How much RWHP on a GT?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I have a race lined up with a Ford GT in two weeks and want to know what they put down for power. Has anyone anywhere seen a dyno sheet on one of these bad boys?

Florida Chris

Established Member
badcobra said:
I have a race lined up with a Ford GT in two weeks and want to know what they put down for power. Has anyone anywhere seen a dyno sheet on one of these bad boys?

Are you going to really race on a road course or just drive in a straight line and hold on?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
We are going to race on a public highway. Probably from a roll. If the guy can drive, he should probably beat me. No way my car is going to hang with one around a corner. I'm going to video tape it and post win or lose. I have a few more things I am doing to my car in between now and then too, but it probably won't matter. lol

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
badcobra said:
We are going to race on a public highway. Probably from a roll. If the guy can drive, he should probably beat me. No way my car is going to hang with one around a corner. I'm going to video tape it and post win or lose. I have a few more things I am doing to my car in between now and then too, but it probably won't matter. lol

why a public hwy :dw:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Sorry peeps, yes we are going to street race. Obviously we will go where there is little traffic and a small chance to put either us or anyone else in harms way.

The only track I race at is 3 hrs away, and I will only race at that one because they let me slide without a cage. I would be happy to race him at the track, but I think he is more of a road racer and not a drag racer. If I can set that up, I will but it's not likely.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
good luck, and honestly be prepared for an "ass whoopin" since he has a 200-300 lb weight advantage and 30-50 hp over you.. (weight advantage depends on how much fuel is in each car)

barondw

Established Member
Actual dyno numbers 552 RWHP, 493 RW Ft. Lbs. These numbers are normal. However note it was done in third gear not fourth due to dyno limits in 4th. So you would use a 20% loss factor not a 15% loss factor.

That converts to crank numbers of 690 HP & 616 Ft. Lbs. Still significantly less than a big AMG Mercedes espeically the torque.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
barondw said:
Actual dyno numbers 552 RWHP, 493 RW Ft. Lbs. These numbers are normal. However note it was done in third gear not fourth due to dyno limits in 4th. So you would use a 20% loss factor not a 15% loss factor.

That converts to crank numbers of 690 HP & 616 Ft. Lbs. Still significantly less than a big AMG Mercedes espeically the torque.

What were the corrected #s? The TT AMG V12s come with 18psi +, and the blown V8s with at least 13.5psi. Pulley/retune the GT motor and see who wins the TQ contest :thumbsup:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Well just an update, we haven't raced yet but are going to very soon. I just put in headers, and a new clutch in as mine was fried. I also added a methanol/water injection setup. I'm gonna smoke the GT now. My car is much more dialed in than when I put down 519hp, so I am sure its making closer to 530 now. I'll have some track numbers Sat to see where I am at.

And, you cannot dyno a car in 3rd gear and get accurate results. Let's see a 4th gear pull on a dynojet so we have something to compare to.

Fourcam330

Established Member
badcobra said:
Well just an update, we haven't raced yet but are going to very soon. I just put in headers, and a new clutch in as mine was fried. I also added a methanol/water injection setup. I'm gonna smoke the GT now. My car is much more dialed in than when I put down 519hp, so I am sure its making closer to 530 now. I'll have some track numbers Sat to see where I am at.

And, you cannot dyno a car in 3rd gear and get accurate results. Let's see a 4th gear pull on a dynojet so we have something to compare to.

I'm not saying you're going to lose, but remember, even if you both make 530rwhp at peak, the GT/5.4 is going to have a substantial amount more area under the HP/TQ curves than your 4.6.

barondw

Established Member
badcobra said:

That's you opinion. Buy a GT and dyno it yourself if you don't like my post

Fourcam330

Established Member
barondw said:
That's you opinion. Buy a GT and dyno it yourself if you don't like my post

Actually, it's a fact. Anything other than a direct 1:1 ratio (as in 4th gears in most 5-6sp. manuals) and the #s will be skewed due to the internal torque multiplication of the tranny. 3rd gear dynos are notoriously higher than 4th gear pulls for that very reason.

Users who are viewing this thread