How much does timing affect power? Turn down boost to turn up timing?

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
You guys are probably getting sick of my questions but.. I'll ask anyway.

I'm currently running a TVS with a 2.8" pulley, 16.5* of timing, and 93 + booster. I have a heat exchanger on the to-do list to get IAT2 readings down, but I'm debating a smaller pulley.

When I originally got my Cobra, it had a stock Eaton with a 2.76. According to the printout I got with the car, it was tuned for 20-23* of timing, and I'm guessing that it peaked at around 14PSI. (I didn't have an overlay or boost gauge, so that's speculation.) I ran the car like that for 25K miles. It was super punchy and didn't seem to noticeably heat soak or lose power even when I drove it hard. (It did lose power when I did a track day and IAT2 readings got into the 170s during 20 minute sessions, though.)

I'm seeing 19 PSI, dropping to 18 after 6000RPM, with the 2.8 pulley, and running 16.5* of timing as mentioned above.

The 3.0 pulley is supposed to be good for 16-17 PSI, so I feel like I could run 18-19* of timing on 93 + booster.

The 3.2 pulley is supposed to be good for 14-15 PSI, so just about the same as what the engine saw with the 2.76 Eaton on up to 23* of timing. I wonder if I could run 21-22* of timing on 93 + booster, with the 3.2 pulley.

So, how much does timing affect power compared to boost? Does it makes sense to drop boost by ~2 PSI and run a little more timing, or drop boost by ~4 PSI and run even more timing?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I personally would rather run more timing than boost. I think 1 psi boost is equivalent to 1* timing hp.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I personally would rather run more timing than boost. I think 1 psi boost is equivalent to 1* timing hp.

Man, it sounds like it would be a push if 1PSI is equal to 1* of timing, horsepower-wise. I'd probably need to drop 4-5 PSI to be able to add 5* of timing. And.. timing can "go away", whereas boost is pretty much consistent. However, if I dropped enough boost that IAT2 stayed low enough to not pull any timing.. then it might be worthwhile.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I guess it depends on setup. My timing won't go away. Running e85 my timing doesn't get pulled until 170* iat2's. And I'll never reach that unless something is wrong.

Your limited running 93.

Users who are viewing this thread