How long have you been at your current job?

I've been with my job for?

• less than a year

Votes: 19 8.7%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 24 11.0%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 48 21.9%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 54 24.7%
  • 11-15 years

Votes: 42 19.2%
  • 16-20 years

Votes: 20 9.1%
  • 21-25 years

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 26-30 years

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 30+ years

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prototype007

Established Member
I've noticed out of numerous people I've met over time that not many in my area seem to stick with their jobs for many years. Some I greatly understand why, such as getting another job with better pay/benefits/retirement, but I've seen some people throw away really great jobs for our area.

But that's not the part that blows my mind. The part that they keep getting opportunities at these jobs and they work them a year or so and quit. I know the whole "don't judge a book by it's cover" but when most people get these jobs they stay until they retire or die.

So my question to the rest of the world (SVTP anyways) is how long have you been at your current job? I'm not asking for the details of how great/terrible it is (you can share if you please), but how long have you been there? For those that are retired, how long did you stay at your final place of employment?

This October made 8 years for me, full time. I don't really count the part time I worked while I was in High School since that time doesn't belong/effect my years of service until I purchase it.
EDIT: Forgot to mention I'll be retiring with maximum everything in 19 more years at the age of 45, if I don't buy any time.

Last edited:

TERMINATED97

Established Member
This December will be four years for me. I tend to get comfortable at my jobs and it makes it hard to look for something else.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
A little over 8 years. I will never leave here. My government benefits and pay are too good to ever give up.

On the other hand, my wife seems to change jobs just about every 2 years. :shrug:

dino lord

itching to build...
Established Member
3 months. After years in retail management trying to keep bills paid and get my education, this should be my career job. Love it. Still got a lil more school before I have that piece of paper, but kicked butt and got my spot ahead of time.

Stanger00

Established Member
11 months

Prior
From age 19 to 26 active duty Air Force. 26 to 27 contractor in Iraq. 28 to 30 quality control tech. Started my new job on my 30th birthday.

strict9

Established Member
20 years active duty Air Force , retired in Feb 2013 then worked as a contractor for 1.5yrs and now I have a Federal job. Pretty sure I won't leave until I retire again.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Going on 3 years at my current job. Love it here! I'll prob stick around another 20 if we don't get bought out and shut down by China first! We have several in our offices that have been here 20+ and one just retired after 43 yrs!

I think the hardest part in the world today, or at least in manufacturing facilities. So much to compete against and constant environment changes.

99-venom

Established Member
Spent 2 years as a natural gas compressor mechanic before working in an underground coal mine for 3 years. After these two jobs, I caught a break with a start up med tech company and have spent the last 6 years as a engineering tech. Been thinking about jumping ship for another start up med tech company here lately, but my current employer just started to really gain traction in their place in the market. I generally switch jobs when I find one with either better benefits/pay or room for me to grow further than the current employer.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Less than a year, but I don't plan on leaving here until I take the jump into becoming my own boss.

I had to learn the hard way the importance of holding a job and sucking up the bad days unfortunately.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A little over 8 years. I will never leave here. My government benefits and pay are too good to ever give up.

On the other hand, my wife seems to change jobs just about every 2 years. :shrug:

At least it's better than her changing husbands every 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread