How not to drive on course

Primaris

Established Member
Hehe. Hey it's way harder to autocross than 99% of the people on this board think. Did the smoky 360 get you a talking to? At most SCCA events they are severely frowned upon :( Rooooooll into that throttle. BTW that is minor compared to some of the offs I've had.

I just put some autocross vids up on my site. Check em out if you like.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Like my old saying goes, if you don't have enough grip to drive it, slide it!?? ;-) :rockon:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
Primaris said:
Did the smoky 360 get you a talking to? At most SCCA events they are severely frowned upon

worse.. I'm a steward... got yelled at pretty good.. more for the arm out the window of my ride along :nonono:

96RagTop

Too slow, car wont go.
Established Member
Old thread but at one of my first auto-x events i drove mt dads n/a 944 and i found myself getting a 360 degree view about 30 feet from the finish line. All in good fun tho, thats what its for. I would think auto-x is as much to get a good time as it is to learn to drive your car at its limit on a controlled course!!! AND ITS FUN!

bransharksfan

2006 ST Class AutoX CHAMP
Established Member
THAT LOOKED KILLER!

I auto x my L and I do the 360s alot. Of coarse I am not out there for times. I am out there to do the stuff I cant do on the streets!

The people that run the Auto X where I live are a lot more relaxed than the SCCA peeps. You can see my vid on my myspace page. www.myspace.com/svtlightning

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
Good stuff man. Only reason i'd be pissed is cuz you almost took out the timing box at the end of the run. Two people did that in a row at our autox's and it set us back about 30 min. They prolly thought you should know better than to drive like a rookie especially that close to the end where the course is designed to slow you down. Like i said, besides the timing box i woulda been clapping.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
WTF...you're there to push the limits of your car. You were obviously trying to make up our time lost at the other end of the course and pushed it over the line.

The timing boxes are replaceable...you don't want people taking them out all the time, but the course designer should not have put a turn in there so close to the timing boxes anyway. That's just inviting that sort of a problem. I know parking lot confinement constricts course design...but it could have been better than that...

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I like that course setup anyway you could get me the layout for it? We've got alot of room to work with here at Salina and I'm always looking for new course layout ideas.

Our last one was designed by a guy with an AMX that hates slaloms but likes long sweeping turns, it was an interesting/boring/unchallenging course to say the least.

Take out a timing box mid event and see the reactions of people about what just happened to their replaceable timing box!!!

fastbird86

Established Member
JoeAsheville said:
WTF...you're there to push the limits of your car. You were obviously trying to make up our time lost at the other end of the course and pushed it over the line.

SCCA has a two spin rule, if you spin twice on couse during a run you should drive slowly through the course back to grid or the pit area!

I imagine that a long time ago someone kept the hammer down after spinning the car twice and spun again and something bad happend, or its a rule to keep everyone in check to make sure we don't get to reckless on course!

Oh and if you spin, there is no way to make up time on course to recover from it, end of story!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Yeah, one spin, one cone, anything off even a little and that run is shot to hell. No point in trying too hard to save it.

And as far as that timing box being replaceable, haha, that's funny. Try it, and see how many other event's you're not welcome to attend. You're not out there to show off your mad donut skillz, that's not the place for it. There's waaay too much at risk to have someone out there out of control and careless about their equipment.

That vid was cool. Looked fun.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
You guys are really being a bunch of knotheads...

The timing box IS replaceable...as compared to the T&S equipment that it's connected to at the other end, as well as the HUMANS sitting in front of it. Run over the T&S trailer, and not only will you not be invited back, you'll most likely be hit with a lawsuit.

Also, about the making up time issue...how else can you explain why he was still trying and driving hard after his spin? He obviously didn't drive at an idle through the rest of the course, the way you guys are suggesting.

:rolleyes:

Primaris

Established Member
There is no such thing as making up time.

You have perfection. Everything else is slower. One mistake and you are not perfect. This "lost" time cannot be made up some where else, or that would be the perfect way to drive that some where else.

Follow? If you don't don't sweat it. A lot of people never wrap their minds around this fact.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
That's exactly what I mean. One little error, and that run is now pointless. It's like missing a shift in a drag race. You don't simply try to make up for it because you're already going as fast as you can.

Also, most of the enjoyment is driving the car hard. That's why when someone screws up they don't slowly drive off course. They drive it hard because it's fun. But there is no making up for mistakes during a run.

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
MORE VIDS TO COME...

www.wpgfordguy.com is where we keep em...

and yes I love the s281 suspension, but a good alignment {-1.8 camber, 6 caster and toe'd out an 16th on an inch} . is the best mod for s197's by far

Users who are viewing this thread