How much RWHP on a GT?

JimIII@jdm

We had John Colletis here on our dyno when MM&FF did the drag test for the GT. It made 615 STD RWHP with a smaller pulley which added 3 psi. The Airfuel was a consistent 11.5 across the board and got a little rich before the end. When my Dad let out of the dyno it shot a flame about a foot long out of the exhaust!!! Coolest thing I have ever seen :bowdown: That car went 10.92 in the 1/4!

JimIII@JDM

John @ HPE

Established Member
JimIII@jdm said:
We had John Colletis here on our dyno when MM&FF did the drag test for the GT. It made 615 STD RWHP with a smaller pulley which added 3 psi. The Airfuel was a consistent 11.5 across the board and got a little rich before the end. When my Dad let out of the dyno it shot a flame about a foot long out of the exhaust!!! Coolest thing I have ever seen :bowdown: That car went 10.92 in the 1/4!

JimIII@JDM

The stock GT runs 11.5-11.7 af up til about 5000 rpm then it drops down into the 10's above 5000 rpm. Did Colleti have a re-mapped computer? I would guess it did.

JimIII@jdm

John @ HPE said:
The stock GT runs 11.5-11.7 af up til about 5000 rpm then it drops down into the 10's above 5000 rpm. Did Colleti have a re-mapped computer? I would guess it did.

John we were dying to get in there and put a tune on it but we weren't privledged to it. From my understanding it was still the stock tuning. Adding that little amount boost wont throw off the A/F too much unless it exceeds the mass air meter. What are you using for Tuning on the GT if you dont mind me asking?

JimIII

Last edited:

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Well I have met the guy and seen the car in person and damn what a beautiful car it is. The night we were going to run, it started raining so we had to postpone. Since then I have added a 175HP wet shot so I am not sure he is going to race me any longer. I am trying to line it up again though. He doesn't know I have nitrous yet unless one of my friends told him, but he knows my car moves on blower alone. I would love to spray and put the hurtin on that thing though. So sorry for the delay on this...it's hard to pin this guy down. I don't think he is too interested in getting smashed by a lowly Mustang, but I am gonna keep working him.

Tom B

Established Member
badcobra said:
Well I have met the guy and seen the car in person and damn what a beautiful car it is. The night we were going to run, it started raining so we had to postpone. Since then I have added a 175HP wet shot so I am not sure he is going to race me any longer. I am trying to line it up again though. He doesn't know I have nitrous yet unless one of my friends told him, but he knows my car moves on blower alone. I would love to spray and put the hurtin on that thing though. So sorry for the delay on this...it's hard to pin this guy down. I don't think he is too interested in getting smashed by a lowly Mustang, but I am gonna keep working him.

If he's into street racing maybe he's waiting to catch you from a roll, and taking it to you on the big end. If he's in for more than 10-12 seconds I doubt he the one getting smashed.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Tom B said:
If he's into street racing maybe he's waiting to catch you from a roll, and taking it to you on the big end. If he's in for more than 10-12 seconds I doubt he the one getting smashed.

What do you mean by big end? I hope you don't mean over 150 on a public road, deserted or not, because that would be extremely stupid and dangerous. I've only gone faster than that in a controlled environment and it was pretty scary :D

Florida Chris

Established Member
I personally wouldn’t run anyone in a straight line for 10 seconds whether I thought I could out run them or not. The GT is not a dragster. While I understand some find a thrill in drag racing, it has no appeal to me. I'd have no problem conceding someone might be faster for 1200 ft. What's the point? The GT was designed to perform as a sports car. In addition to a powerful motor it has great brakes and corners like it is on rails. Running against a Viper or a Porsche on a road course or a deserted mountain road has a whole lot more appeal to me. My guess is that most GT owners feel the same way. You won’t see many of these cars at the local drag strip.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Florida Chris said:
I personally wouldn’t run anyone in a straight line for 10 seconds whether I thought I could out run them or not. The GT is not a dragster. While I understand some find a thrill in drag racing, it has no appeal to me. I'd have no problem conceding someone might be faster for 1200 ft. What's the point? The GT was designed to perform as a sports car. In addition to a powerful motor it has great brakes and corners like it is on rails. Running against a Viper or a Porsche on a road course or a deserted mountain road has a whole lot more appeal to me. My guess is that most GT owners feel the same way. You won’t see many of these cars at the local drag strip.

Good post :beer:

Most people make a big deal when they beat Ferrari/Viper/Lambo/FGT/Porsche. They don't realize that those cars were not developed to be drag cars, they just happen to be fast in the 1/4. Even though I have done the whole 1/4 mile thing, it is rather boring to me IMO. Road racing is much more exciting.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Tom B said:

Roll or a dig there is no way he is hanging with me. My car is making probably 715+ rwhp on the 175 shot. I prefer roll racing because it shows who has the most HP, so that is perfectly fine with me. 40-190....no probs, he isn't going to go around me. The guy is a car guy, has a bunch of cars including a kit Cobra with a 427 in it. I think he would actually prefer to race me in that because it's faster he says. I am going to get this race going one way or another...and it will be videotaped.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
badcobra said:
Roll or a dig there is no way he is hanging with me. My car is making probably 715+ rwhp on the 175 shot. I prefer roll racing because it shows who has the most HP, so that is perfectly fine with me. 40-190....no probs, he isn't going to go around me. The guy is a car guy, has a bunch of cars including a kit Cobra with a 427 in it. I think he would actually prefer to race me in that because it's faster he says. I am going to get this race going one way or another...and it will be videotaped.

I don't know if I would even attempt to take your car much over 170. Your car is basically a flying brick with no downforce. Your car might literally take-off. The GT is like a knife and thrives at high speeds. Not knocking your car, it just isn't meant for high speed runs. I've raced some high hp KB cobras that were really fast, but seemed to fall on their faces after 4th gear.

satx

Banned
badcobra said:

you should race him off the spray to make it competitive, or at least have him pulley and chip his car.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
GTSpartan said:
I don't know if I would even attempt to take your car much over 170. Your car is basically a flying brick with no downforce. Your car might literally take-off. The GT is like a knife and thrives at high speeds. Not knocking your car, it just isn't meant for high speed runs. I've raced some high hp KB cobras that were really fast, but seemed to fall on their faces after 4th gear.

I have had my car to 160 and it was perfectly fine. No lift, no sway, nothing but smooth and easy driving. I can BLOW away KB Cobras unless they are packing 25+ lbs of boost and spraying too. There is plenty of downforce at that speed. I know aero wise the GT has a HUGE advantage, but he would be so far behind he'll never catch up.

As for running off the spray..not a chance. Run what you brung and hope you brung enough. I am going to have the first video in the world of a GT beat down!

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
badcobra,

It seems that you are turning this into a real pissing contest. I don't think that anyone here cares that you can run mega boost AND a 175 shot and beat a GT. On top of that you would run him on a 175 shot and not even tell him??

He's being pretty damn cool by agreeing to run you in his 150K+ supercar. Why can't you be cool and tell him what mods you have?? and at least run him once w/out the N20??

I'm sure he's got the money to modify his GT to the point that your '03 would get dusted off no matter what you do to it. In the end who cares? You're still driving a car with a '79 Fairmont floorpan while he's driving one of the baddest supercars around.

Most of us just want to see how your car will do against a 5.4 when you're not spraying. Not to see you get beat or see him get beat but to get a good idea of what a GT will really do.

Vic

Established Member
I've got a jet engine and a bomb strapped to my Yugo. I want to race a Ford Mustang Cobra, to show 'em whoze the man! When I win, everyone will think Yugos rule the streets, and my fragile ego will be satiated! Gawd, I hate dem Mustang Cobras! Cause I can't afford one.

Last edited:

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
Run him with whatever you want. Just be sure and post the video.

ChuckV

Established Member
Race him less the N20. What would be the point? That'd be like running your car against an 850whp Supra on the highway. It's obvious what's going to happen, and therefore, it's not interesting. "I pwned you in my lowly Mustang!" isn't a good reason to turn what might be a close/interesting race into a blowout IMO. Even if you run him with and without the jets... It's nice of him to even put a beauty like that at risk on the street, why not make it worthwhile?

Users who are viewing this thread