every other Mustang was also pretty quick too, and spread out of the course of owning it, not just at once.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I’m not baller enough financially to kill my warranty on new vehicles.

I waited till the warranty and payments ended on my GT500 before I had a tune/intake/exhaust work done.

Some guys take their cars to a shop with the sticker in the window. All depends on your budget and bravery (ie: balls)

Thanks all for the feedback. Now i need to get something scheduled.

Users who are viewing this thread