How Much Torque Can The 96 Rear end Take?

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Ive searched but I cant find a answer to my question. About how much torque can the rear on a 96 cobra take before something lets go?

I have a 96 cobra that has a built motor and trans but the only thing done to my rear end so far was adding a set of 3.73 gears. The tires on the back of the car now are nothing special and usually in 1st and 2nd its spin city so I really was never worried about breaking the rear because the car wouldnt hook.

Well now im worried because im throwing on a set of 315 nt05r's in the next couple of weeks. I wont be doing any dig runs because I dont want to break anything before I can upgrade the rear. I am wondering though can I do roll ons safely? Maybe something like starting from a 30 or 40 just to feel the rush? I wouldnt think doing a 60+ roll would hurt anything either? Im thinking if I slowly roll into the throttle in 1st/2nd gear I should be safe.

Im really just worried about those really low rolls where the car might dead hook and worried I could blow the rear. Getting some work done to the car in 2 weeks and numbers should be 6xx/5xx if that helps. Thanks

gq916

Established Member
i dont think you should have any problems doing roll runs with ur new tires..nittos arent that crazy...u should get MTs

CJK440

Established Member
Run it till it blows, upgrade once it pops.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Seen them blow at stickish power levels on street tires and seen them last 50+ launches on slicks.

When it's time its time, ya never know.

Wheel hop, even hop you can't feel (Tire shake) is a killer.

stangbanger856

Established Member
The rear is solid itself. Its the axles and center section that breaks. Buy a FRPP 31 spline diff with carbon fiber clutches($259) and some good 31 spline axles like Strang or Mosor ($270) and call it a day.

Ohh and some good ARP wheel studs are nice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread