How long do point stay on your liscense?

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
My mother got 4 points about 16 months ago and was wondering how long do the points stay on your license. If it matters the ticket was from NY on a PA licence.

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
Quick answer- 3 to 5 years depending on the state. Call the PA Dept of Mtr Veh...and ask them. Now- that is the period in which the points are used against your driving record. The violations will always be in the database...somewhere.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Quick answer- 3 to 5 years depending on the state. Call the PA Dept of Mtr Veh...and ask them. Now- that is the period in which the points are used against your driving record. The violations will always be in the database...somewhere.

Depending on the offense as well ... In Va, if I recall correctly they can stay on as long a 7-10 years for something like reckless.

EDIT: www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/pub472.pdf
Apparently PA drops 3 points for every 12 months of clean driving so in theory if you get one ticket a year they will stay on till you accumulate 6 and have to go in for a hearing.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
could someone tell me this info for massachusetts?

Go to your states homepage
navigate to their department of motor vehicles (DMV, DPS, whatever it is called there)
somewhere in that section is a list of infractions, their points, and usually their fines.

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
in N.Y. an 1120a a moving violation along with 1180 speeding ticket will stay on your license for 18 months. More than 11 points in that 18 months and you will lose it for 30-90 days.

NOXCUSES

Z0SICK
Established Member
How long it stays on your license, and how long it effects your insurance rates are also two different things. I dont think NYC talks to PA so it might not even be on her licenses

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
How long it stays on your license, and how long it effects your insurance rates are also two different things. I dont think NYC talks to PA so it might not even be on her licenses

Sorry, but both NY and PA are members of the Interstate Driver's License Compact. Therefore, they report to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread