How much to replace the valve stem oil seals?

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Not to be a smart a$$, but do you have a photo of that part? Are you talking about the valve stems on a tire? If the core in the stem is leaking,, you can replace the core easily. You can buy what you need at ANY auto parts store.

Toasty

Established Member
I was refering to the valve stem/valve seals from the engine heads.Has anyone ever replaced them?

This is a pretty involved repair - I'd say that it would be at least a 2-3K CDN dollars bill to have a dealer do the work. I believe the ford shop manuals dictate head removal to perform the valve stem seal replacement. It is possible to perform the work without removing the heads but if it was me, I'd be removing the heads.

What makes you think your valve stem seals are worn out? How many clicks on your car? These cars always burn a bit of oil, even when they are new. There is a huge amount of misting of oil that occurs in the valvetrain under the valve covers, and a portion of that misted oil always gets sucked into the intake through the PCV system and burnt as part of the incoming air charge. This usually manifests itself as small puffs of blue smoke when shifting under hard acceleration/WOT. Some of our cars do it worse than others - you can install a oil separator in your PCV line to prevent misted oil from getting into your intake.

newfie bullet

Established Member
It has some blue smoke on cold starts and it started about a year ago.I put some Lucas engine sealer in and it stopped.The car has 130,000km now but sits alot.Where can I find more about the oil separator for PCV line and give that a try also.

Users who are viewing this thread