How the eff do I get this laptop to work on the TV?

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Ok, so my parents are trying to hook the laptop up to their Samsung plasma TV. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite with a RGB monitor output. We are currently trying to use a VGA cable that has the blue, green, and red RCA style outputs. The TV doesn't reconignize the laptop.

What am I screwing up?

Lobo_Loco

La Mera Vena
Established Member
use the s-video cable? or then just switch the viewing options(pushing the fn button and f5 i think)....that how i did it

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Tried teh FN plus F5 key. TV is not seeing the laptop signal. Do we need a VGA to HDMI cable for this to work?

JasonSnake

Established Member
No. It's the 15 pin male plug thing into the laptop, and the other end of the cable is red, blue, and green plugs that go into the RCA style jacks.

You may have to manually enable the laptop VGA port in the video control panel. Not sure if your laptop uses NVidia or ATI but right-click around the desktop area and see if the context menu says "NVidia Control Panel"

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
No. It's the 15 pin male plug thing into the laptop, and the other end of the cable is red, blue, and green plugs that go into the RCA style jacks.

Yes, that is a VGA to component cable. Taking a shot in the dark here. Are you sure that you are plugging the component video out into the component inputs on the TV and not the composite input?

fknsmshn

Established Member
First thing Id check would be the component video connections, make sure theyre hooked to an input. Then Id check the input selection of the TV. (Not tryin to talk to you like your a tard, but just listin everythin I would do)

Next, when I use my HP, in order to get it to show up on a TV I hafta right click on the desktop go to graphics properties, and set the out put to digital TV. I can even go to screen resolution after I right click and get the same results. Again this is an HP runnin Windows 7. So your might be different, but you light be able to use this.

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
don't use S video it will look like ass..

Just keep fiddling with your display preferences..

Users who are viewing this thread