How much louder will offroad H pipe be on startup and low rpm?

cbehr

Established Member
Looking to throw a offroad H pipe on my car, it has magnaflow catback exhaust now. I leave for work decently early and although I don't live in a development I do have 2 young kids and do pass a few neighbor houses before getting to a larger road.

So my question is on startup and if I baby it out of my driveway and first couple turns will it be marginally louder or a noticeable difference that could cause problems?

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I have an off road H pipe on my car with Magnaflow oval mufflers. It is slightly louder than stock at start up and low RPM. However, when you hammer it that is when the decibel level is definitely noticeable.

I leave my house around 6:45 AM and days when I take my Cobra to work no one complains. Even when I come home from work my wife and kids do not say I woke them up LOL.

Last edited:

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Looking to throw a offroad H pipe on my car, it has magnaflow catback exhaust now. I leave for work decently early and although I don't live in a development I do have 2 young kids and do pass a few neighbor houses before getting to a larger road.

So my question is on startup and if I baby it out of my driveway and first couple turns will it be marginally louder or a noticeable difference that could cause problems?
I have done so with several different cars, including my 2013 GT500. Although it varies a bit from car to car, it will definitely be much louder on cold start up and especially when your on the go pedal. I enjoyed it more when younger, but now I had to go back to catted factory h pipe. A bit to loud for me now, and the gas smell from no cats was to annoying. Hope this helps.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The kids will probably adjust. My son could sleep next to hot rods being fired up at a show. He recently went from a crappy catted mid pipe to an off road H. Granted he has one chamber flowmasters, but the difference is noticeable. Even when he tries to baby it out of the neighborhood.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
O/r h-pipe and oval magnaflows here. If you have the magnapacks, it’s going to be loud. Regular oval manga flows and it’s not bad. Pretty quiet when your foot isn’t in the gas too much and you cruising is pretty quiet too. WOT and you’re screaming.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Age of your cat backs mufflers may matter on the oval mufflers. I need to replace mine as my cars mufflers sound hollow when knocked on.
For them to be considered “good” you should not here any hollowness.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cbehr

Established Member
Thanks everyone, I’ve seen a few used ones go for around $100 so if it’s too loud and doesn’t work no biggie... it I’m sure I’ll fall in love with the new sound and figure out how to creep away from the house!

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Do the right thing and get long tubes along with it.

Had kooks long tubes to 3" offroad x pipe to 3" flowmaster catback on my 01. Needless to say, it was loud. Left every morning by 0630. I always apologized to my neighbors but they all said they didn't mind at all. The only person that didn't like it was my next door neighbor, wife of elderly couple. She said the only reason she didn't like it was because every morning her husband would ask if he could get one.

*edit*
I still miss the sound and feel of the L/Ts + offroad x + big catback every day; every start up made me smile

Sent from my SM-N975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Do the right thing and get long tubes along with it.

Had kooks long tubes to 3" offroad x pipe to 3" flowmaster catback on my 01. Needless to say, it was loud. Left every morning by 0630. I always apologized to my neighbors but they all said they didn't mind at all. The only person that didn't like it was my next door neighbor, wife of elderly couple. She said the only reason she didn't like it was because every morning her husband would ask if he could get one.

*edit*
I still miss the sound and feel of the L/Ts + offroad x + big catback every day; every start up made me smile

Sent from my SM-N975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I had Bassani mids, catted x, and stingers on my 01. Apparently I was the neighborhood alarm clock. My neighbors knew if they were running late or not depending where they were in their routine when I started my car. I took a vacation and got in trouble because everyone was late.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I had Bassani mids, catted x, and stingers on my 01. Apparently I was the neighborhood alarm clock. My neighbors knew if they were running late or not depending where they were in their routine when I started my car. I took a vacation and got in trouble because everyone was late.
Lmao! My neighbor is the alarm clock. Has a truck and fires it up letting me know if I'm late or on time. I'm never early lmao!

That's a cool story Bob!

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

KBR

Established Member
I ran the Magnaflow catted X....I really liked the way it sounded with the Magnaflow cat back...It was not loud unless doing a pull...my buddies said I sounded like "George Jetson" on the highway when I passed them on a cruise. I just added Mac LT headers and pro-chamber. Now I have a nice low rumble at idle, and it's definitely louder, but still not as loud as Stingers.
If you can see the video in the link, I'm the second car pre-headers.

Users who are viewing this thread