HOW TO: 2011 Resonator Delete

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
So for 2011 Ford decided to neuter the exhaust note for the Raptors by adding a resonator in front of the muffler.

Basically it is a short, perforated core muffler unto itself.

It helped cut the drone @ 2000 for the SuperCrew owners. Though it may work for the general public; it's not how the SVT boys wanted it to sound I'm sure.

The part and procedure below only applies to the SCAB trucks. YMMV on the Crew because this pipe section is probably longer for the Crew and thus won't work for ya'll.

I pulled a 2010 VIN for a 6.2 truck and had Steve @ Tousley dig up the part number for the OEM straight pipe section. This allows the 2011 crowd to do a resonator delete in 15 minutes or less with basic hand tools.

Tools Needed:
3/8" drive ratchet
10mm socket
13mm socket
15mm deep well socket

Small hammer, block of wood, and anti-seize are optional.

Make sure your truck is COLD and has been sitting overnight before attempting this. Exhaust must be cold, wear gloves, eye protection and a skid-lid if you have a fear of this falling on your head.

Part number: AL3Z5A212D

IMG_3719.jpg

As you can see, the resonator is a baby muffler. I'm sure someone will running this by itself without the OEM muffler in place ;-)

IMG_3716.jpg

The resonator and straight pipe replacement side x side:

IMG_3715.jpg

Procedure:

COLD exhaust...

Using the 15mm deep well; loosen the band clamp located to the rear of the resonator and in front of the muffler.

13mm socket: remove the two bolts holding the ball-flange together

10mm socket: Loosen the LOWER muffler hangar bolt. Remove the upper bolt. Hold the pipe up while doing this. Removing this bolt will allow you to drop the pipe downward and out of line so it will slide down and forward.

IMG_3720.jpg

Once dropped down; rotate the assembly as necessary to clock the alignment pin @ the clamp into it's slot so it can slide off.

Replace with straight pipe and reverse procedure.

Apply antiseize to the bolts if so desired.

Enjoy your new deeper/louder exhaust note :beer:

It's not a *huge* difference, but it's a nice increase in volume and will be for those that want something between the OEM 2011 exhaust and a Magnaflow/Borla setup.

Last edited:

42RCODE

To Many Toys !
Established Member
Has anyone else done this mod? And if so, what was the result? Better sound?

I did not do the exact mod but what I did was cut out the resonator and replaced it with a piece of pipe at the same time I had my Flowmaster muffler welded in. Great mod and now my Raptor sounds like it should.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Has anyone else done this mod? And if so, what was the result? Better sound?

Yes, it offers a very mild increase in volume with the stock exhaust. It's not a huge difference.

It will make most normal aftermarket mufflers about 25%+ louder, vs. running aftermarket with the resonator. There is a significant difference in having it in vs. out in this case.

Quiet to loud...

Stock w/resonator
Stock w/o restonator
Magnaflow w/resonator
Magnaflow w/o restonator

I've run all of these steps.

Stock w/o will likely be my long-term choice with young kids.

But the big kid in me loves having the Maggi on with the resonator out. By far the BEST and most "right" sounding setup. Sounds like a proper hotrod :burnout::burnout: Borderline, but not toooo loud.

NJSP117

Established Member
They don't make the resonator delete pipe anymore, so I'd have to do the cut and weld version. Is there any reason NOT to remove the resonator? Do you lose anything like low end torque or anything?

NJSP117

Established Member
I had the resonator cut out and a piece of pipe added in....didn't make much of a difference...only when you're really getting on it do I notice a sound difference....but at least it's something...

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
^ Did you verify it was a straight pipe? The p/n I posted was superseded by the later resonator assembly...

FX4ALL

Established Member
Sorry I didn't update.

The place I ordered from emailed me shortly after my order informing me the pn I ordered was no longer available.

Users who are viewing this thread