How much stress on the car....?

jvert

Established Member
I am just getting into open track racing. I wanted to know how much stress is on the car and how bad is open track racing for the car? Few of my friends say its harder on the car doing open track racing than drag racing or autocrossing. I just wanted to hear all of your opinions on it.

Thanks?

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
There are a lot of discussions on this topic, so pick some key words and do some reading.

In short, it depends on how hard you drive the car. I used to drag race a lot, now I road course a lot. Here is a summary (off the top of my head):

Drag racing:
- 2x broken halfshafts
- broken input shaft on tranny
- overspun supercharger and broken bearings
- shorted out fan
- 1 blown motor
- bent shift fork in tranny
- bad wheel bearing
- lots of drag radials

Road Course:
- 1 blown motor
- Melted differential bushings
- replaced diff halfshaft seal
- Torn brake ducts
- 3 burnt fuel pumps
- replaced fuel tank setup
- replaced radiator
- lots of track tires
- lots of rotors
- lots of track pads

Of course, I don't pussy-foot around when I am out there either.

racebronco2

Established Member
Let's not forget the time spent on track during the day:
Drag racing, 4-8 runs = less then 2 minutes
Open track 4 sessions = 80 minutes

Gas costs;
Drag racing 1/4 tank at the most $20.00
Open tracking 1 1/2 tanks $70.00

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you don't count brakes I think drag racing is a lot harder on the car than open track.

The breakage and wear drag racing keeps me from going back to it.

How many Whipple cobras do you know about that are still on the original clutch?

When I switched to DOT slicks I made sure I had a road race oil pan.
High Gs + high RPMs+ high banking= starved oil pickup.

I ran 7 qts when I ran the stock pan.
I still watch the water temp like a hawk!

This open track portion of the hobby will actually make you a better driver, drag racing will make you a better shifter.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Both are harder on a car than street driving. I would say they are equally hard on a car, just on different components.

Drag racing is harder on the drivetrain. Mainly due to the shock of 4000rpm launches and powershifting. I have seen many a half shaft break on Terminators at the track.

OT is harder on suspension and brakes. Such as ball joints, wheel bearings, and calipers. Oh, and paint. OT is much harder on the paint job than drag racing ever was.

Both are hard on tires, but I do spend more doing OT than I ever did drag racing. Of course that has to do with the amount of track time in OT vs drag racing. If I got 75 minutes of drag racing in, in one day, I am sure that I would need new tires after one event. Over all I spend more money maintening my car in OT than drag racing, but it has to do with track time. For me it is worth the extra cost in maintenance for the fun factor. Your car will probably see more track time in one event with OT than in 5 years of drag racing every other weekend.

jvert

Established Member
True, Its good to read. Ive been to 2 OT events this year and Im trying to plan 2 more. You are right about the costs. But its so worth it. Ive learned so much in my short OT events. I can not wait to keep on learning how to actually drive and push the car to its limits.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
True, Its good to read. Ive been to 2 OT events this year and Im trying to plan 2 more. You are right about the costs. But its so worth it. Ive learned so much in my short OT events. I can not wait to keep on learning how to actually drive and push the car to its limits.

I was scared how high the limits of a stock 04 Cobra was! Seriously! This car scared the crap out of me. The limit was me for a good long time! I am still not willing to stuff the car, so even though it may not look like it to some of my friends, here and in SCMC, I'm still tip toeing REALLY!
And what about all that sliding?
Just never mind about that..... that is normal, under control, highly regulated sliding!:-D (that took some major adapting)

This is not Ice Racing! I have to keep telling myself that.:dw:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
It is true. The limit of these cars can be lofty, and reaching it means taking risks that are unnecessary when you're talking about HPDE participation.

I never learned that until I dropped the Cobra and started doing time trials in the Miata. In the Miata, Just to have respectable lap times in the time trials, I need to be on the edge of traction all the way around the track. It is a risk I can afford to take though. My car is not worth a whole lot, it has the proper safety gear......and as such allows me to drive balls out 10/10ths every time I get in the car.

It is very liberating.

The one day I decided to break my own rules, and drive the Cobra to it's limit, I came within two seconds of my class record at the track I was at.....which was set by very fast 911 race car. I also blew a head gasket in the process.....but man..those laps were awesome.

There are two sets of limits you need to set.... Driving limits for yourself, and mechanical limits for the car. If you exceed either...you take on much more risk....either by cost of repair to the machine, or cost of repair of your person.

jvert

Established Member
Tell me about pushing the car. Im driving my 93 foxbody mustang at the track. I cant imagine driving an 03/04 cobra or a corvette. The foxbody scares me a bit. When Im done with the OT events my body is drained. I have alot of respect for autoracers of any kind.

cobra777

Autographx
Established Member
Tell me about pushing the car. Im driving my 93 foxbody mustang at the track. I cant imagine driving an 03/04 cobra or a corvette. The foxbody scares me a bit. When Im done with the OT events my body is drained. I have alot of respect for autoracers of any kind.

I agree. I'm glad they are in 20 minute sessions. I'm ready to get off the track and regain my nerves at that point.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Best part of Open Track, no matter how good you get, you have the same amount of track time.
In drags and AX, the better you get, the less track time for your $$. LOL

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

The best way to learn how to drive is:

A: On street tires

B: In the rain

C: On relatively slow tracks

D: Ice racing (Jimmy's favorite)

This teaches you ultimate car control. How to balance a car with the throttle and the steering wheel on the ragged edge, going as freaking fast as you can!

Think about balancing a ball bearing on the edge of a razor blade. This is car control.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Bruce aren't you up north far enough to have lakes with at least 13" of ICE?
I know there are Ice Racing clubs in the upper mid west especial border states with all those lakes.
You should hook up with one near you and try it some time, you would be "a natural". They usually have both rubber to ice and studded classes. Often a no touch event also that's timed.

Then you could get addicted to yet another kick ass sport and run all year long!!
MWAHAHAH! (evil laugh):-D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce aren't you up north far enough to have lakes with at least 13" of ICE?
I know there are Ice Racing clubs in the upper mid west especial border states with all those lakes.
You should hook up with one near you and try it some time, you would be "a natural". They usually have both rubber to ice and studded classes. Often a no touch event also that's timed.

Then you could get addicted to yet another kick ass sport and run all year long!!
MWAHAHAH! (evil laugh):-D

Jimmy:

When I was a kid, Winter only lasted 6 months. Now with Global warming it lasts 7! ;-):p

I used to actually like Winter. Had a snowmobile and downhill skied, the whole shootin' match. We'd drive our 4x4 trucks on the ice and 'skitch' (holding onto the tailgate or rear bumper with your feet sliding across the ice) in the Winter. But I don't have much use for Winter any more. I just wrench on the cars for six months jamming to the tunes in my shop. :coolman:

jvert

Established Member
Best part of Open Track, no matter how good you get, you have the same amount of track time.
In drags and AX, the better you get, the less track time for your $$. LOL

I was just thinking that the other day! So true.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Yep, I used to spend three days at a FFW or NMRA event just to run a total of 99 seconds with the hardtop Cobra (low 11's). Now I can spend the same three days getting hours and hours and hours of track time.

Users who are viewing this thread