How mant quarts of oil for the 03-04 Cobra's is it 6 or 6.7 or even 7 quarts?

1 BLOWN V8

Established Member
Hey all just a quick question on the 03-04 Cobra's. How many quarts of oil does it hold?
By the manual it says 6 quarts
by mitchill on demand it says 6.7 quarts
When I do my own oil changes it seems like it wants 7 quarts to read full on the dipstick.
Ken

whippleblown03

Established Member
i just changed my oil. i put in 6. started it up let it run for a few minutes. shut it off checked it and it on the low end. then i let it sit all night and checked it again in the morning. was 1/2 way between low mark and full mark.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
RTFM. The manual says 6 so I put in 6. If they wanted 6.7 I'm sure it would be there in print.

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
i've heard that the "middle of the dipstick mark" is what "full" is. less than that and you're low. more than that and you're over full. many people think the max line is "full" when in reality it's too much. Mine always takes 6 and that puts it right in the middle, supposedly where it's supposed to be.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I (and others) have posted this a dozen times but some just don't pay attention. LOL!

The Manual says 6 quarts. SVT acknowledges that that is not correct. Ask them or any dealer who knows the right procedure and you will hear the same thing. Start with six quarts. Let your car idle. Turn it off. Check your level and fill as is needed. If done correctly you will usually use 6.25 - 6.75 quarts. The last time my dealer changed my oil it took exactly 7 quarts. I saw it with my own eyes and actually had a big go-round with SVT on this. :)

By the way, underfilling is just as bad as over filling, so my advice is do it right.

Goldy

Established Member
6.5 quarts.

I have three (3) 4.6 engines, and are in the following:

- 03 Cobra
- 99 Cobra
- 04 F150 (Heritage)

Each takes 6.5 quarts (w/filter, of course) to get the oil level just ever so slightly below the 'Full' mark on the dip stick; I don't see the any differences in the oil capacity on any of these 4.6 liter engines.

Good Luck.

Howard

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I (and others) have posted this a dozen times but some just don't pay attention. LOL!

The Manual says 6 quarts. SVT acknowledges that that is not correct. Ask them or any dealer who knows the right procedure and you will hear the same thing. Start with six quarts. Let your car idle. Turn it off. Check your level and fill as is needed. If done correctly you will usually use 6.25 - 6.75 quarts. The last time my dealer changed my oil it took exactly 7 quarts. I saw it with my own eyes and actually had a big go-round with SVT on this. :)

By the way, underfilling is just as bad as over filling, so my advice is do it right.

That's the proper way to do it.:thumbsup:

kaos

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob

Just to clarify. They filled it to the full marker correct? I need to find a super flat part and perfectly square area to do my oil.

Sonic Blue MN

Established Member
Fords modular engines have a range on the dipstick. As long as the oil level falls within the range you are fine. Last time I changed my oil, I put 6 quarts in, started the motor, shut it off and check the level; it was on the low end of the range. I let the car sit overnight and it was just past the 1/2 way point on the range. My old 97 cobra and 99 F150 5.4 were both simular.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I just got thought talking to SVT from their toll-free number.

The person who answered said :

SIX QUARTS.

I asked if that includes priming the filter.

HE SAID: YES, 6 QUARTS, INCLUDES PRIMING THE FILTER.

There is a post over on SVTOA about this and the guy there is putting 7.5 quarts in his 03 Cobra :eek:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
If SVT admits it's an error, why hasn't the 03 manual been amended? Why hasn't the 04 manual been corrected? Why haven't we been notafied by phone/mail that the amount of oil they say to put in the car is incorrect?

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I have an 04, with an 04 manual, it still specs for 6. I dump mine hot, let drain for 30-1hr, then refill with 6. Usually wind up at 6.5. From previous threads and discussions with my dealer, it is best to stay away from the 7 mark or "full" on the stick.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by bassin247
If SVT admits it's an error, why hasn't the 03 manual been amended? Why hasn't the 04 manual been corrected? Why haven't we been notafied by phone/mail that the amount of oil they say to put in the car is incorrect?
I was told twice by SVT that they are not amending the Manuals because they are concerned that if owners change their own oil they might not drain enough out and end up overfilling. So they feel 6 quarts is "safe". All I can tell you is what SVT and my dealer told me. And I know for certain that six quarts in my car is low. My dealer had to show me to convince me that mine takes just under 7 quarts. Use six if you want, but I'd advise you to at least check your level after you add those six quarts.
;-)

Users who are viewing this thread