How to calm a hyper dog down?

Monster Mach

Established Member
Iv got a 9 year old lab that has been outside most of her life because she is just too hyper. We are trying to train her to be inside because we are getting a puppy and would love to have all 3 dogs being indoor dogs.

What do you folks recommend to teach an old dog a new trick lol.

She just runs around the house like its a race track

Tips anyone?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Take her somewhere and throw a ball and play with her for a while. She probably doesn't get a lot of stimulation being an outdoor dog.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Take her somewhere and throw a ball and play with her for a while. She probably doesn't get a lot of stimulation being an outdoor dog.

We take her for walks all the time it's just she has epilepsy so we can't push her too hard. It's almost like she loves being in a cage because she runs to it and waits

Monster Mach

Established Member
If they made it for dogs she would be the perfect case for it. She literally runs and runs and runs and runs for hours and hours she never stops lmao till she sees a cage then she sits in it like a good girl and waits

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
My Dad had a border collie like that.
You could walk him for 4 hours a day, but he was always so damn happy to see people, that he would run laps around the house.

What are you feeding the dog?
Maybe the vet has a different diet that may curb her high energy levels. :shrug:

Monster Mach

Established Member
My Dad had a border collie like that.
You could walk him for 4 hours a day, but he was always so damn happy to see people, that he would run laps around the house.

What are you feeding the dog?
Maybe the vet has a different diet that may curb her high energy levels. :shrug:

Purina but we will have to check that out

svtaddict

Established Member
one benadryl tablet. it did wonders during 4th of july. calms them right down.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Bark like a dog yourself, jump up in the air as high as you can, while holding bacon in both your hands.

That usually calms my dog down.

oneof185

Established Member
I believe at that age, if she's been primarily an outside dog, she is probably more hyper when she does get let in than she will be once she settles in. Exercise as mentioned is good but you're not going to wear her down all day. So I think once "it's not new" anymore, she will calm down.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
run up and do a body slam on the dog and then pin him by the neck and whisper in his ear what youll have done to his balls if he doesnt calm down

I actually used to do exactly that to my ex-room mates black lab all the time. obviously I didn't body slam him but he was super hyper so if he was really pissing me the F off I would literally tackle him to the ground (id act serious but obviously I was doing it in a playful way) and then Id pin him so hes completely still and whisper threats into his ear, even though I was just messing around he usually got the picture lol

Last edited:

BMR Tech

This always works well for my Great Dane and my wifes annoying Schnauzer:

tabasco-habanero-sauce.jpg

allister

Established Member

+10000

They are hyper because they have energy to burn. She is also probably a crackhead when you let her in the house because she's never in the house and doesn't know what to do with herself.

She'll get used to it eventually, but you really need to make sure she's getting enough exercise. If she doesn't have a yard to run around freely in, then you need to be taking her on daily walks at least an hour total a day.

Also see if you have any local doggy day cares. She'll want to do nothing but sleep in the evening after spending a day playing with other dogs.

Just curious, if she's been an outside dog all this time, why are you getting a third dog? Maybe you should wait until she's settled in the house for awhile and make sure 3 dogs aren't going to be too many?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
flirt pole......I now realize how hyper bull terriers are....lol lifesaver

Dragu1a

Established Member

that's not funny.

one benadryl tablet. it did wonders during 4th of july. calms them right down.

i've tried that with my dog(65lb bulldog). doesn't phase her. my brothers dog(105lb italian mastiff) goes in a coma for about 4hrs. go figure.

we used to take her to a dog park - that worked like a charm and it was free. the running and all the mental stimulation of other people and dogs wore her out...but she blew a knee out at 1yr old, had $6k in surgeries for both knees(1 in Jan, the other in June) and hasn't recouped enough to go back yet.

every now and then i'll drop her off at PetSmart for day camp. costs about $25 for a day(same results as dog park, people and other dogs. only you get the day off) play from 9-5 with a snack break. i usually take her once every couple of weeks or so. she absolutely loves it.

cliffs - mental stimulation. even when i just take her out to potty and she gets to go see the neighbors and the kids and other dogs, it's exciting and it wears her out.

Users who are viewing this thread