How much rubber lost in a burnout?

hmwave

Established Member
Suppose it depends of the road surface but I wondered how much tread is taken off the tires in say a 30second burnout?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I can begin to guess how much tread is lost but I wonder why you want to do a brunout? It doesnt help with traction in the F1 tires, all it does is wear tires.

hmwave

Established Member
I don't plan to do any burnouts, just wondered how much they 'cost'!

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
I can begin to guess how much tread is lost but I wonder why you want to do a brunout? It doesnt help with traction in the F1 tires, all it does is wear tires.

I agree with that.

When I go to the track I do a quick spin to clean anything off the tire and stage.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
They cost about 220 a tire, so I would say the smoke show isn't worth the beating on your drivetrain/tires.

hardhit99

Established Member
I wouldn't think that the amount is measurable without a micrometer to measure tread depth. My drag radials have a 6/32" tread depth new, so i would venture to say (as simply a guess) that a 30 second, 2nd gear burnout would burn off about 1/64" - 1/32". How much rubber comes off is also going to depend a lot on how soft the tire compound is and the speed of the burnout. The difference between a 30 second burnout on a sticky slick vs. a tire rated with a tread life of 300 is going to be big. Just like the difference between a 30 second first gear burnout and a 30 second 2nd gear burnout is a big one. 30 seconds is also a pretty long time to burnout a tire. Count 30 in your head and imagine roasting your tires for that long.

Last edited:

TwoValveKid

Uh oh.....
Established Member
find a friend at a local tire shop...and get some take off tires that are gonna get tossed anyway :D and some dinky rims and have some fun:thumbsup:

i8u

Established Member
I did a 30 sec burnout. I would say I burnt about 35% of my tread off. I don't know how much a wore off my rear brake pads.
Watching other cars stop because they couldn't see through all the smoke was well worth the wear.

Users who are viewing this thread