How old were you when you got your 1st Mustang...

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I had almost no credit history at the time so I was paying a 14% interest rate on a 4 year term through Navy Fed. So pretty bad lol. I've come a long way now thankfully

I would have expected worse honestly... like 20% lol. My first loan was 12% with no credit history so it sounds about right to me.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I was 15 when I bought my uncles '96 Cobra. Then I got a 1988 GT that didn't run worth a damn and sold it to a friend. Then traded the Cobra on a 2007 GT and that on my current 2014 GT and I'm 23 now

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Got my first at 17, 89 Coupe. Busted my knuckles on that car for 11 years and loved every second of it. Sold it in 2010 to a buddy. Now I have a 98 Cobra and my wife has a 03 Cobra.

TP03

Established Member
19 or 20, it was a 95 V6 for my DD. What a gutless wonder.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
16 when I bought my 96 V6.

Then...24, ex wife sold it when I was deployed
8e08e3c275a5aed796a96d5c1b259ae2.jpg

26, pos I bought when I got back and needed a car.
54116ceb929f64daf490d2b2388df128.jpg

27, mach I bought to replace the pos.
8cd69a7ef4561929a83aa6dc78f9bbd3.jpg

28, Car I bought with my second ex wife.
d296b42d5ccdc32218057724d062a2a7.jpg

31, my precious.
d0b61efeb156390fe5204d7700929684.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member
Great practice, but I wouldn't allow my kid to buy an absolute turd just because it was slow. Not unless I was trying to prove another lesson on paying a little more upfront. Shouldn't keep your kid poor to teach a lesson.

Anyhow I was 23 when I bought my 94 GT as a birthday present to me. It was $2300 - so this is why I quoted. In the long run I should've spent more. It ended up being gorgeous and very fast, but fighting the constant cancer was abismle. In the end you have a bunch of coin in a not so nice car.

Car was 14yrs old at the time for reference.

You're correct, but at the time I had no other options. We both knew the 2.3l Mustang was no race car, but we didn't expect the amount of trouble it gave. Sure, the thing kept me broke the entire time I owned it, but when I could finally afford a nicer car I had that experience to rely on and could appreciate it more.
Tough lesson but it was good for me.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
had a 1999 v6 brand new when I was 17. It was green and had gold paint on all the horse emblems with a gold side stripe. Thing was a showroom car on the dealer floor. Pretty ugly. Bought it to make my dad happy. I wanted a white one that was on the lot.

blue 07

Established Member
I was 17, 1980. Bought a 1970 Mach 1, 351 C, Hurst 4 speed, I was in heaven. Many stories .... lets just say the back seat used to lay down flat, that GD hinge was always in the way !! Have had 6 stangs since

spectreman

Established Member
It was 1988. I was 27 and about to buy my first 'new to me' car, an '88 LX 5.0 hatchback in gray. I had been a Camaro guy until that point- part of me still loves those Camaro's- but that LX was the perfect sleeper.

At the time, it was enormously powerful for a stock car and drove, braked & handled commendably. 'Course my memory could be failing at this point & I'm just hallucinating over how fine a ride it was. I distinctly remember how ice cold the a/c blew- you coulda hung meat in that car. Then again, my previous Z28 had no a/c and nothing like driving in SoFla summers w/out a/c so again, my memory may not be perfect.

I drove that car for 10 years and to 110k on the odo. At that point, the a/c was done and was going to cost $1500 to repair; no way I was dropping that kind of cash. I next purchased a new '98 GT w/the new 4.6l engine, in a shiny blue. That car, despite being rated as the same HP/torque, was a dawg, a girl's car, gutless, no torque. I eventually sold that and found a primo used, extremely low mileage and nicely modded '02 GT in mineral gray clearcoat- just gorgeous. The previous owner dropped about $5g's in mods and then decided it didn't ride like a Lincoln so he traded it in. I stole that car from the dealership. Had to sell a few years later so my wife could get a new car. Still miss that ride.

Things were looking up in '08 and it was time for a 'new' ride again. I fell deeply in love w/the S197 version of the Bullitt, dark highland green, of course- & commenced shopping; found a beautiful low mileage one, made the deal and was instantly in love. The car only had 800 miles on the odo upon purchase. The previous owner, a paraplegic who was missing his r. arm, had purchased it but discovered it wasn't too easy to shift w/his left- no kidding, true story. The car rode like a Caddy compared to my former '02 and I loved the way it looked, rode, handled, braked and sounded.

Unfortunately, that car was cursed. It was rear ended the first time 3 weeks into ownership. Cosmetic damage this time only. 2 years later it got crumpled in a 30 MPH rear ender. I thought she was a goner but $16g's later, she was fully restored, like new. A few years after that, she got sideswiped in a parking lot. Oy. Closing in on 70k on the odo, I finally gave up.

The S550 gen was on the verge of release and I had seen a few being test run here in SoFla. I HATED the way they looked so my wife, bless her heart sez to me, "Go buy a '14 GT before they're all gone." And so I did. I thought I'd go back to the LX 5.0 days and try to find a sleeper so I went looking for a gray '14 GT w/the track pack. Quantities were sorely limited at that point because the 15's were about to be released but I found one and made the deal.

I enjoyed that car and did some really basic upgrades to it but the car just never sang to me, even tho it was probably the best Stang I'd ever owned from a performance, technological and build standard. It just had no personality and the sleeper car effect I found boring. I probably should've gotten one in dark blue or grabber blue.

So after 2 years of ownership, that one went away too as I began to search for another Bullitt. Then someone suggested I go drive a GT500... and I did. Actually I drove a few from the '07-09 range. The s/c whine became intoxicating. I really wanted and could've done another Bullitt but the GT500 had burned its way into my head so once again, the hunt was on.

I found my low mileage, white w/racing blue stripes, '09 GT500 in TX, made the deal and drove her home. I'm enjoying this car immensely altho my wife has restricted me from modding it too much. She swears that once I'm done modding it, I get bored and want something else. She may have a point but I'm really happy w/this car at this time.

...altho the '03-04 Mach 1 in Azure blue are really good looking cars too. Hmmmmm.
Lee

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
1985, got a used 1985 Mustang GT. Light Regetta blue, 5spd, pw, pl, am/fm, ac. Last of the 4barrel carbs, 1st year of roller cam. The original sticker was like $12,400.

Ravenson

Established Member
I was 16, first mustang was a 70 coupe with a 302... got it for 900... faded ford blue with a bright red door... got pulled over when I drove it about 3.5 miles from the guy I bought it from our my house...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

helloWorld

Established Member
I was 20 years old when I purchased my 2013 Mustang GT in May of 2012, which was also my first vehicle. I was fresh out of 68A (Biomed Technician) training from Fort Sam Houston and I just got my first real job (I am a reservist) several states away from where I lived at the time. I needed to buy a vehicle so I could live on my own and why not have a decently powered V8 as a first car?

Sold that car this September after I just turned 25 and bought myself a 2012 CTS-V!

Users who are viewing this thread