How To Adjust Clutch Cable

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
well shit i just did it, took me longer readin and understandin the thread than actually doing it...only 15 mins...this shit is great the car shifts unvelibable now:beer:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
well guys i must have milked this free mod for too long cuz now it is not holding and it sounds like the white teeth are stripped. it pops back down after a couple of minutes of driving now

nice while it lasted tho!!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
well guys i must have milked this free mod for too long cuz now it is not holding and it sounds like the white teeth are stripped. it pops back down after a couple of minutes of driving now!
You posted before that you did not bend the plate out of the way; if you don't do this then the adjustment will not stay.

562cobra

Hlistr_07RR ftl
Established Member
i did this mod and came out happy. wasnt that hard at all. i didn't bend the metal plate. so bending the metal plate concerns only if you powershift/speedshift? the hard part for me was, just getting down there. 6'2" 305lbs. wow. thanks to the OP. i see that you're in socal, so am i.
later

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
I actually cut abot 4-5 cm off didnt bend it and I can power shift no prob and gears now slide in without let the gas go.
Ivan029.jpg

Ivan030.jpg

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
so bending the metal plate concerns only if you powershift/speedshift?
No you got to do something about the plate, eventually the clutch pedal will come up with enough force to pop your adjustment setting out.

You guys are killing me! :whine:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
lol

yup again my laziness and chimpanzee-like attention to detail has now come back to bite me in the form of stripped teeth! so bend that plate while you guys still can

562cobra

Hlistr_07RR ftl
Established Member
how can you tell if it's too much?

mine did around 4 clicks.

when im shifting at high rpms (5k +) it is hard to switch gears. i have to double clutch so the gear can go in. anyone know what is the cause?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I would say that when you press very lightly on the pedal it should easily move down about a 1/2" before you have to put some serious pressure on it. Also the clutch should start to engage about halfway up from the floor. If not, the cable is too tight.
when im shifting at high rpms (5k +) it is hard to switch gears. i have to double clutch so the gear can go in. anyone know what is the cause?
I would try some different tranny fluid, Synchromesh worked very well in mine. Otherwise this could just be an indicator that your clutch is on it's way out.

Last edited:

562cobra

Hlistr_07RR ftl
Established Member
thanks jmproductions. i will try the synchromesh.

what brand do you reccommend? hopefully that will be the problem. backup clutch is in garage.

Last edited:

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member

mine did around 4 clicks.

I had the same prob and I cut thr plate a few cm and I can shift with out let n go of the gas just cut the plate.

racerbox77

Established Member
So I was about to order an adjustable clutch cable with quadrant and firewall adj. I figured I'd check my trusty Stang site first and came across this.
I've done this mod in the past with other cars (all Fox's) and the cables seem to break after awhile (or teeth strip) from beating on them too much.
Also if this mod brings the clutch pedal even higher compared to the brake pedal I dont want to do this. Is that the case?

racerbox77

Established Member
So I read it correctly it does bring the pedal up a little. Would buying a firewall adjuster and using the stock cable and quadrant work and allow the pedal do be even or near even with brake? Will the firewall adjusters work with the stock set up? Thanks

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
So I read it correctly it does bring the pedal up a little. Would buying a firewall adjuster and using the stock cable and quadrant work and allow the pedal do be even or near even with brake? Will the firewall adjusters work with the stock set up? Thanks
I think you'll need an aftermarket quadrant to get the pedal lower. The stock setup requires a lot of range of movement from the clutch pedal.

racerbox77

Established Member
I just went back out in the garage to figure this stock quadrant adjustment out. The thing that threw me off was Jmproductions stated you need to hold the hook. Well on Fox bodys at least that hook is attached to the quadrant (all one piece). So I bent the piece of metal that was forcing the adjuster to pop out back maybe an inch. It is now contacting the back of the adjuster. After doing that I was able to get a couple clicks out of the quadrant.
The clutch is now starting to engage about 1/3 from the floor. It used to start engaging like an inch off the floor. I thought my synchros were going bad in my tranny but now it shifts so smoothly! I just took it around the block a banged 3rd and 4th with ease! For a while I was thinkin I lost my ability to power shift. Haha this is great! Thanks for the How To!

Users who are viewing this thread