How long would you go?

fmylife

Established Member
Saw a commercial for Mobil 1 that supposedly has proven "year long" performance or 20k miles between changes.

Would you feel comfortable putting that much time and miles on a single oil/filter change?

What's the longest you've gone between changes in your Shelby? I change mine every 3-4 months/4-6k miles with Rotella T 5w40 and Ford filter.

nxhappy

Established Member
1-1.5 years or 5000 miles

mobil is fairly cheap so not really a big deal

CV355

_
Established Member
I ran Amsoil XL in my Volvo for 10,000 miles. I usually go 4k-5k on it.

As for my Shelby? Haven't changed the oil once since I have only put 1200 miles or so on it. Probably should change it anyways just so it doesn't turn into acid goop just sitting there.

keystonemedical

Established Member
All the Mustangs Ive owned over the years none of them being daily drivers, Ive changed yearly with Motorcraft of different weights / viscosities. In my daily drivers, I never go over 5000 miles no matter what oil it is. My Duramax goes 7500 with Rotella. Ive also used factory filters over the years, whether it was AC/DELCO or Motorcraft or Mopar.

AAG

Established Member
Port injection - No, but only because I drive about 15k miles per year
Direct injection - NOPE, 5k miles per oil change max because of fuel dilution

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
With today's synthetic oil technology, yes, I would. Our S4 had a 15K mile oil change interval. We routinely went 10K+ on our old Forester XT. We'll probably do the same thing with the new one, although we did have the initial oil change at 6K. My GT500 gets an oil change about once a year. Will probably do the same with the R.

I don't use any "special" oils. I use what the manufacturer recommends and at the interval they recommend. The way I see it, if one of my engines fries from using the manufacturer recommended oil, interval and use-type, the manufacturer owes me an engine.

nxhappy

Established Member
Port injection - No, but only because I drive about 15k miles per year
Direct injection - NOPE, 5k miles per oil change max because of fuel dilution
good point

bigmoose

Established Member
It's depends on the motor. I run amsoil SS in my Cobra and my DD which is a '13 explorer sport with the 3.5EB. I do yearly on the Cobra and 12k on the explorer. I sent my old oil to Blackstone labs and the results are always great and I could go more miles if I wanted. No measured fuel dilution.

oldmodman

Established Member
In my 1992 Ford Explorer I change the oil every two years. Just before the SMOG inspection. The total number of miles driven between oil changes is from 1600 up to 2800. It is usually down about half a quart when I check ir just before doing the oil and filter change.
I have used Mobil 1 since the first oil change. I had the valve covers off a while ago and all the metal is completely clean and a golden color.
I'd say the Mobil 1 is doing a darn good job.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
I was running Amsoil XL in most of my vehicles, and going 15k miles or more. Had an 09 Escape we just sold with 143k that was still running awesome. Still have my 02 Ranger that has 215k, runs like a champ, gets beaten pretty hard too.

03 Dodge Ram with a Cum-a-part gets changed when I feel like it. When I was hauling campers, would easily go 15k miles on whatever tractor oil I had on the farm.

I've wrecked a lot of stuff, but the only oil related failures occured from there being none. If its on the stick, run it.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Wife's BMW under warranty had 12k or 15k intervals we followed for the life of the warranty.

After the bumper 2 bumper ended, and replacement of a set of vanos solenoids, I changed it every 5k.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I go no more than 5k between oil changes. the 04 gets it changed once a year.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Mustang and the truck both get one oil change per year. Puts the Mustang at about 4000, the truck at 10k. Synthetic in both.
Wondering about the DI vs. port fuel post. DI is no more likely to dilute your oil than port fuel injection. As DI is more precise in metering the fuel, it would be even less likely to dilute your oil. The only way fuel should get in the oil is if you have a bad injector, and this applies to either system.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Dating back to my old 2010 Honda Civic, I just wait for the maintenance reminder to pop up. Then oil gets changed same day. And regardless of miles and/or mods, I always use the recommended OE stuff.

Even my old '11 GT with full bolt-ons and a 150 shot used the OE oil and filter and was only serviced when the oil life indicator said to. Never had a problem either.

Currently at 8K miles on my new '17 Accord Sport SE and still at 30% oil life. Oil is still where it should be and looks good.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Lexus has all their 0w-20 cars at 1 year or 10,000 which ever comes first. The truth? Change it every 5k, especially if you run Pennzoil synthetic. that shit is GARBAGE.

On DI cars, the oil is FILTHY. Absolutely disgusting how it looks when its drained on 10k intervals.

Also, after about 60,000 miles there is noticeable deposits in the oil filter housings.

1 year or 10,000 mile intervals were to satisfy customers on maintenance and fleet managers to get their business. I dont care who says anything about it. 5k max if you care about your engine or are religious with Used Oil Analysis for every extended service interval.

For the record, 0w-20 has the viscosity of water when its hot. I dont trust the shit.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Agreed above. If anything you should change oil MORE often on DI cars and especially if you're running thin 5w-20 because you do not have fuel spraying onto and cleaning the back of the intake valves. As the oil ages and dilutes it will vaporize and gets cycled through the PCV system and back through the intake and it will carbon over your intake valves.

I think there are a ton of variables to consider such as driving style, idle time, ambient temps, oil weight and brand, amount of oil your system holds ect. But for me have gone by my own thought that about 1000 miles per quart of oil in the system could be a good rule of thumb. I let my Truck's oil life % maintenance reminder tell me when to change and it seems to be in the 6-7k miles range, It holds 6 quarts so I'm ok with that and on occasion will push it a couple of weeks or a month past, just depends. I use AMS oil XL in it which is guaranteed for 10,000 miles. Mustang gets about the same treatment albeit with a 7 quart pan, but I drive it a lot harder. Might change it sooner if I know I want to head to the race track or go on a road trip or something like that.

I feel like oil change intervals are one thing, but keeping the system full of oil and addressing leaks and even checking oil pressure once in awhile if possible is the another major part of the equation. I can't tell you how many times I worked on a car with no oil showing on the dip stick and it ended up being 2 or 3 quarts low or sometimes even more. Interestingly, whenever this was the case, I would notice the customer's oil service sticker and find that they were almost always around 10,000 miles give or take past service due, so about 13,000-15,000 miles since their last oil change.

Users who are viewing this thread