How long do you let your cone filter dry?

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
Or do have any ideas for expaditing the process? It looks like rain so I want to go for a drive real quick. Thanks!

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
when i wash mine i usually let it sit overnight then oil it the next day. but i usually have my DD to go out if need be

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
I usually wait 2-3 hours, well this is after swinging it around for awhile to get out all the loose water. I was just hoping to go for a spin before it starts raining. I gave her a nice long (3 hour) bath today so I really wanted to take it out. Not gonna do it though if its raining.

I wonder if it would hurt it to throw the filter in the oven on 'warm' I know it doesnt get anywhere near HOT when its on warm... I cant see it hurting anything...

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
You dont really have to dry it at all. Even if you put a soaking wet one on it wont make any difference. It wont hurt the motor and the air passing through it will dry it in minutes.

There is a trick for removing carbon deposits where you (very slowly) pour water into the intake of a running motor. That process is safe and puts way more water in then a wet filter would.

Snakestress

Drag Queen
Established Member
i let it sit in the garage about an hour with a fan in front of it. works all the time. sometimes less than an hour but ive always had at least an hour to do it.

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
JSpeed said:
You dont really have to dry it at all. Even if you put a soaking wet one on it wont make any difference. It wont hurt the motor and the air passing through it will dry it in minutes.

There is a trick for removing carbon deposits where you (very slowly) pour water into the intake of a running motor. That process is safe and puts way more water in then a wet filter would.

Cool! But how does that affect the oil you put on the filter? :shrug:

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
when i clean my breathers i usually stick'm in the oven for about 10 min or so on low.

chiz

Robert Francis

Established Member
When I clean my S & B 12" cone, I take it out on saturday, clean it, let it set overnight - then oil it and put back in on sunday and drive it.

Bigredmk86

2002 Lightning
Established Member
Spin it, use a hair dryer for a few minutes then I let it sit out for about a hour. Yet I would reccomend turning the hair dryer on and leaving it inside the filter to dry it from the inside out. I ended up burning up the hair dryer. I had to go buy my gf a new one.

Last edited:

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
03silversvt said:
never owned a car long enough to have it cleaned

Yeah the K&N cleaner says you only have to do it once every 50 to 100k miles... :dw: I do it when it gets buggy or just dirty lookin, usually every 6k or so. I dont mind having to buy a new filter every couple of years if it wears it out quicker with frequent cleaning.

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
Bigredmk86 said:
Spin it, use a hair dryer for a few minutes then I let it sit out for about a hour. Yet I would reccomend turning the hair dryer on and leaving it inside the filter to dry it from the inside out. I ended up burning up the hair dryer. I had to go buy my gf a new one.

You do or dont recomend it? Thats exactley what I did and it worked like a charm. I got my cruise on too so thanks everyone. ;-)

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
JSpeed said:
I used to do that to my stang but i would never pass water thru my s/c.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
I picked up a second filter just for this reason!

When I clean one, the second has already been washed, dried, and lightly (emphasis on LIGHTLY) oiled, sitting in my garage cabinet for months.

Stewart

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
You're not suppose to use any kind of heat source to dry cone filter. Supposedly it will cause the cotton fibers to shrink and the filter won't filter as efficiently anymore. I usually clean it and let it sit for a full day to dry. Then oil it the next day.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
lightninmike said:
I used to do that to my stang but i would never pass water thru my s/c.

I did forget about the blower. Personally I think a Eaton would be ok since its just a roots type blower. A Lyshom/screw stype Whipple or KB, I would be a lot more careful with. That actually works like a comrpessor.

Either way playing it safe is ALWAYS a good idea and ant hurt.

Last edited:

lightningonbags

Established Member
swinging it around for awhile to get out all the loose water

I do the same thing and then stop to think how funny I must look swinging it around!:lol1: I let mine sit over nite. I also heard that you are not to use a heat source or you could damage it.

Users who are viewing this thread